JVC brings 46" 3D LCD display to US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

If you're waiting for Sony to enter the arena with their 3D Bravia TV line next year, take a look at JVC's 46" 3D LCD display. The GD-463D10 is 1.5" (39mm) thick, and has a high-gloss cabinet -- a quality that is equally loved and loathed these days. It makes use of JVC's unique 3D visual engine to deliver flicker-free images, and is compatible with the industry standard line-by-line and side-by-side 3D formats.

The monitor is reportedly already popular with major Hollywood studios, and it has been available across the pond for some time. It features a native 1920x1080 resolution, 2000:1 contrast ratio, 178-degree viewing angles, and three HDMI-in connectors that support the standard HD video signals, including 1080/24p, 50p, 60p, 50i and 60i. JVC throws two pairs of battery-free light polarizing glasses in with the GD-463D10, and will ship one to your doorstep for $9,153.

Permalink to story.

Is this monitor actually intended to make use of *real* 3D content or is this one of those "makes stuff appear 3D" things?
I haven't seen a 3D LCD in action, but I can't help but believe it is just a crappy novelty.
I mean it can't work that well, can it? The only way to get *true* 3D requires an input that has been filmed or created in 3D. Since I don't believe that's really caught on yet, I'm assuming these monitors use some sort of digital filtering that utilizes lighting etc.. for a rather cheesy stereoscopic effect.
In comparison, converter a 2D source to 3D is not unlike sharpening a blurry photo -- You can't really make it any clearer because the information just isn't there. It's impossible to add missing information, like what's around the corner of that building or behind a car... Not without source material that has that information, at least.

Well there are some new titles coming from Hollywood that use real 3D and I've read more than once that Hollywood believes it is the next step. I, personally, hate it. Wearing those polarizing glasses gives me a headache.

@Rick
I'm not sure you read the article correctly ...and is compatible with the industry standard line-by-line and side-by-side 3D formats...
I watched the movie UP by pixar that was playing in theaters in 3d. That was pretty amazing.

Wait, 3D isn't even a better resolution than 1080p?... what a bunch of crap. See, I told you all it was is a way to get the price tag back up.

I just saw this display at a trade show - it is awesome when displaying real 3D content (in this case shot with 3Ality cameras). It's a monitor however so if you're not a fan of the 'faked' 3D content, you won't like it here either. But it's bright, has great line separation, limited ghosting ... great quality even for emerging technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back