TechSpot

JEDEC finalizes DDR4 spec, coming to a PC near you in 2015

By Matthew
Sep 25, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Memory standards group JEDEC has published the final specifications for DDR4 SDRAM, promising more performance, reliability and efficiency than today's DDR3 parts. DDR4 touts a per-pin data rate of 1.6GT/s to 3.2GT/s (giga transfers per second), though JEDEC notes that...

Read more

2. "The new design consumes 1.2 volts"
    A device doesn't consume volts; it consumes power (Watts). And while watts are more or less based on volts (for DC: P=U*I or Watt=Volt*Ampere; for AC or complex waveforms this becomes a bit more difficult), they're really not the same.

3. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TS Addict Posts: 414   +112

It really doesn't matter. The point is it draws less power.

4. mosu

mosu TS Enthusiast Posts: 309   +9

The point is one can use a single supply for both processor and memory banks and maybe integrated graphics...

5. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,077   +84 Staff Member

Well, I think the Guest's feedback matters. I've changed the text so it reads "runs at" instead of "consumes" -- hopefully that's more accurate :).

6. Guest above was totally on with power vs potential. You could run at only .5 V but draw 1 A which would be 500 mW. On the other hand you can run at 1.6 V and only use .25 A and end up with a power consumption of 400 mW. It is nice to see that the author took the reader feedback into consideration. Good on you.

7. Jiopaba2

Jiopaba2 TS Rookie

Something to look forward to, I suppose. Always nice to see progress marching on. I'm pretty happy with my computer now, so it's likely that the next time I do a full system replacement, I'll be buying myself something like 32GB of DDR4.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.