Is my Core i7 2600s bottlenecking my HD 7950?

By Jory Anderson
Dec 13, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,773   +1,429

I hope you have at least a 500W power supply. If not you will need one for that card. As for the CPU, I think you will be fine with the i7-2600S. My only other concern would be, if you have clearance in that HP case for the HD 7950.

Radeon HD 7950
  2. Jory Anderson

Jory Anderson Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 21

Yep, I got my new 550W PSU today, and I already measured out my case before I bought it, I only need to move some cords from the PSU to fit it, which are all probably going to go into my empty DVD-Rom and Hard Drive bay slots.

PSU

EDIT: One more thing, I was wondering if you could give me tips on how to OC my new card. I've noticed it's easily OC able.
  3. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Download MSI Afterburner, it's pretty intuitive to use. I suggest keeping the voltage at stock and upping the core/memory clocks to 1000Mhz/1500Mhz and going from there. You can also create a custom fan profile if your card is getting too hot (which it might do in that case).
  4. Jory Anderson

Jory Anderson Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 21

Alright, thanks! Which one is better? TriXX or Afterburner?
  5. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Whichever interface you prefer really, they do the same things.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.