TechSpot

Is Spyware Doctor worth buying?

By wubuscmh
May 29, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I had AdAware SE, HiJackThis, Spybot S&D, CW Shredder, AboutBuster, and the free AVG virus software, and I thought I was 'clean', but I tried running a trial version of Spyware Doctor and it found 499 infections!!

Is that for real? The trial version killed 400+ but said I had to buy the software to kill the remaining 70+ infections. What gives, and should I buy it? Attached is the log file it spit out.

2. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

It's prolly Spyware that came bundled with it. :p

3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Company:
    PC Tools, www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/
    Price:
    $39.95 direct

Pros:
    Informative descriptions of the nature of detected threats.
    Cons:
    Poor real-time blocking. Confusing configuration. Sometimes identified itself as a suspect program.
    Bottom Line:
    Spyware Doctor's moderately effective scanning is offset by limited effectiveness of real-time blocking and other shortcomings.

Review
    Given the other strong antispyware options on the market today, PC Tools' Spyware Doctor left us underwhelmed. Its OnGuard real-time blocking capability did little to prevent infestation... See full review here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1645388,00.asp

In other words, don't waste your money on it.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.