Just built a new computer, monitor won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to build a computer from scratch. So I figured I'd order a mess of parts from newegg and assemble - easy as pie. Here's what I bought:

ASRock P43 Twins1600 Motherboard
EVGA 9800 GT
LG DVD
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200
Western Digital 160 GB HDD
G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Linkworld ATX Mid Tower that came with some generic psu

Now, I'm pretty sure I put everything together right. The computer turns on, the cpu is running, dvd drive light is on, the graphics card is humming, and everything seems OK. But I've got a monitor plugged in and it's not working. And without a monitor, I have no idea if it's booting to the Vista dvd i have in the drive.

Can anyone help? I'd be glad to give more details on what I did but I'm not sure what you need to know. I'm way over my head here.

I had this problem recently. Was in the same situation I think (PC turns on, fans whizzing round, lights twinkling, nothing on monitor ... also Numlock didn't work on the keyboard, and the PC pretty definitely wasn't booting up).

The answer was that I had only plugged the motherboard in once, but it needed two different power cables in different locations. I kicked myself for wasting a day so stupidly. Sorry if this is an insult to your (probably greater) intelligence, but check to make sure.

Is the 6 pin PCI-E connector plugged into the graphics card? Is the power supply adequate to power your system? Just because fans work and some lights flash doesn't mean it is. Can you find a better PSU and try it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back