iSuppli: DDR4 to arrive in 2014, eclipse DDR3 in 2015

By Matthew
Jun 27, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. With PC technology progressing so rapidly, system builders generally attempt to time their purchases strategically so they get the best bang for their buck. Diving into the market too soon…

Read the whole story
  2. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

You're so right about prices dropping.

I keep a wish list on Newegg which would allow me double the RAM in each computer.

I bought 6 GB of Corsair Dominator for $249 in 12/2008, now it's $99.

4 more GB of Corsair XMS3 which I bought for $119 in 4/2010 is now $45.

Wish I wasn't broke. =(
  3. Cota

Cota TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

Didn't we had a post about skipping DDR4 and jump to DDR5?

Any way i bought my 3GB 1.6GHz Kingston for $140 in July 2010 and 3 months ago i got 6GB 1.6GHz for $60, so i join the club too! so lets trow a party at DR. Zoidberg's house *sobs* :(
  4. darkzelda

darkzelda Newcomer, in training Posts: 71   +7

I still use DDR2, because my board is actually old
  5. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

Still on DDR2 here as well. God damn LGA 775, I guess I'm due for an upgrade.
  6. "Still on DDR2 here as well. God damn LGA 775, I guess I'm due for an upgrade. "

I have an LGA 775 but I have 8gb of DDR3. My motherboard was only $49 so you can upgrade to a motherboard that can do both 775 and DDR3. I plan on using my Core 2 until it dies.
  7. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,867   +74

I just built my new gamer and filled it with 16GB's due to the pricing. I have quite a few kits laying around (4GB) they are 1600 and 1886Mhz and not even worth putting them on EBay at this point.
  8. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

Who will need RAM with we have SSD?
  9. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

Shh!! Don't tell Intel that. They might design obsolescence more readily based on such information.
  10. bushwhacker

bushwhacker TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,086

Nice, nice.

Least I could wait another few years on using the cheap parts till DDR4 parts comes out. I can totally see this, pairing 32GB sticks per channels on the motherboard, owning those mother pus buckets on the games!
  11. Zecias

Zecias TechSpot Booster Posts: 202

12. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 527   +75

The reason why spydercanopus is ram is still an order of magnitude faster than Flash memory.

SSD's currently are topping out at around 500mb/sec transfer rates on SATA 6, where as DDR3 memory in my tripple channel 1366 board will do about 7000+ mb/sec transfers.

Also with memory being this cheap you can now easily run a RAM disc and have memory to spare and that will also smoke any SSD even the PCI E models.
  13. BrownPaper

BrownPaper Newcomer, in training Posts: 467

I did not know it was possible to have 64GB ram in regular desktop computers. Plus you would have to wait for the ram disk to load data from the hard drive everytime the computer reboots.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.