Kevin Spacey replaced in J Paul Getty movie

midian182

Staff member

Following the sexual harassment allegations against him by actor Anthony Rapp, Netflix cut all ties with Kevin Spacey. That incident, along with new claims that Spacey sexually assaulted a teenage boy, have seen him replaced in a movie that’s set to be released in just over a month’s time.

All The Money In The World, a story about the kidnapping of J Paul Getty’s grandson, starred Spacey in the role of the billionaire oil magnate. The Ridley Scott-directed movie was due to have its world premiere on November 16 at LA’s AFI Fest, but this was canceled in the wake of the harassment claims.

It was revealed that his part in the movie was being cut hours after former TV news anchor Heather Unruh said Spacey got her then 18-year-old son drunk and stuck his hand down his pants. He is being replaced by Christopher Plummer, who was reportedly Scott’s first choice for the role but the studio wanted a bigger name.

All the scenes featuring John Paul Getty are being reshot. Co-stars Mark Wahlberg and Michelle Williams are expected to take part where necessary.

Spacey only worked on the movie for eight to ten days. Scott wants to keep the original December 22 release, which is very ambitious. Sony has given the green light for the reshoots, which are set to begin immediately. The decision means Spacey will also have to be removed from all marketing material, most of which prominently displays the disgraced star.

Rapp said he was only 14 years old when Spacey made unwanted sexual advanced toward him. After it became public, Spacey said he couldn’t remember the incident and used it to announce that he “chose now to live as a gay man.”

In addition to the claims by Rapp and Unruh’s son, several others have come forward with allegations against Spacey. The actor’s former publicist said he is now “taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment.”

Permalink to story.

Wow, Spacey's career is stone dead. I say that when somehow Mel Gibson has plenty of work but this seems terminal

Wow, Spacey's career is stone dead. I say that when somehow Mel Gibson has plenty of work but this seems terminal

Gibson's career basically died after that. He was one of the biggest movie stars of the 90's. Not to mention a strong lead in the 80's.

It wasn't just the comments though. Keep in mind his career tanked after Passion of the Christ. He didn't make a movie between 2006 and 2010. The work he has done since is a shadow of what he once did.

Also keep in mind that many, many stars have come back after severe allegations. The big question is if this time is any different.

Gibson's career basically died after that. He was one of the biggest movie stars of the 90's. Not to mention a strong lead in the 80's.

It wasn't just the comments though. Keep in mind his career tanked after Passion of the Christ. He didn't make a movie between 2006 and 2010. The work he has done since is a shadow of what he once did.

Also keep in mind that many, many stars have come back after severe allegations. The big question is if this time is any different.

Really? Have you seen Hacksaw Ridge? An excellent film. Gibson is no angel, but he is an excellent director.

Gibson said mean things. Spacey did bad things.

Tremendous difference.

Spacey has a bunch of serious accusations severely damaging his image. Gibson's own controversial statements didn't qualify as criminal but obviously damaged his image. Other allegations and charges like assault and the battery misdemeanors ended up being expunged from his record since he completed his probation. If Spacey faces a conviction that would be the tremendous difference.

Gibson's career certainly was damaged but just last year he directed an acclaimed movie, was nominated for an Academy Award and still appears on screen. Spacey's career looks dead and buried however, before any potential criminal case even starts.

Spacey has a bunch of serious accusations severely damaging his image. Gibson's own controversial statements didn't qualify as criminal but obviously damaged his image. Other allegations and charges like assault and the battery misdemeanors ended up being expunged from his record since he completed his probation. If Spacey faces a conviction that would be the tremendous difference.

Gibson's career certainly was damaged but just last year he directed an acclaimed movie, was nominated for an Academy Award and still appears on screen. Spacey's career looks dead and buried however, before any potential criminal case even starts.

Gibson: Antisemitic comments, assault and battery.

Nobody actually cares about these things. See: pro sports, music industry.

