TechSpot

Ivy Bridge driver update brings 10% performance boost, OpenCL 1.2

By Matthew
Apr 1, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Folks who rely on the HD 4000 integrated graphics engine inside some Intel processors can reportedly look forward to a performance boost in the near future. Speaking at a media event during GDC 2013, the company touched on its effort...

Read more

2. Chazz

Chazz TS Enthusiast Posts: 635   +60

I'm glad that Intel is getting a bit more serious about their drivers. They have a lot of room to improve but this is far better than Intel of old.

3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,062   +919

Graphics drivers yes. But other drivers no. The past 2 or 3 drivers for my Wifi adapter have been garbage.

4. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

It would be awesome if it were 10% CPU performance increase, but seems like it just for the graphics.

5. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,062   +919

That wont really be economical for Intel with Haswell coming up haha. It would basically kill the point of Haswell (7-10% increase over IB).

6. t3chmachine

t3chmachine TS Rookie

I guess my CPU too old..Nice to see them improving others

7. highlander84

highlander84 TS Member Posts: 99   +21

Maybe it will fix the problem where my entire laptop shutters and lags for brief moments several times a day...the HP support guys have no idea whats wrong...

8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,345   +806

Why do they bother with integrated graphics on their performance chips at all. Surely people who utilize these chips (myself included) use a discrete GPU. All this does is unnecessarily drive the cost of the chip up. IGP makes a lot of sense on office type PC's & HTPC's but it's of no use for anybody building a high performance gaming rig unless you fancy LucidLogix software and even that's of dubious value as far as I'm concerned.

9. Vicenarian

Vicenarian TS Enthusiast Posts: 100   +9

But the IGP can be used to accelerate video encoding and stuff...I think?

10. spencer

spencer TS Enthusiast Posts: 204   +22

you might be able to find a solution in the forums

11. Opus

Opus TS Rookie Posts: 42

Well as far as I know HD 3000 graphics do support OpenCL 1.1 FULL_PROFILE

I have already tested these drivers and my notebook rating improved from 5.4 to 5.6 so for with 15.28.15.64.3062 driver version, that is intended for developers and IT professionals.

12. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,977   +957

My Ivy Bridge G-4000 (i3-3225) already pulls a 6.5 on both Aero & Gaming WEI scores, running Win 7 Home Premium (64 bit).

In the same system, my 600GB Velociraptor pulls a 5.9.....Go figure...:confused:

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.