Kepler Strikes Again: Gainward GeForce GTX 670 Review

Julio Franco

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/529-geforce-gtx-670/]https://www.techspot.com/review/529-geforce-gtx-670/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Wow, that is hugely impressive. Performance, price, temps, power, size... Nvidia really have worked wonders with Kepler.

Now let's hope for some price wars! AMD's lineup is still very overpriced even after the recent price cuts.

Noise is a very important stat for me when picking a card, any chance you can get some numbers on dB(A)?

Also, if the card that is benchmarked in this review is the factory overclocked Gainward card, shouldn't that be noted in the graphs? There should ideally be three cards reported on, reference, gainward phantom, and gainward phantom overclocked. Otherwise you may confuse people into thinking that the "GTX 670" numbers you have in the benchmark graphs is the same performance they will see on any 670 they may purchase.

Awesome! I have found my new card! :)
Yep, I was hoping to spend $350 max, but the overclocking potential has pretty much changed my mind. Greater than GTX 680 performance at $400? Sign me up!

You mean OC performance, or just overall performance? Because the review states is just a tidy bit slower (6+%) in comparison to the 680.

Anyway, this was a phenomenal review. I was specially waiting to see how this one compared to the 7970. And it kills it. It is cheaper, just as fast, and it overclocks better. Plus, Nvidia's driver support is better.

Great upgrade for my GTX 570. Finally.
I score a P6000 with my i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz pushing my eVGA GTX 570 @ 905/2000.

The performance of this chip looks to be quite impressive.
I play at 1600p and my GTX 570 performs very well at this resolution, but I have hit a VRAM limit and some games I can't quite max out, but can still play at high settings at 4X/4X etc. I want to switch to a more powerful setup to max demanding games, for example Crysis 2 on Ultra with DX11.

Might have to pick up a pair of GTX 670's and a new PSU!
Great review steve.

This card looks just incredible. I really fear for ATI as they seem to be hurting on both the CPU and GPU side of things. We till need ATI to hang around to provide competition so I hope they step up their game really soon. They also upset many of their followers with the initial pricing of the 7970.

... I want one. All this time I've been using that Geforce 450 that I got from Techspot... maybe it's time to finally upgrade?

outstanding performance and great price ,it seems that amd will break down after its failures on both the CPUs and GPUs.

Does it really matter what card you get at this point? no video games are going to need this much power for a long time to come. my AMD 5670 is still performing well on high-max settings for modern games in 1080p which includes Crysis 2, Skyrim and games of that nature. I'm just starting to see this card's potential being reached and maybe a bit overstretched in some instances and it was released as a budget card quite some time ago (brand new price was $120).

@Guest above, You can't have a very large res then, because it's large resolutions that these higher priced cards become more powerful than the cheaper predecessors.

Does it really matter what card you get at this point? no video games are going to need this much power for a long time to come. my AMD 5670 is still performing well on high-max settings for modern games in 1080p which includes Crysis 2, Skyrim and games of that nature. I'm just starting to see this card's potential being reached and maybe a bit overstretched in some instances and it was released as a budget card quite some time ago (brand new price was $120).

Show your proof. With a 560Ti Superclocked card, and an Intel 2500K processor overclocked to 3.6ghz with 16GB of ram, I dip down into low 30's on SWTOR, and BF3. with all settings maxed out. I'm also at 1920x1080, so I'm calling BS on this without proof. 2-4yr old cards ARE showing their age, and these new cards will prove it. Just wait for the benchmarks.

Seems very little point in spending the extra £100 for an additional 5% performance from the 680, some benchmarks show the 670 is producing higher minimum FPS as it is.

Please don't argue with the trolls - it will derail this thread. Also, some people have a different definition of "performing well".

Awesome! I have found my new card! :)
Yep, I was hoping to spend $350 max, but the overclocking potential has pretty much changed my mind. Greater than GTX 680 performance at $400? Sign me up!

You mean OC performance, or just overall performance? Because the review states is just a tidy bit slower (6+%) in comparison to the 680.

Anyway, this was a phenomenal review. I was specially waiting to see how this one compared to the 7970. And it kills it. It is cheaper, just as fast, and it overclocks better. Plus, Nvidia's driver support is better.
Right, I was referring to the OC performance (their 1,110MHz core clock) that they do at the end. It'll be interesting to see how AMD cuts their prices, though I can't say that I care, as I'll still go with this puppy.

SO the rumours were right, the 680 was meant to be a mid range card but because the 7 series were so paltry/priced so high that Nvidia could release it as a high end product. No way am I spending more than 200 quid to upgrade from my 5850; as it stands nothing is worthwhile at that price range.

I didn't think I'd be retiring my GTX 560 Ti's so soon, but I really wanna max out BF 3 @ 1920x1200. The best thing is, these cards fit right into my power and heat envelope, in fact their slightly better then the GTX 560 Ti in power consumption, but with double performance.

Well the numbers look great this and the 680 are basically vaporware as they are not readily available at retailers yet,so by the time Nvidia gets these to market the faster 7000 will have hit the stores

Well the numbers look great this and the 680 are basically vaporware as they are not readily available at retailers yet,so by the time Nvidia gets these to market the faster 7000 will have hit the stores
Trolling ? 5 of 7 SKU's in stock at Newegg (GTX 670)
OcUK's stock.....seems like a lot of fairly solid vapor
ocuk670fortresscpuok.jpg

GTX 680 sitting at 0.22% in the Steam Hardware Survey (HD 7970 at 0.36%...and been out three months longer...the 7970 was also at 0.22% one month after first availability)

Back