Just Built Computer - When started up, shuts down randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Today get the parts to build my own computer, ive set everything up (put it all together) and connected all the wires in to the correct sockets (read the manuels on what goes where).

When i started it up after about 30secs while trying to install the OS it shutsdown.
the

PSU is 800W, this is more then enough right?

Heres a list of the parts:
CORSAIR 2X2GB DDR3
GEFORCE GTX 280
INTEL QUAD CORE Q6600
CREATIVE XTREME MUSIC
800WATT POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC TWELVE HUNDRED ULTIMATE
SAMSUNG 22X DVD+/-R/RW/RAM SATA

Im not sure if its a overheat or lack of power, or even if it is any of them.

Furthermore when i installed the CPU and closed the housing it seemed a bit...tight :S a bit to tight in all fairness.

Please help me, i have no idea =[

Thanks,
Renny

I have the same processor. Did you use the stock CPU heatsink/fan assembly? The one with plastic pins sticking through the motherboard? Did you use thermal paste between the heatsink and the CPU? Try resetting the CMOS on the motherboard

Ive used the fan that came with the CPU

As for the thermal paste i dont have any, unless your on about the underside of the fan, or isnt that thermal paste? in which case it has it on.

Plus when i try to push all the pins down to attact the fan to the motherboard i dont think their all close right "/ or when i puch one down, one pops off and that... ><

That is the problem... You have to make sure that all 4 of the pins are locked into the motherboard. You use a flat-blade screwdriver and twist the locking mechanism about half a turn each using moderate pressure. If the heatsink has a grey pad in the center, you may have to remove all that grey stuff and go to Radio Shack and get some thermal paste to apply between the CPU and its heatsink. After a few failed attempts to attach the heatsink, the grey stuff gets rubbed off. You might consider getting a 3rd party heatsink like the ZeroTherm Nirvana. It has a metal plate that you screw metal screws into. It is much easier to install

The ZeroTherm Nirvana:
http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3202

thank you very much, ive managed to attach the fan that came with it by doing what you said

"You use a flat-blade screwdriver and twist the locking mechanism about half a turn each using moderate pressure"

Worked perfectly!

again thank you =]

Renny

It runs, but now im having problem installing the Windows XP OS

Whenever i try and install, it comes up saying i need to put in a different Windows, and then upgrade to Windows XP using the Windows XP disk :S

Boot off your original Windows XP disc. When you get to the "agreement" screen press F8 and on the next screen select "delete this partition and install Windows fresh" or something like that. Continue to delete the partition and format and begin the XP install

Most likely malisha, you have a lot of dust and dirt inside your computer or the fans may be bad or dirty too

Yes, remove a side of the case and turn on the computer. Check to see that all the fans are turning. If you see that any of the fans aren't turning, that fan will need to be replaced. Use an old toothbrush loosen dust and a vacuum cleaner to remove as much dust as you can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back