It's back: LimeWire Pirate Edition debuts

Emil

Staff

Less than a month after being shut down, LimeWire has been resurrected by an anonymous team. Despite the fact its creators had to close their doors due to copyright law infringements, the Gnutella-based file-sharing client is now back under a new name: LimeWire Pirate Edition (LPE). It is currently only available for Windows.

"On October 26 the remaining LimeWire developers were forced to shut down the company's servers and modify remote settings in the filesharing client to try to harm the Gnutella network," an anonymous source told TorrentFreak. "They were then laid off. Shortly after, a horde of piratical monkeys climbed aboard the abandoned ship, mended its sails, polished its cannons, and released it free to the community."

LPE, which is based on the latest LimeWire 5.6 beta (released earlier this year, before LimeWire's demise), is now circulating on various download sites. Furthermore, it has been improved: the Ask toolbar has been unbundled, dependencies on LimeWire LLC's servers have been removed, remote settings have been disabled, and all the features of LimeWire Pro have been switched on for free. All adware, spyware, and advertising has been removed.

After a four-year suit brought on by the RIAA on behalf of eight major music publishers, LimeWire was officially shutdown late last month. Federal Judge Kimba Wood found the company, LimeWire LLC, and its founder, Mark Gordon, guilty of assisting users in committing copyright infringement on a "massive scale." Damages expected to total at least $1 billion will be assessed when the case resumes in January 2011.

Permalink to story.

i really don't think anyone should use this. it you have the money to buy these games, music, movies then buy them. but if you can barely afford to put food on the table then go grab a torrent or two, but when you do have the money, buy the games, music, movies you like.

Limewire pirate edition, now with twice the viruses!! lol seriously though, does anybody use limewire anymore?

1 Billion seems like a little much. There is no way that the Limewire creators made that much off it.

I believe all they accomplished, in shutting down limewire, was making its client open source. With cleaner installations and possible a cleaner community, it may become a good pirate software again. I remember the older version of limewire having issues. Especially with the bittorrent client in it.

Wow that didn't take long did it? Now that they "shut it down" it appears to have become more powerful than they could imagine! Bravo to the team that got this up and running. The music and movie business is I'm sure wasting more money fighting these things and bankrupting people and businesses. They really need to get creative and find new sources of revenue and quit blaming everyone else for them putting out crappy music and movies.

One would think that if you already have a potential $1 billion dollar settlement hanging over your head, you'd leave well enough alone.

There's no reason to pirate any longer unless you're just a jerk who continues to insist that you're something special in this world and should get everything for free. You can buy songs for as cheap as .89 a copy from a variety of sources, Steam has regular sales for games that were once $50 and are now $8.00, you can rent a movie from a Red Box for a lousy buck. I routinely see Blu-Ray DVD sales for $8.99 now.

All the previous pirating excuses (and that's all they were) are no longer relevant.

HAH! they shut it down and only succeeded in making it better. When will they learn that this kind of stuff can not be stopped?

That's all we need is another portal for malware and viruses in trade for some free pirated music... pay for music people... it's not that expensive!

Ouch. Another massive lawsuit against piracy. man, it never ends.

think as long as people can justify piracy, it will continue to happen. distribution will always be available so long as ther eis someone willing to use it.

Demons said:
That's all we need is another portal for malware and viruses in trade for some free pirated music... pay for music people... it's not that expensive!

I remember this one time my dad brought home one of his employees desktop computers for me to look at because it "wasn't running right". I ran McAfee VirusScan and found more than 1000 threats on it. All files seemed to be downloaded from Limewire. I was amazed. It was a record for me.

No dude! I mean, if you really like an artist, you are going to buy his album. But if you only want to listen to new stuff, discover music, artists, songs... its way better to get it for free! If NOBODY EVER download ANY songs for free, nobody will know these songs and ever listen to it.

For example, i'd rather download an album, listen to this particular artist, see if I like it, and if I really like it, i'll definitely go buy the album.

IMO, Music is free for everyone. You better share it for free, get known, than running after your pennies. Listenening is free, sharing is free, you like it - buy & support it.

That's my opinion :)

And... limewire is safe when you know how to use it. Its not limewire which is not safe, its the file sharing in general.

Example: someone who try to download 'michael jackson', the results will come out with a thousand of results. For a poor dumb stupid reason, some person believe that the 16kb Michael Jackson.exe file is good! Whats wrong with you? 16kb & .exe isnt a song... and you better watch how much person has the file too, there's result with more than 30 person tagged on the file, these results are more trustable than the 16kb - .exe one with 1owner.

bleeeehh

TomSEA said:All the previous pirating excuses (and that's all they were) are no longer relevant.
So because I lost 1 of 4 CDs to a game that I can prove I own means I should buy the game again? No thank you.

It's like it's 2003 all over again! I recall searching for Linkin Park when I was merely a sprat, and coming across about a dozen different versions of spelling, and file formats. Those were the days. Now I'm wealthier, so I can buy my music, and smarter, because I don't listen to Linkin Park anymore!

Mushroom said:
TomSEA said:All the previous pirating excuses (and that's all they were) are no longer relevant.
So because I lost 1 of 4 CDs to a game that I can prove I own means I should buy the game again? No thank you.

Or call the game publishers and ask for another to be sent out? I have a friend who lost his Crysis Disc, was pissed off and spoke to someone and they used his license key to give him a download version, they used the DRM system so if he ever found his disc it wouldn't be usable.

At the end of the day, if you've paid £40+ on a game (license, since at the end of the day thats what you pay for) I would expect them to support me.

Some people don't seem to realise you don't actually need a justification for piracy. Some people are going to have moral qualms about it, others (probably the majority) won't. You can argue why piracy is wrong and evil all you want, but ultimately morality is a subjective argument, not a physical constant. The facts are the Internet, p2p, DRM cracking, all exist and thus far combating it with legal and technological measures has proven completely futile and a waste of resources on the part of copyright holders.

If industry really want to maximise profits then they need to concentrate on boosting sales through competitive pricing and availability (considering piracy a competitor rather than something they can just make go away - they can't), and accept the fact that things will never ever go back to how they were pre-Internet, when they held strong control over their IP.

Be sure to not allow your players to look for album art when playing. Get a better firewall. This is how they determine where you are. WMP fail.

TomSEA said:
All the previous pirating excuses (and that's all they were) are no longer relevant.
Such a good post until this sentence.

Unfortunately, as some others here have hinted at, its DRM thats the relevant and justifiable excuse for downloading modified or backup copies of your purchased content. From companies taking down licensing servers to limiting resale to restricting device access, there's many forms of DRM that prevent everyone from LEGALLY using their purchased products that can only be resolved by DRM circumvented products.

Be sure to not allow your players to look for album art when playing. Get a better firewall. This is how they determine where you are. WMP fail.
Care to elaborate? I don't believe audio cds contain album art, so if you rip your own CD (or even before you do) WMP is going to go fetch the album art for you. It will get album art whether you feed it mp3s or a real cd (or a burned one). So unless I'm missing something I don't see how 'the man' is going to track you based on what album art you get.

Back