Issues Installing an Intel Heatsink fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillAllen55

I will be installing an Intel heatsink on a motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS4P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX. I'm reading about the generic Intel heatsink with the twist lock downs as not being well designed. I've done a moderate amount of research for an alternate bolt through configuration to replace the lock down design (on the Intel provided heatsink). I would appreciate anyone that has feedback on what I could use or where I could purchase an alternate lock down (screw down) bolt through configuration.
Naturally if the experts were to way in on the obvious concern of the 'design' of the twist down configuration (Intel 775 socket) would also be welcome ie: are there issues with this type of application?

Una Mas Tiempo......

I have installed several Intel HSFs in several different boards over the past couple of years. None of these installations have given me any problems whatsoever, either with the actual installation OR overheating issues. These installations have been both with Intel stock coolers, aftermarket coolers, and 2 different Arctic Silver products. They all turned out fine.

If the installation of an Intel HSF assembly continues to plague you with uncertainty and self doubt, might I suggest you bring the motherboard / CPU assembly to a qualified computer repair location. The task should should take all of ten minutes, most of which would be either waiting for a "customer service representative/ associate", and/or explaining what you would like to occur to the technician involved.

Since there are millions upon millions of these HSF fans installed and working properly, both stock and aftermarket variations, I can only surmise operator error or incompetence on the part of the people who have attempted the, (I think small percentage), of failed installations.

Since this is an extension of a previous topic initiated by you, I can only speculate that the amount of "handholding",(qoute BillAllen55), required to either accomplish the appointed task, or further theoretical discussion regarding your woes, wants, hopes, and wishes has reached the point of futility.

Perhaps, others in this forum will continue to further patronize you with this little excercise, I don't intend to.

Your were given a link to an Intel page(s) the subject of which was building a computer. At that link, there is also video about installing the HSF to the CPU/board. Those links should be sufficient for even the most ploddingly slow among us.

I have read hundreds of Intel socket 775 reviews, and the loudest whining about installing comes from people who feel obligated to pubulish their technical prowess as "very high". Yeah, well, maybe, maybe not.

As I pointed out earlier, we should start some sort of poll along these lines

A: "Do you think you know more than Intel about their OEM HSFs?

Or, the more productive;

B: I have designed a BETTER HSF for Intel socket 775 CPUs, what do you think?

The design of the Intel HSF fan "is what it is", so unless you decide to get an engineering degree and go to work for Intel and thereby change the manufacturers corporate "mind", offering a "better" solution of your own creation, we should probably let the subject go.

During the course of our previous discussions you seem quite preoccupied with announcing you must deal with very affluent people in your line of employment. I suppose that somehow we you believe we should show you a great deal of deference regarding your obviously important position. Good luck with that.

I have very low standards regarding the "gravity of issue" with respect to starting a new thread, but this little effort has, IMO, ventured into the realm of trolling.

And have a nice day! :)

PS; Anyone who believes this topic hasn't been sufficiently discussed, or that Mr Allen's concerns, (physical, or emotional) haven't been adequately addressed, should visit; https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic118240.html , before passing final judgement

two ol' coots

I have installed several Intel HSFs in several different boards over the past couple of years. None of these installations have given me any problems whatsoever, either with the actual installation OR overheating issues. These installations have been both with Intel stock coolers, aftermarket coolers, and 2 different Arctic Silver products. They all turned out fine
My friend Mr Cranky, This first statement would have TOTALLY answered my question.
I smile knowing there are others in the world that not unlike myself feel they most go to the very darkest edges of thier psyche to fully and most completely vent all that is in their minds regarding a subject. I can only imagine you on a flight from philly to chicago. :rolleyes: My motherboard and cpu will be shipped a week from today then the fun will begin! Thank you for the answer and the amusing thoughts you have regarding my employ. Not everyone is cut out to be talking with owners of energy, & manufacturing companies and the like.
(nodding off in my rocking chair)

They're easier to install with the motherboard out of the case, otherwise the board will flex when you try to push the peg through.
Best to put the pegs in diagonally.

