Is my video card crapping out on me? :(

treeski

Well, take a look at this screenshot of my desktop's... desktop.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd411/fuzzylogician/Capture2.jpg

My videocard is the ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 and the computer is about three years old. The other system specs are listed in my profile.
My drivers are all up to date. I haven't had any other problems with the computer.

Interestingly, if I play a video, the picture looks just fine, unless I mess with the windows size or go into full screen.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to save mah baby? :(

Thanks...

Artifacts ahoy!

Assuming that you've already made sure the card is free of dust buildup and temps are fairly normal then it's time to bid the card adieu- not an unusual occurance with HD4870X2 and 4870's of reference design unfortunately.

You could try to resurrect the card using the miracle of card baking -assuming that the card is out of warranty (I assume at 3 years old that would be the case)- which is a ghetto version of a SMT reflow oven.
This a last resort measure you understand, and the percentages for the 4870 based cards are low compared with most of the success stories on the net (mainly nvidia cards) due to the fact that many 4870 failures occur due to long term overheating of the VITEC and PULSE chips, as well as VRM's -i.e. not a cracked solder joint that can be reflowed.

Thanks people... esp. x/0...
It's a shame that the one time I splurge on a really nice card... it doesn't even last me.
I'll probably try baking the card. Enough people seem to have had some success with it.
If I can can get it to last until the end of the semester I'll be happy.
I would jump on this as a chance to enjoy new DX11 technology, but I really don't even play games anymore.
Ah well... to the oven!

I just want to report that I baked my card last night and huzzah! It's working again!
I disassembled it, propped it up on some aluminum balls and baked it at 375 degrees (F) for 8 minutes. Who knows how long it'll last, but I'm pretty psyched that it worked!

Back