iTunes Music is Choppy - Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

bedouinrising

I am dual booting Windows XP and Windows 7. When I play iTunes on the Windows 7 partition, it plays from the music folder on the XP partition. The music is really choppy - is this a problem with Windows 7 or just a common issue when playing music from a different partition?

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3400 +
OS - Windows 7 Ultimate RC / Windows XP
SOUND - Realtek AC'97 Audio
HDD - 160 GB Barracuda
VIDEO - ATI Radeon Xpress 200 Series

Update the Realtek sound driver from the motherboards website. I doubt if you are going to find a driver for Windows 7 but the Vista sound driver should work

I have seen several posts concerning poor, even no, sound under Win 7. This seems a major unsolved problem with all issues of Win 7 up to and including RC1. You will just have to hope MS sorts it out in the full release. As to whether it is caused by being read from a different partition, I would say extremely unlikely, unless Win 7 cacheing from other partitions is equally badly designed.

ok, i downloaded the realtek driver for vista but during installation it says "rtkvac.sys file not found" and then stops. What should i do?

ok - i managed to use the driver installation found on techspot specifically for windows 7, and it worked - the driver updated successfully. But itunes is still choppy. I tested an mp3 file on windows media player and it played fine. When the exact same file played with itunes, it was choppy. Does this mean that itunes currently doesn't function well with windows 7, and are other people noticing this problem? Or is it still some problem I have that shouldn't be occurring?

Are you running 64 bit or 32 bit Windows 7? If you are running 64 bit, you have to watch carefully when you install iTunes. It tries to install 32 bit iTunes by default. You have to Google for the iTunes 64 bit download location

Ok,
I don't know what else to tell you... I run Realtek HD built into my Abit IP35Pro motherboard under Windows 7 Ultimate RC. iTunes plays fine. What antivirus program are you running?

Are you running any other malware or scanning programs? I use Kaspersky on computers that are too slow to run better programs like Avast or AVG

I tested an mp3 file on windows media player and it played fine. When the exact same file played with itunes, it was choppy. Does this mean that itunes currently doesn't function well with windows 7, and are other people noticing this problem?

Your experience is common. Some people find running itunes in 'Vista compatibility mode' works well, but basically, you are waiting for Apple to get it's act together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back