As featured in:
- 10+ Tools for Finding and Deleting Duplicate Files on Windows
- Add Tabs to File Explorer and Other Applications Ahead of Windows 10's "Sets" Feature
- Essential Apps You Should Install on a New PC Running Windows or macOS
Total Commander is a file manager replacement that offers multiple language support, search, file comparison, directory synchronization, quick view panel with bitmap display, ZIP, ARJ, LZH, RAR, UC2, TAR, GZ, CAB, ACE archive handling plus plugins, built-in FTP client with FXP, HTTP proxy support, and more.
- Two file windows side by side
- Multiple language and Unicode support
- Enhanced search function
- Compare files (now with editor) / synchronize directories
- Quick View panel with bitmap display
- ZIP, ARJ, LZH, RAR, UC2, TAR, GZ, CAB, ACE archive handling + plugins
- Built-in FTP client with FXP (server to server) and HTTP proxy support
- Parallel port link, multi-rename tool
- Tabbed interface, regular expressions, history+favorites buttons
- Thumbnails view, custom columns, enhanced search
- Compare editor, cursor in lister, separate trees, logging, enhanced overwrite dialog etc.
- Unicode names almost everywhere, long names (>259 characters), password manager for ftp and plugins, synchronize empty dirs, 64 bit context menu, quick file filter (Ctrl+S)
- USB port connection via special direct transfer cable, partial branch view (Ctrl+Shift+B), and many improvements to ftp, synchronizing and other functions And many more!
Total Commander Portable
Download the USB Installer tool first. This little tool allows you to copy an existing installation of Total Commander including all plugins and settings files to an USB stick. This is useful if you want to take Total Commander with you to work on various machines, e.g. for support work. It will automatically detect an existing PortableApps installation on the stick, and add Total Commander to it. The tool will NOT copy programs to the stick to which you link on the button bar.
Android Wi-Fi Transfer Plugin v3.5
This plugin allows to send files from one Android device to another, as well as to any other system with a Web browser! Uses the ZXing QR-Code library.
- Support access points (both creation and connecting to) also on Android 8 and newer versions
- option to use fixed path /8888 with user name/password (DIGEST authentication)
- support WiFi direct server on Android 10, requires LOCATION permission (only requested when needed)
- preserve timestamp on upload (to internal memory on Android 9 and 10 only)
- configurable port number
- show notification during active connections to keep connection alive
- web client: allow to download zip with utf-8 names
Total Commander for Android 3.24
- Fixed: Media player: stop playing when sleep timer runs out (not just pause) to reduce battery load
- Fixed: Icons for internal associations would sometimes get incorrect
- Fixed: The used theme (dark or light) wasn't sent to plugins if no custom language was set
- Fixed: Send theme (dark or light) to WiFi transfer plugin also when sending (sharing) files via copy button - Via WiFi
- Fixed: Icons in top toolbar were not reloaded after just changing between old and new icons
Changes in Total Commander 10.00
The update to 10.00 adds many new functions, see below. It also corrects many errors. Complete list of changes.
New functions in Total Commander 10.00:
- Directories created by MacOS on ExFAT flash drives are now shown in TC. They were not shown because they had the inavlid attribute 8: Volume label
- Always show hidden directory "AppData" in c:\Users\
even with hidden files disabled
- Allow user to install key file automatically when double clicking on it.
