Ivy Bridge Turbo Boost problems

luvhuffer

New system. i5 3570K on Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H with Corsair H80 and 16GBs Kingston Hyper X PC1600. When the system is at idle the processor only runs at 1.7GHz. It takes so darn long for the desktop to load It's like I'm running ME with a Pentium3. The multiplier is set at 16 even though the BIOS doesn't have a setting to adjust the idle multiplier speed and has it locked at 34. The BIOS doesn't show it running at 1.7 but at 3.4 though I've verified the speed with 3 different apps. I can't figure out why it's doing that. I finally said screw it and just shut off all the turbo boost crap. It's now set with the FSB at 103.3 MHz and the multiplier at 42 so it's running constantly at 4.3 GHz with vCore at 1.24v or 1.056v depending on who you believe for the sensor readings CPU-Z or Aida64. Is anyone else having a similar problem? I wouldn't mind the turbo boost if it worked. Oh ya, word of warning for ivy bridge owners. Don't just monitor the CPU temperature, monitor the core temps as well. The CPU temp can go up only 5C while you have a corresponding 20C rise in core temps. At 4.3 I'm running at 29C at idle while the core temps idle at 41-43C. Haven't had time to sit down and seriously OC this thing yet to see what she'll do. We've been having a serious heat wave in L.A. the last couple of weeks.

It's not a turbo boost, it's Intel Speedstep which lowers the multiplier (and hence clock speed) when idle to save power. If you haven't switched that off you'll find the CPU running at 2.1Ghz or so when idle (half of 4.3Ghz). It's not Speedstep which is slowing your computer's boot time, it's either because you're running a mechanical hard drive or have lots of programs set to run at startup (check msconfig), or both.

Well sorry but that's just stupid. If I want to save power I'll turn off the AC not the OC :) Anyway there should be a way to lock the multiplier so the 3.4GHz CPU I paid $200 for runs at 3.4! My E8400 is set up exactly the same and is booting to a SATA2 drive in 30 sec on a P55 chipset board. This is booting to a SATA3 drive. So far I'm not impressed with this CPU or this board. Kinda wishing I'd got the 2500K instead. Personally I can't see how jumping around with that much difference in speed that much, can be good for the CPU's longevity. so I'm leaving it at 4.3. The ambient temp in my room right now is 32C and the CPU is at 29C. I'm pretty impressed with that H80 water cooler. But in all honesty this UEHI or EUHI whatever you call it BIOS is a bit confusing. I need to do some reading. I don't understand 1/2 the crap on there.

EDIT: slh28. After I posted this and re-read it, it came off kind of rude. I just wanted to say I appreciated your input and clarifying the difference between the two.

Personally I can't see how jumping around with that much difference in speed that much, can be good for the CPU's longevity.
The varying percentage of usage effects the CPU longevity more than rotating the frequency of the CPU. What I'm trying to say is normal usage will put more stress on a CPU than Speedstep adjusting the frequency.

Varying frequencies has been around for decades, what do you think FM (frequency modulation) stands for? If using speedstep was stressful on the CPU, FM would be very stressful when broadcasting radio stations. This is not to mention every receiver would undergo the same process to interpret the FM signal. Long story short, you don't have anything to worry about by changing the frequency, what you do have to worry about is the level of usage at those frequencies.

I'm thinking more along the lines of temperature fluctuation from increasing and decreasing the speed constantly. Look what it did to half dome in Yosemite! :~) Seriously, I bought my E8400 in 2008 and it's been running at 4GHz (which is a pretty strong OC for that processor), without the speed step crap and it's still going strong. I suspect it will still be running long after it becomes obsolete. If it isn't already.

When the system is at idle the processor only runs at 1.7GHz
As explained, the multiplier drops down for 2D applications. A quick reboot into my stock profile shows the same:
power_saving.jpg

If you don't want the CPU downclocking then disable EIST AND C1E and probably, C3/C6 State Support
vCore at 1.24v or 1.056v depending on who you believe for the sensor readings CPU-Z or Aida64
Vcore will change according to load. Some programs will just report the UEFI/BIOS default VCC, some will fluctuate depending upon CPU loading and/or Vdroop/Vdrop
I'm thinking more along the lines of temperature fluctuation from increasing and decreasing the speed constantly
CPU loading/ voltage variation makes absolutely no difference to the longevity of the processor. It is how it's designed to operate. So long as the voltages are within design specification there is no problem.

EDIT:
The ambient temp in my room right now is 32C and the CPU is at 29C
Your temperature reporting sensor must be off somewhere. The CPU cannot be cooler than ambient- this is a physical impossibility for air cooling (radiators are air coolers when all is said and done)

Back