JMicron controller to significantly lower SSD prices

By Jos
Jun 1, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solid state drives have come a long way both in terms of performance and capacity. Prices have come down significantly as well yet compared to traditional storage solutions they are hardly ever justifiable for the average user. JMicron intends to take a big step towards changing that, with claims that it has come up with a breakthrough design which could see current prices slashed by up to 50 percent.

Read the whole story
  2. complexxL9

complexxL9 TechSpot Member Posts: 30

Finally some good news :)
    If SSD go at least 30% cheaper it's gonna be worth considering having one for OS at least for me. As for now SSD are just a nice thing to read about :)
  3. Captain828

Captain828 TechSpot Guru Posts: 277

SSDs are the future, yet, like traditional HDDs, they have a long way to get mainstream.

For ~$100 you can now get 1TB of storage if not more. For ~$700 you can get a 256GB SSD, the largest capacity available.

Even if prices get halved, for $350 you could get 3.5TB of storage OR a 256GB SSD. It sure makes sense buying the SSD...

They might start having a market in the enthusiast sector, competing with WD's Velociraptor.
  4. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,511   +308

@Captain828 Your price analysis is correct, by the time you hit a sweet spot between getting 2.5TB for $200 or a 256GB SSD drive that is about twice as fast, many will be jumping on the SSD bandwagon. But until then only early adopters and enthusiasts will feel buying a SSD drive is worth the price.

I personally went for the 160gb Intel X25-M drive =)
  5. NeoFlux

NeoFlux TechSpot Member Posts: 83

Even with the pricedrop like this, I don't see "Mainstream SSD" entering the market soon (year or two) ... but I hope I'm wrong.
  6. windmill007

windmill007 Newcomer, in training Posts: 311

Well you can get a OCZ Vortex for around $100. Sure only 30GB storage but wow. My computers acts like its from the future.Once people use a SSD there is no going back. My WD 7200 640GB 32MB cache raid 0 array seems so slow compared to this single drive now. I mean windows boots within 20 seconds and if I click on anything its instantly there. Amazing!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.