- Add a "Zone Transfer" data stream when downloading files via anonymous FTP (Ctrl+F), or HTTP (Ctrl+N) from outside the intranet, like web browsers
- When unpacking files internally or via plugins, copy "Zone Transfer" data stream from archive to unpacked files, just like the Explorer
- New zone transfer option can be disabled via WantZoneData=0
- Always look for key file also in c:\totalcmd, even if Total Commander is installed elsewhere
- Allow to use "Windows Hello" on Windows 10 to securely store master password until TC is closed. Use fingerprint, face or pin to connect again
- Use mouse wheel to scroll through directory tabs (like in Firefox) when not using multi-line tabs
- Zoom thumbnails with Ctrl+Mouse wheel between 10% and 200% of the size configured in Configuration - Options - Thumbnails
- Load thumbnails from EXIF data (preview image) from JPG and various camera RAW formats: Canon RAW 1-3, DNG, Fuji, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic, Pentax, Sony
- New option "Return to locked tab root directory on tab change" in Configuration - Options - Folder tabs
- Show "!" prefix when current dir differs from locked dir on tabs which are locked with directory changes allowed
- New option to only execute command line when it is focused (Configuration - Options - Layout)
- When closing TC while there are unpacked temporary files, show the user the first 3 file names and their origin
- Drop file from outside (e.g. virtual folder in Explorer) to read only directory (e.g. c:\windows): Better dialogs to allow overwrite and copy as admin
- Automatically scale dialog boxes with the chosen font if the font needs more space than the default font
- Ctrl+L on single file now also shows the Zone.Identifier stream data for that file
- Save displayed file types (e.g. *.txt) separately for each tab. Configuration - Options - Folder Tabs - Save displayed file types separately for each tab
- Ctrl+U and Ctrl+Shift+U now also swap the displayed file types if DirTabFilters=1, because they are part of the tab
- Directory menu (Ctrl+D): Option to hide menu items which begin with a user-defined character, by default a question mark '?'
- View modes, Auto-run commands: Put '-' at the start of the command field to not execute commands on tab change, only on directory change
- For locked folder tabs with directory changes allowed, show both the current directory and the locked directory if they are different
- When user cannot save settings (e.g. in Configuration menu or main settings), offer to copy ini files to user profile
- For plugins in write protected directories, intercept calls to CreateFileA/W and all INI functions, and redirect write calls to %APPDATA%\GHISLER\redirect
- Disable redirection of plugins: Add 8192 to RestrictInterface in wincmd.ini or registry
- Specify different ini locations for specific plugins: wincmd.ini [ReplaceIniLocation] (see help)
- New DirectShow media player in Lister, replacing the old one based on Video for Windows (can still be chosen via configuration)
- Support full screen playback via double click or Alt+Enter, leave the same way or with ESC
- Change audio and subtitle streams via context menu
- Configure preferred DirectShow filters via Lister configuration (3rd Tab)
- Show chapters as tickmarks below seek bar, jump there with Ctrl+PageDown/Ctrl+PageUp
- Buttons to jump backward/forward by x seconds (default 10s and 60s, configurable via right click)
- Preload DirectVobSub filter if the source filter has a pin "Subtitle"
- Allow to use LAV filters and ffdshow filters without installing them, by putting them in subdir filter32 or filter64, respectively
- Save last playback position of the last played tracks longer than 10 minutes
- Keep sound pitch constant when changing playback speed, using custom DirectShow filter based on open source SoundTouch.dll
- New option "Additional multimedia file types" and "Additional Irfanview/Xnview file types"
- Internal regular expression library updated to latest version (faster, more functions)
- Warn user when he enters a text in "Find text" which cannot be converted to ANSI and/or ASCII (if checked)
- Allow to use regular expressions and saved searches, with options where to apply them, e.g. one side, both sides, etc. via button [1x]
- New context menu items to show file context menu and file properties, and to edit left/right file
- Show exclamation mark in button "Singles" or "Duplicates" if it isn't down when opening the dialog
Compare by content:
- Show extra listbox with the two lines from the current cursor position for easier character by character comparison
- Show progress dialog when pasting large text buffer takes more than 2 seconds, allows to abort paste, but doesn't revert it
- Focus the bottom 2 line compare list directly with Ctrl+Tab
- Bottom 2 line compare list can be scrolled with cursor left/right, page up/down, home/end, and the mouse wheel
- Ctrl+Mouse wheel now scrolls the two line panel at the bottom even when the mouse isn't on it. Ctrl+Alt+Mouse Wheel still scrolls by page
- Support for OpenSSL 1.1 and newer. The main dll must be named libssl-*_*.dll / libssl-*_*-x64.dll (with *_* the version number, e.g. 1_1), the libcrypto*.dll must NOT be renamed!
- Support checksum created from a stream, showing up as "
-" (checksum followed by two spaces and a dash)
- In checksum files created by other programs, more OpenSSL format types are supported: SHA224, SHA384, SHA3-224, SHA3-256, SHA3-384, SHA3-512
- LOADLIST listfilename loads list of files/folders from text file.
