iSuppli: DDR4 to arrive in 2014, eclipse DDR3 in 2015

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

With PC technology progressing so rapidly, system builders generally attempt to time their purchases strategically so they get the best bang for their buck. Diving into the market too soon ensures you'll pay an early adopter tax, but waiting too long means you risk buying something that is approaching the conclusion of its lifecycle. Fortunately, folks shopping for DDR3 DRAM can take the plunge without fearing buyer's remorse.

According to iSuppli, DDR3 modules will remain the dominant DRAM technology throughout 2011 and several following years before it's eclipsed by a speedier next-generation version. DDR3 DRAM represents 85 to 90% of today's DRAM market and that will grow to 94% by 2013. In 2014, iSuppli predicts that DDR4 will emerge with a 12% share -- a figure that will mushroom to 56% by 2015, leaving DDR3 with 42% of the market.

Judging by the transition from DDR2 to DDR3, DDR3 should remain relevant for at least a year or two after the arrival of DDR4. DDR3 launched in 2007, but it took two years to achieve a 24% share and three years before it outgrew DDR2 with 67% of the market. During its early years, DDR3 was simply too expensive to justify purchasing over DDR2, but demand (and inherently pricing) changed with the arrival of Intel's Nehalem chips.

If you haven't been watching RAM prices lately, it's a grand time to outfit your machine with 8GB or even 12GB of DDR3 modules. Last June I purchased a 2x2GB 1600MHz kit of RAM from Newegg for $110. That same kit is currently available for precisely half off at $55. Meanwhile, 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz kits are starting at only $65, and 3x4GB sets are as low as $95 -- prices we don't expect to get much lower in the near future.

Permalink to story.

You're so right about prices dropping.

I keep a wish list on Newegg which would allow me double the RAM in each computer.

I bought 6 GB of Corsair Dominator for $249 in 12/2008, now it's $99.

4 more GB of Corsair XMS3 which I bought for $119 in 4/2010 is now $45.

Wish I wasn't broke. =(

Didn't we had a post about skipping DDR4 and jump to DDR5?

Any way i bought my 3GB 1.6GHz Kingston for $140 in July 2010 and 3 months ago i got 6GB 1.6GHz for $60, so i join the club too! so lets trow a party at DR. Zoidberg's house *sobs* :(

"Still on DDR2 here as well. God damn LGA 775, I guess I'm due for an upgrade. "

I have an LGA 775 but I have 8gb of DDR3. My motherboard was only $49 so you can upgrade to a motherboard that can do both 775 and DDR3. I plan on using my Core 2 until it dies.

I just built my new gamer and filled it with 16GB's due to the pricing. I have quite a few kits laying around (4GB) they are 1600 and 1886Mhz and not even worth putting them on EBay at this point.

Nice, nice.

Least I could wait another few years on using the cheap parts till DDR4 parts comes out. I can totally see this, pairing 32GB sticks per channels on the motherboard, owning those mother pus buckets on the games!

The reason why spydercanopus is ram is still an order of magnitude faster than Flash memory.

SSD's currently are topping out at around 500mb/sec transfer rates on SATA 6, where as DDR3 memory in my tripple channel 1366 board will do about 7000+ mb/sec transfers.

Also with memory being this cheap you can now easily run a RAM disc and have memory to spare and that will also smoke any SSD even the PCI E models.

lionvibez said:
The reason why spydercanopus is ram is still an order of magnitude faster than Flash memory.

SSD's currently are topping out at around 500mb/sec transfer rates on SATA 6, where as DDR3 memory in my tripple channel 1366 board will do about 7000+ mb/sec transfers.

Also with memory being this cheap you can now easily run a RAM disc and have memory to spare and that will also smoke any SSD even the PCI E models.
I did not know it was possible to have 64GB ram in regular desktop computers. Plus you would have to wait for the ram disk to load data from the hard drive everytime the computer reboots.

Back