Just reinstalled a few days ago and still BSODing

animegirlsroxx

I rebuilt my computer this year and for a while I haven't had any problems. However I've been starting to have random hangups or bsod'ing. I even tried reinstalling windows and bsod during the second half of the install.. Attached my mini dumps since the reinstall. I emailed asus, no response yet. I suspect my mobo or psu. But I think its too infrequent to be the psu.

oh also, I did use my psu tester and all the lights but the -5v line went on.

M4a785td-v evo
athlon II x2 2.8ghz
hyperx ddr3 1800
2 x 80gb sata raid 0
580 watt psu

Attachments

• minidump.zip
    145.5 KB · Views: 1
Your issue is with memory corruption. Therefore you’ll need to run memtest on your RAM.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

Since Memtest shows no errors then find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

Also, check to see if your RAM is set properly.

Ok, According to what I found standard voltage is 1.5 on ddr3. I set overvoltage for 1.8v (newegg's info on my ram stated 1.7v to 1.9v) so I think it might have been the voltage was the problem. and while I was there set my timings to what cpu-z shows in the fourth column. 9,9,9,25,34. So far no problems. Although its funny I'm running ddr3 1800 ram and its showing it as pc3-10700 in cpu-z. While I was there I overclocked because the mobo only supports ddr3-1800 at full speed with a 10% overclock. Here's some screenshots from the programs that came with my mobo and cpuz. Hope I did everything right. So far stable. I'm going to run a stability test now.

Attachments

• cpuz1.jpg
    cpuz1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 3
  • cpuz2.jpg
    cpuz2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 3
  • turbov.jpg
    turbov.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 3
  • amd overdrive.jpg
    amd overdrive.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 3
Let us know if you continue to get stability. Many, many times voltage is the issue in cases such as yours and it is beacuase the motherboard does not set it properly. Standard voltage may be 1.5 for DDR3 memory but certainly not all as attested to by your own experience.

By the way, good work.

Yeah, I ran the stability test for about 20 minutes. Seems fine so far. Peaked at 164F temp. So I'm looking at watercooling on newegg now. I would have run the test for longer but the proc is only rated for 165F lol so I figured I wouldn't push the system to long at that temp till I get a new cooler. Running stock fan atm. 104F idle.

Thanks

ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor OC to 3.08
Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1800 (PC3 14400)
2 x Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Raided 0 for 160gb total
Running onboard video but with plans to crossfire 2 x SAPPHIRE 100296HDMI Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Cards when I have the cash to get them.
Onboard gigabit lan
580watt power supply

I like this mobo because of the extreme abilities. And to have decent onboard video with dedicated video ram onboard you get better performance from the onboard then the norm untill you get your video cards. Later I'll double the ram also.

On my 26" LCD HDTV mounted to the wall above my desk and linked to the onboard with an hdmi cable. and 5.1 dolby digital theater surround speakers.

Nice! Other than the motherboard not setting the voltage correctly, how do you like Kingston's Hyper X. I have had nothing but good luck with using Kingston to do upgrades. For awhiile their Hyper X brand was not that widely used when compared to the G.Skill Ripjaw series, but you are the third person in as many days that have used this Hyper X in their builds.

Also, how do you like the Regor for gaming? Plus, with your motherboard are you able to upgrage to the Phenom II x4 black ediions?

The thing I like about Kingston is its pretty much universally compatible. I'm so sure it'll work with anything that I'd be willing to throw an old stick in my gas tank to see if my truck will run faster! And as far as gaming, Lich king fight in wow, max settings full 25 man raid no lag. Haven't played in a little while though. I'm sure it probably supports the phenom II lol but i went cheap. I'll upgrade later lol.. I wanted a black edition I just couldn't afford it this year.

Had a problem again today but I think the problem wasn't the voltage per say. It was set wrong but I don't think the memory was crashing windows. I think it was a bad SATA cable on one of my hard drives. Had another blue screen and the computer wouldn't boot windows. Would just stay black and not see the windows logo. But the HD light was constant and wouldn't turn off. Tapped the one cable that felt loose. And she booted on the next boot fine. Replaced the cable and still booting ok. Initially thought it was my OC doing it but that prooved false.

Oh, yeah, those SATA cables can be a real pain. Many issues resolved with SATA cable replacement or reeattachment.

Back