I've seen a few that aren't installed properly in the older machines I'm seeing at my work - I'm surprised the machines worked at all. Usually I find out because they start screaming, or I'm researching another problem and find them running at a ridiculous temperature.

OK........Seanc....

Your observations are much appreciated. Please evaluate my following statements carefully.

PCB flex is dependent on a couple of factors. First, all boards do not have the same thickness or composition. Similar granted, but not the same. This even within the same manufacturers product line.

I have two Gigabyte motherboards; (A) MATX GA-G31 MX-S2

and (B) ATX EP45-UD3R

The MATX board is much thinner than the ATX EP45 with it's "2 oz copper" PCB. As a consequence of this, the G31 board flexes quite a bit with the installation of the HSF. I even remains dished a bit. This because when (or if) the board deflects, the HSF mounting holes actually get closer to the mounting pins. Yes, I know ever,ever, so slightly.The CPU doesn't appear to overheat. The EP45 doesn't exhibit this symptom, but was a tad more difficullt to affix the HSF assembly.

Has anyone ever tried to break a PCB? the amount of bend you can achieve before the board actually snaps is astounding. Also, copper is a very malleable element, so it would flex with the board.

You raise an interesting point about the difference in difficulty between the board on the table, versus the board installed in a machine. Whether the board is mounted does make a difference, here again not all that much.
If the board is bolted to the case standoffs, it increases the amount of bend, due to the fact that it shortens the radius of the available deflection to the distance from the center of the CPU to the nearest standoff bolt, instead of to the edge of the board.

Thermal compound may have a limited chemical lifespan, which would contribute to overheating issues over a long period of time. Many "enthusiasts" renew the TC installation periodically to circumvent heating issue. This of course, if they don't simply replace the computer with "this month's model". Or perhaps when the "old girl" isn't fast enough, raise the clock speed some more, this could cause thermal issue. Or the spyware in the machine has pushed average CPU uitilization to 70% or so. This also would raise the temperature range by quite a bit

Now, while Intel's installation may possibly be not the best in recorded (or future) history, it is what we've been given to work with. So, with all the BS aside, the system works, and works well.

In an earlier thread, I suggested the the stock HSF, might not be appropriate, this recommendation was based on noise considerations, not on insufficient cooling for a stock clocked CPU. Those darned Intel fans have a crappy, annoying "whirring sound", because of the small diameter blades, and the concomitant necessarily high RPMs.

Permit me to recount the details of my most recent installation, I pulled the cooler out of the box, (Cooler Master RR-CCH-L9U1-GP 92mm Hyper TX2), centered it over the CPU, (with the stock thermal compound), then pushed the pins in until they seated. BIOS tells me that the CPU is in idling in the 25-27C range. (E7300 EP45-UD3R), in my somewhat cold house. Not quite the ordeal that Intel cooler threads (and reviews) always generate.

Dear Fellow Coot:
.My friend Mr Cranky, This first statement would have TOTALLY answered my question.
You say that, but you don't mean it (!) or (?):rolleyes:

Saluting the captain

Dear Fellow Coot:

You say that, but you don't mean it (!) or (?):rolleyes:

Whilst dog paddling in the deepest part of the ocean (listening to John Coltrane) attempting to get up to speed with the necessary processes to being successful with my computer build, I've ran into many that either 'think' they have good suggestions or those that after careful verifying I've discovered didn't know what they were talking about. You Mr Cranky howbeit have a bit of an attitude about those that would rather come to a forum such as this rather than spending years such as you obviously have spent, becoming proficient at your expertise. My statement was sincerely true, I appreciate all of you that come to this forum (that includes you coot) day in and day out, helping those that had it not been for you and others like you would have forever closed the website titled 'newegg' and gone down to their local Piggly Wiggly to buy something off the shelf as what some might describe as a computer.
So in conclusion should you 'ever' reference this thread and hold it against me, I will adamantly deny I ever said these words:wave::wave: I can only reflect back to the days of my first 386 speed demon, (512 mgs of memory! 20 mg HD!!) thinking about who in the world was I going to ask about this and that. It's all coming back to me now, it was the Computer tech at the shop that I asked - how humiliating was that!
Thanks again coot.

