Just got back from the boot sale.

Spike

well, there was a stall full of pc parts. Mainly AT. I spotted just 1 ps/2 keboard, all the ribbon cables were old style. they did have the odd PCI VGA Card, but that's it. Power Supplies, mainboards... all AT.

At a guess, I probably could have used the CD-ROM drives, and the floppy drives.

every second mainboard had a 486DX chip in it. I might have been interested if the guy was acctually running the stall. as it was, he wasn't there. I acctually got to thinking about building a 486 for nostalgic value.

The Stall next to it was selling PC's. Pentium 2's mainly, with a couple of Pentium 3 333MHz.

I mentioned I only wanted towers for clustering, so he pointed me to three towers. All three cases dirty, He had no clear idea on HDD size and the amount of RAM in each.

For amusment, I asked him.

" well, this ones a 266, this is a 300, and this one is a pentium 2, I think its... no. It's a pentium two. Hang on. the 266 is a 300 as well."

"how much RAM?"

"well, I think there's 12 MB in them. No. 16MB I think, but it might be 4MB"

"How much then?" (just for amusement purposes)

"well, £75 each, but I tell you what, I'll do you a deal. If you want all three, I'll do it for £150"

That's about 200 US Dollars!!! :eek:

Is this guy real!?!??

I can buy a mainboard for £20, take half the ram out of this machine, and the ten GB disk, buy a power supply and case for £30, build a pc with more processing power than the three pentiums put together (with my spare 1.3 duron), and STILL have £100 change !!!

To think. There must be *****s out ther buying this crap!

Don't think there's such a thing as a P3 333 - I believe the P3 started at 450.

To be honest, going that far back, I have no idea about what was around for each processor type. Long forgotten. I'm just going by what he said. Whether or not there was, there's enough evidence there to call him a crook! lol

a 333 would have to be a PII or a Celeron. I am almost positive that a 450 was the lowest P3, and I know there was no 333 P3.

The sad thing is that someone probably plunked down some cash and bought one or more of those beasts...

Back