TechSpot

Issues with connecting my graphics card to power supply

By Igloogreenhouse
Oct 31, 2009
  1. Hi, new to forums, seems like you guys are nice so...
    I purchaced components from this guide.
    http://www.techspot.com/guides/187-buying-guide-200908/page3.html
    Everything was great as i started assembling my pc, but as i looked to connect my ATI Radeon HD 4770 to my OCZ OCZ500MXSP power supply reccomended in the build, I saw the free chord I had for my power supply had 8 pins, but my card was a 6 pin slot. I checked the case my card came with, it had a lot of adapters to attach to the 6 pin slot on the graphics card, but none of them could get me connected to my power supply.
    I know im missing something here, because these components were reccomended from the same build from TechSpot. Anyone got an answer.
    Thanks.

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,483   +233

There is an 8 pin connector for motherboards with 8 pin CPU power connectors. It is not for PCI-E cards. However, according to Newegg's listed specifications, you should have two labeled PCI-E connectors, one with 6 pins and one with 6 plus 2 pins. The 6+2 pins might look like 8 pins but it splits into a 6 and 2 pin so you can use just the 6 pin connector if you need to. Use one of those for your graphics card.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.