Just built a new PC for the first time and it will not start up

Havingphun

I dont know whats wrong these are my specs:

Gigabyte Z77
Asus Xonar 5.1
Seasonic Platinum 860 watt power supply
Corsair Vengeance 16Gb 4 x 4Gb
Intel I5 3570k ivy bridge 3.4Ghz (3.8Ghz with turbo boost)
EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2Gb vram
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Hdd
Lite-on Bd Drive
Antec 1200

At first I forgot to plug in the 12v cpu power, but I fixed that. This morning I noticed I put the power buttons cable into the wrong spot because I was following the cases color coding instead of the motherboards. But now I have no idea whats wrong. I have one idea, the screws I used to screw the motherboard in are really long and they stick out of the motherboard. Could that be the problem? Can someone help me I REALLY want to use this pc. I have been waiting for 5 years.

Try booting with just the core components. Unplug: Sound Card,Speakers,Mouse,Keyboard,Optical Drive and even your GPU if your MOBO has onboard graphics. Basically you do not want any peripherals plugged in. You want to confirm everything is securely connected and your CPU is properly seated. Is your MOBO getting power ? Is there any status lights on? The more information you provide. The better people will be able to assist with the situation.

Well I just finished building it and when I press the power button nothing happens. No lights sound or anything. I'll try unplugging peripherals.

I tried taking out the graphics card sound card and bd drive. Still nothing. The 12v atx is plugged in. The atx is plugged in. I have no idea whats wrong.

24pin MOBO power connector is secure as well? Your MOBO doesn't have a status light or anything? That is strange. Can you give us the exact model MOBO you have.

I don't think the mobo has a status light anyways. The model is the: GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard. I think it is just the power button but have no way to test that. Im also going to wyoming this sunday and won't be back for a week. I do notice that when I plug in the power source and turn it on the lights in my room dim a little. So I would say that it is drawing power.

Edit: The 24 pin connector is secure. But I have a question on the side that I plug the 24 pin into the power source there is a 10 pin connector and a 24 pin connector. But there is only a spot to plug in a 10 pin and not a 24 pin connector. Would it get enough power with the 10 pin on the side I plug into the power source

Ok so I plugged in the main power source right this time and there is only one difference. The blue LEDs on my fans are turning on but nothing else. What should I do next?

I have one idea, the screws I used to screw the motherboard in are really long and they stick out of the motherboard.
That doesn't sound right. I could be wrong but it sounds like you installed the motherboard incorrectly. By any chance did you use the motherboard standoffs to secure the motherboard to the case tray. The motherboard standoffs should be screwed into the case (in the appropriate places which is governed by where your motherboard mounting holes are), the motherboard placed onto the standoffs and screws secure the motherboard to the standoffs by threading into the standoffs.

That doesn't sound right. I could be wrong but it sounds like you installed the motherboard incorrectly. By any chance did you use the motherboard standoffs to secure the motherboard to the case tray. The motherboard standoffs should be screwed into the case (in the appropriate places which is governed by where your motherboard mounting holes are), the motherboard placed onto the standoffs and screws secure the motherboard to the standoffs by threading into the standoffs.

Well it is mounted right. But before I used really long screws and they stuck out of the spot I thread them into. But I fixed that. I also posted a thread about this on the bay 12 forums right here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113466.0
On the 2nd page it is suggested that if it doesn't work after unplugging unnecessary things to put the mobo, and the psu on a bedsheet or a carpet and run it to see if there is a short circuit. Is that safe.

You didn't answer the question about the standoffs.

I'm of the mind as well that you have a short circuit somewhere, and incorrectly installing a motherboard without using standoffs can certainly cause such a thing.

You didn't answer the question about the standoffs.

I'm of the mind as well that you have a short circuit somewhere, and incorrectly installing a motherboard without using standoffs can certainly cause such a thing.

By standoffs do you mean the metal things pre intstalled in the case that I placed the motherboard on and then screwed in?

Yes that is what I meant and I am sorry if I offended you but you didn't make it clear in your posts whether you understood what was being asked.

I'm going to suggest the same thing that someone in your linked thread did - sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words and if you could post a couple images of how you have things connected, we might be able to more easily help you.

Well I took the gpu, hdd, disk drive, and sound card out and I must not have done it right when Blkfx1 suggested it. The pc worked but nothing displayed on the monitor. I'm going to plug in pieces one by one. (While its off.). So far it works with the hdd in. What it does is the fans have there lights on and they run for about 10 seconds and then stop then run for 10 seconds and stop over and over again. I didn't count how many times but it stopped. Maybe its is some kind of motherboard morse code.(I'm not kidding.) I'll keep plugging parts in.

Yes that is what I meant and I am sorry if I offended you but you didn't make it clear in your posts whether you understood what was being asked.

I'm going to suggest the same thing that someone in your linked thread did - sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words and if you could post a couple images of how you have things connected, we might be able to more easily help you.

No, its ok. Sometimes I am not clear when I am typing. But when the I hit a wall with the parts I will try to post a picture.

Everything is in and the pc is working. I must have plugged something in wrong the last time. Ill keep this thread up in case I have any problems with installing windows and such. Thanks you guys.

Back