- cm_ZoomIn and cm_ZoomOut to zoom thumbnails (like Ctrl+Mouse wheel)
- cm_syncchangedir: Do not enter a directory when it doesn't exist on the other side. Only turn off cm_synchangedir when the user tries again
- Support parameters 0 (or none)=toggle, 1=set, 2(or -1)=reset for the following internal commands: cm_*Comments, cm_*DirBranch, cm_*DirBranchSel, cm_ToggleAutoViewModeSwitch, cm_SyncChangeDir, cm_SwitchLongNames, cm_SwitchHidSys, cm_SwitchHid, cm_SwitchSys, cm_Switch83Names, cm_FtpHiddenFiles, cm_SwitchDirSort, cm_SwitchOverlayIcons, cm_SwitchWatchDirs, cm_SwitchIgnoreList, cm_SwitchX64Redirection, cm_Vis*
- Command LOADSEARCH
(e.g. on button): Put one equal sign = in front of name to start searching immediately, two == to start and feed to listbox after search
- Improved ZIPFROMLIST command: The file list name can now contain Unicode characters, and the content can be ANSI, UTF-16 (with byte order marker BOM) or UTF-8 (with or without BOM), and the archive name can now also be put in the parameters field.
- New commands to write file list with details and column headers to file/clipboard
- Support parameters 0=toggle, 1=set, 2(or -1)=reset also for: cm_SrcQuickview, cm_LeftQuickview, cm_RightQuickview, cm_SrcQuickInternalOnly, cm_LeftQuickInternalOnly, cm_RightQuickInternalOnly, cm_SeparateQuickview, cm_SeparateQuickInternalOnly
- New internal command OPENATTRIBUTES
Change attributes: +s (subfolders), +a/-a +r/-r +h/-h +s/-s +dDate +tTime +L +L2 Plugin_settings
Placeholders for commands in button bar/start menu:
- All placeholders in button bar or start menu like %N, %P now support substring fields in the form :~start,end, e.g. %N:~2,5 (5 characters from the second) or %N:~-8,5 (5 from the 8-last)
- Placeholders %S, %R, %P%S and %T%R now support appended text for each file. The parameter must be in double quotes, e.g. "%P%S.bak" would append .bak to each name
- New placeholder %B for part of path (including branch view paths): %B or %B0 parent, %B1 grandparent etc. %B-, %B-1, %B-2 same but without branch view
- New placeholder %Bt, %Bt1 etc: Parent, grandparent directory of target folder
- New placeholder %B+ for part of path (including branch view paths), start counting from the beginning: %B+ drive with ":", %B+0 drive without ":", %B+1 first subdirectory, %B+2 second subdirectory etc.
Content plugin fields:
- 3 new internal fields: tc->ZoneId, tc->HostUrl and tc->ReferrerUrl read these fields from Zone.Identifier stream data. ZoneId is set to 0 if not present
- Default to c:\Program Files\totalcmd on new systems. If the user fails to get admin rights, change to c:\totalcmd
- When not installed in Program Files, allow to set permissions for authenticated users to read only, installing user to full control
- New parameter /W enables write protecting target folder: /W0 unchanged, /W1 give current user write rights, /W2 give only elevated users write rights
- Last parameter can be a target path, e.g. installername.exe /F "c:\totalcmdnew"
Release notes for Total Commander 3.11 for Android:
- Android 11 support
- Better support for desktop (DeX) mode
- Install app files with extension .xapk and .apks
- Tap on file without association -> show context menu instead of app picker
- Context menu: Always show "Open as" and "Open with" menu items
- Enable log file within settings
- Media player: Option to change playback speed (Android 6 or newer), Support for vertical videos
- Unpack rar5, 7z, tar, gz, z, bz2, arj, lzh, iso, img, cab in addition to zip and rar
- Multi-rename tool: To use it, select at least one file or folder
- Compare by content (via context menu): Select exactly 2 files
- Backup and install split APK files
- "Open with" now allows to choose between file: and content: URL parameters on Android 10
- Define internal associations for the context menu "Play (foreground)", e.g. to set a player for streaming from plugins
- Hotkeys Ctrl+C, Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V (copy, cut, paste via clipboard) and Ctrl+R (re-read) for users with external keyboard
- Button bar: New parameters action: and category: supported, to explicitly set the action and one or more categories
- Media Player: Show current track and total tracks under icon in overhead notification
- Master password: Let the user choose between the new (BiometricPrompt) and old (FingerprintManager) fingerprint functions
- Support wildcards in ignore list, e.g. *~ or name*.*
- Apply ignore list also to virtual folders like ///_SD-Card
- Search function: Added "Older than" option
