Is the 256MB nVidia GeForce 6800 good for playing video games? Does it cause lag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PCI-e or AGP? If PCI-e, get the 6800GS. It should handle every game on at least medium settings fast, mostly high.

It'll depend on the rest of your system of course, but the 6800 is a great entry level card. For the newest games, you will end up turning some of the settings down just a hair, to get decent framerates, but it'll run any game that is currently out without problems.

What is your budget, and are you looking at AGP or PCI-e cards? Have you checked out the 6800GS?

Wooosh!!! Some fast responses there. :haha:

I've seen some pretty good pricing for the 7600GS which I think is slightly better then 6800GT. Keep that in mind too.

It's entry level today?

I guess there's 2 kinds of people in this world now. Those that have a 7800GTX (or 2) and those that don't. :haha: Psss... DonN has the 7800GTX.

It's entry level today?

kirock said:
I guess there's 2 kinds of people in this world now. Those that have a 7800GTX (or 2) and those that don't. :haha: Psss... DonN has the 7800GTX.

I thought about it before calling the 6800 an entry-level. And I took a deep breath and went for it. It was a big step, I know ;)

Could easily be called a mid-range for sure. Personally I would call the 6800gt or the 6800gs mid-level, but that 6800 vanilla just doesn't have enough hair for me to be called a mid-range. I tend to group it with the 6600GT. I am sure there are those who'd disagree of course.

CrossFire851 said:
DonNagual I highly agree that the 6800gt is entry level also the x700 pro.

:D actually..... I'd call the 6800GT a mid-level myself. They still have enough juice to power most of today's games at midrange settings, wouldn't you say? That is the card I just upgraded from, and had NO complaints about it at all on games like F.E.A.R., AOE3, HL2 etc. All close to high settings with good frame rates.

I was talking about the 6800 vanilla as being a little.... scrawny for the newer games.

Well since he seems to have dropped his own post, let's use it!!
Discussion party on Robgamer's post! :angel:

Take a look at these numbers from Tom's about 7800GT, GTX's and even the 6600GT, in single and SLI mode. I am surprised that a single 7800GTX (manufacturer depended) can just beat an SLI 7800GT set-up!
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/09/seven_of_nvidia/page37.html

Now the next page is the FEAR results and the SLI 7800GT seems to slightly out perform the single high end GTX. (also note how crappy the SLI 6600GT did!!)

So apparently it is still better for me to pay for a single 7800GTX, or now a 7900GTX single card, then buy 2 cheaper (much cheaper) 7800GT's and go SLI. Buying 2 GT's was going to be my plan. Hmmm.

My concern was finding a matching 7800GTX in the future! Like a year from now or more! If I drop $750 on a video card this summer, no way will I do it again next year. (i.e. I wanted to use the other damn PCI-E slot I payed for!)

1 512Mb 7800GTX v.s. 2 7800GT 256MB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back