<Detailed - correct information here>

I mainly work with the MATX boards so I'm experienced with them occasionally bending and getting on my nerves.

The last BIG build I did ~about 15 machines, I assembled the motherboard, RAM and CPU first so I didn't have to mess around with the heatsink.

I haven't used any of the most recent boards, only up to the P31/EP31 boards and only three or four so I can't remember if the heatsink was easier to install or not, I think you have a point about the thickness of the board though.

On a new build I have seen them idle at 16 - 18˚C while sat in the BIOS.
Usually if they're installed right and coupled with Gigabytes SMART Fan - they're quiet, sometimes even silent because they stop spinning if they don't need to be.

My PC - GA-P31-S3L, E6300, Intel HSF @ 698RPM - 29˚C in my cold bedroom
My work PC - GA-945P-something, E4600, Intel HSF @ 835RPM - 35˚C - warm office.

Yes they have a nasty whir if they get up to speed, I found this to be worst on the older LGA775 Celerons, I think Intel must have just started upping the clock speed of the same processors.

Anyway, enough ramblings.

Pretty easy to install the heatsink - don't worry about it. Unless you're oveclocking it, it should be nice and quiet.

A suggestion assisting those lacking in overall computer expertise.

It's been a long time since I've spent time putting together a thread of any substance. This is due to my new computer build completion and how much enjoyment I've found learning about it and discovering all of its capabilities. While digging through all of the muc and enjoying peoples feedback advising me of how little I knew of the new technology, inadvertently I ran into a fine, truly professional by the name of 'sharam' who carefully deliberately walked me through all concerns without the need to impress me with how intelligent and obviously how much more he knew about a given subject than myself. Without exception with whatever question I had he carefully patiently answered all questions without derision or sarcasm. As I shared directly to him, had it not been for his fine suggestions, likely as not I would have ended up in a shop keepers hands prior to completion.
Why am I spending time describing this individual here? I'm only sharing this to suggest that it has not always been the case in my 'personal' experience trying to glean out tidbits of information from this forum. I have been described as being stupid, have had other suggest they felt as if my inquiries were nothing more than requests for 'hand holding' - that in fact my questions and concerns were nothing short of moronic in nature.
I would like to address this - this feedback coming from one that I would consider not unlike most that ask questions of this forum.

BECAUSE some one asks the same question in a different way does not give the responder the license to take out his 'one' wood and tee off on the persons question.

As an Example:
I asked the question regarding the Intel HSF 775 socket asking if the manufactures HSF was as effective and as easy (push in style) as an after market HSF XIGMATEK dark knight - s1283 120mm CPU Cooler in which I ultimately use ( screw in configuration)
During ones diatribe it was described that a certain level of 'flexing' maybe needed to accomplish the installation. I would ask if you would try to imagine one that is new to such an installation imagining himself with his new MB and HSF 'flexing' his new MB to a point that will allow his manufactures HSF to install.

Long story longer the feedback given was presented in such a flippant (I've done this a million times can't imagine anyone having a problem with it) type of manner. That I went directly to the aforementioned after market product. Carefully put on the back plate and without further ado screwed the HSF in place.

Moral to this thread: When providing feedback to people on the forum. Make your feedback respectful explain things to them as you would like to have been explained things when you were first starting out. It never is that easy to ask questions of any type of one that obviously has more knowledge than yourself.

Last thought would be this: IF you can not answer questions courteously directly without ones personal attitude showing up. I would suggest you go back to your tv program Jeopardy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back