Is my LCD-PC connection incorrectly set up?

Hi,
I have an LCD (AOC) which shipped w/a VGA cable only. My cpu= Intel Core i5, my GPU=ATI Radeon HD 5770, my OS=Win 7 x64. The vid card has several ports available for choosing connection type incl. VGA, DVI-I (?) & HDMI. The monitor has 2 ports, 1 for VGA & one for DVI. Currently, I have my connection between the monitor & my computer as VGA cable w/DVI adapter (came w/ATI GPU) & the VGA head is attached to my LCD while the DVI-adapter is physically connected to the computer.
I have tried all the troubleshooting tips & recommended settings from both ATI support site as well as Microsoft, but my screen resolution (set to its native rez of 1920x1080 @ 60 Htz.) continues to be poor. Therefore, ttf rendering is also poor & difficult to read even w/default font size reconfigured to =11.
BTW, all relevant drivers are up-to-date. When I access the graphics system's control module, it appears that the card "sees" my monitor as a CRT-type monitor, which may be caused by the physical location of the DVI port on my tower (near the bottom, lower half of the panel in rear of tower.) and may not be related to poor display output. However, when I power-down my desktop, the monitor will display the "d-sub" indicator, which I am assuming means that I'm only receiving an analog signal, not a digital one as I'd expect since I'm using a DVI adapter.
Do I have the cable hooked up incorrectly? Do I need another type of adapter? Does an ATI-made VGA-DVI adapter not work w/AOC-made monitors? Or do I just have a sucky display panel (23" AOC 2330V, full HD). If there's anyone out there who might know what I've done incorrectly or who knows connectors, please assist a fed-up do-it-your-selfer (obviously) who has reached the limits of personal capabilities. Thanks All!

Why not just buy a DVI cable and connect through the DVI ports on the monitor and the video card?

I will if I have to of course. But I had hoped to figure out/learn the cause of my issue because I'm worried that there may be a hardware failure happening here, in which case purchasing a different cable won't resolve anything & I'll only end up back at square 1. Since I'm not qualified to take apart my tower & wouldn't know what I'd be looking for anyway, I guess I'm trying to do a process-of-elim.-thing to rule out faulty hardware. (This) GPU was purchased only about 5 months ago so it should still be covered under manufacture's warranty.
Plus, I'd like to actually know what the prob. is. As far as my knowledge of connection-types go, I just don't understand why the VGA-DVI adapter config. isn't working & hoped there would be someone out there who does.

have you tried 'auto adjust' and '75hz' setting? i encounter 'blurry' screen before, and after setting the refresh rate it happened to be lot better.

Thank you for replying & yes, I have tried a variety of configs including native rez @ 72 & 75 Htz. The display quality doesn't improve. I've also tried the other possible resolutions which are available but maintain the 1.777 (WS) ratio. But nothing produces an improvement in graphics.
Also, I'm "locked" out of the OSD (Control panel) for the monitor since all display settings are handled via graphics controller. But none of the settings available through the monitor itself allowed for improving clarity of ttf (for example). I guess I'll just give in & buy a DVI-D cable & cross my fingers that it fixes things as I've given it my best shot to troubleshoot the prob. myself.
Thanks All for assists given.

Basically, AMD drivers have problems with VGA connections when used in conjuction with Windows 7 OS. If you want to avoid the problem then use DVI -DVI. This will restore your settings and give you better image quality.
If you're very keen on utilizing the VGA port for whatever reason you can try using the fix mentioned in this thread (last post on the page). I'd verify it but at present I'm not on an machine running AMD graphics

:D Got a DVI-DVI cable & the screen rez is much, much better. I guess I should have realized AMD(GPU) wouldn't like a VGA connection (even w/an adapter) when I saw that their vid card comes prepackaged w/a DVI adapter! Thanks Everyone.

Back