TechSpot

Is there a program that searches a drive or given directory for large files?

By Jskid
Jan 27, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I don't know where all the space in my C: is going. Is there a program that searches for files of a large size or lists files according to their size?

2. bobcat

bobcat TechSpot Paladin Posts: 688   +67

The following is freeware and doesn't require installation. It will find the 100 largest files on your drive:

Largest Files Finder

SNGX1275 likes this.
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

I know my third party file manager has an advanced search that will do what you are asking. I'm sure there are others, that will do the same thing.
    I just noticed Windows 7 (if it's Windows 7 you are using) built-in search has limited ability to do this as well. From Explorer click in the search box at the top right and you will see a listing for "Date modified:" and "Size:". Click on "Size:" to select the range of file sizes you want to search for.
    • WinDirStat - This app has a nice GUI for showing you where your space is going.

SNGX1275 likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.