- Support for Android 10
Windows, macOS and Linux 9.51 release notes:
- Dark mode, starting with Windows XP, full support with Windows 10 1809 (Fall 2018), unofficially also with older Windows versions (ForceDarkModeOptions=1)
- Mouse cursor now jumps to default button if this is enabled in Control Panel under "Mouse"
- Show up to 3 connected USB devices without drive letter (e.g. phones, tablets) also in drive buttonbar
- Increased directory history length to 200 (configurable via HistoryLenStored)
- History: Only show directories in which the user performed some operation (configurable). Alt+Shift+Down arrow shows full history
- Drive dropdown list, drive buttonbar: Show "eject" overlay over drive icon for removable drives
- When scrolling through file lists with the keyboard, keep a margin of 4 lines above/below the current position (configurable)
- Directory panels: Show for hard links/soft links to files instead of 0 size
- Ctrl+Q quick view: Show contents of link target instead of lnk file content
- Configuration - Options - Display: New option "Append \" to show folders as Folder\ instead of [Folder]
- Internal associations: Optional: Add extra verbs from ALL matching filters, default "open" only from the first match
- Show "New" submenu also in context menu for [..] entry, to create new file in current directory
- Windows 10, context menu: Menu item "Share" didn't do anything -> handle it internally
- Quick search dialog: Clear search with Ctrl+Y
- Right click on directory tab -> "Recently closed tabs"
- Show location of Total Commander EXE file in about box
- Archives: Choose codepage when unpacking files, e.g. to unpack names with cyrillic characters. Show [Auto] or chosen encoding in tab header.
- OneDrive folder: Handle folders appearing as file system links
- F5 copy dialog: Support directory hotlist (Ctrl+D)
- Create CRC checksums: New options to use Unix format, and to always use UTF-8
- Support substrings from environment variables, e.g. %variable:~2,3%
FTP / File system plugins:
- Transfer from FTP server to FTP server with F5: Option to copy via local PC
- Transfer from/to FTP/FS plugins: Support copy filters like the local file copy function, e.g. *.txt | excludeddir\
- FTP, upload/download with F5 - F2 in background: Support client certificate
- RestrictInterface=6144: Disallow all plugins, or 4096: Only allow plugins with a valid digital signature
- New placeholder [c] = number of files in list
- New placeholder [S] = file size
- Option to use 'Everything' to load the tree
- Combobox to change drive, open with Alt+F1 or Alt+F2
- Search with 'Everything': Show percent of the search results transferred to Total Commander
- Improved search in Office xml files (e.g. .docx, .ods etc): find accented characters
- Automatically check 'Everything' option when using prefix ev: or ed: in search field
- Option to search in search results only
- View previous search results
- Define which view method and plugin should be used when opened, separately by file type, e.g. all jpg files with internal image viewer
- Press '8' to show preview as the Explorer (uses IPreviewHandler or IThumbnailProvider if the former isn't available)
- Support printing of JPG/PNG/GIF in Lister with internal image viewer
Compare by content:
- Set color for underlined search results
- Use Ctrl+PageUp/PageDown to jump to next/previous directory
- New internal commands with parameters: LOADSELECTION, SAVESELECTION, SAVEDETAILS plus ANSI/Unicode versions
- cm_ModernShare allows to use the new Windows 10 "Share" context menu item directly
- cm_ChangeArchiveEncoding to open the archive encoding popup menu
- cm_MoveTabLeft and cm_MoveTabRight to manually move current tab
Since 32-bit plugins cannot be used by 64-bit programs, they need to be converted first. Therefore there will not be many plugins available initially for 64-bit. If you use plugins extensively, you should keep using the 32-bit version. You can install both in parallel to the same directory - there is now a separate installer which will install both together.
Software similar to Total Commander 8
Multi-tabbed dual pane file manager for Windows, featuring a powerful file search, a versatile preview, and a highly customizable interface.
Easily manage files and folders from your computer's hard disk drive or removable devices in up to 4 explorer panels.
The latest beta of Total Commander giving you sneak peek of what's coming in version 10.00.
- Free to Try
ES File Explorer is a free, full-featured file and application manager.
More similar downloads