Spacey: Sexual assault on minors.

You can't do this. You especially can't do this, say, "my bad if that happened," and then check into rehab.

Hollywood will permit that, but the people they need to sell tickets and DVDs to will not.

Gibson: Antisemitic comments, assault and battery.

Nobody actually cares about these things. See: pro sports, music industry.

Spacey: Sexual assault on minors.

You can't do this. You especially can't do this, say, "my bad if that happened," and then check into rehab.

Hollywood will permit that, but the people they need to sell tickets and DVDs to will not.

You're naive then. First, Spacey hasn't been accused of anything. No complaints have been made. No DWI photo of him sh*tfaced have appeared. Not so for Gibson.

Second, even if it is true (and it probably is), Hollywood has always had a short attention span. Nobody cares about the rumors against Woody Allen. Nobody cares about the conviction and current allegations against Roman Polanski. Etc, etc.

Plus, no offense to Gibson (I like his films) -- he's no Kevin Spacey. Spacey's talent is far above and beyond Gibson. Though Gibson's strength has always been in roles that focused more on his looks than pure acting talent.

First, Spacey hasn't been accused of anything. No complaints have been made.

He hasn't been accused of anything 14 times, in fact.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...-scandal-complete-list-13-accusers/835739001/

Second, even if it is true (and it probably is), Hollywood has always had a short attention span. Nobody cares about the rumors against Woody Allen. Nobody cares about the conviction and current allegations against Roman Polanski. Etc, etc.

Please do read my posts before responding to them. Relevant section emphasized:

Comparing Spacey to the Polanski and Allen cases is also apples to oranges. Neither of the latter went on TV and proceeded to concede child abuse as a real possibility and promptly check into "rehab." At least, not that I am aware, and certainly not in the post-media environment we live in today.

You're naive then. First, Spacey hasn't been accused of anything. No complaints have been made. No DWI photo of him sh*tfaced have appeared. Not so for Gibson.

Yes, there have... but no CHARGES have been laid - nor were any on Gibson. He did get accused of sexually assaulting a minor - that IS a complaint.

Um, actually, they don't have short attention spans... it's why Polanski can't return to the US despite the events being decades ago... And while Woody Allen did nothing wrong (it's legal to marry your adopted daughter), most of Hollywood finds it creepy - so none of his movies have been filmed in Hollywood since...

People in general tend to have short memories - but people in Hollywood hold grudges - sometimes forever! This is one of the reasons people have been able to get away with stuff like this for years - people are terrified to "blow the whistle" on them, as their careers can be ended over it....

Yes, there have... but no CHARGES have been laid - nor were any on Gibson. He did get accused of sexually assaulting a minor - that IS a complaint.

Um, actually, they don't have short attention spans... it's why Polanski can't return to the US despite the events being decades ago... And while Woody Allen did nothing wrong (it's legal to marry your adopted daughter), most of Hollywood finds it creepy - so none of his movies have been filmed in Hollywood since...

People in general tend to have short memories - but people in Hollywood hold grudges - sometimes forever! This is one of the reasons people have been able to get away with stuff like this for years - people are terrified to "blow the whistle" on them, as their careers can be ended over it....

Gibson pled 'no contest' to a DWI in 2006 and was sentenced to 3 years of probation ('No contest' is where you don't admit guilty but is in every other way a guilty plea -- it's to save face). In 2010 he once again pled 'no contest' to the crime of battery involving domestically abusing his ex-wife.

Spacey has not been accused of anything. Right now it's in the court of public opinion.

As for Allen (my favorite director, btw), him marrying his wife's adopted daughter was extremely controversial. Farrow alleged that he groomed her when she was underage. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the very vocal accusations by his adopted daughter (Farrow's daughter with Frank Sanatra) where she has consistetally accused her of molesting her as a child. It's a claim that both Mia Farrow and her brother believe. When it broke, in the early 90's, Woody Allen said it was simply Farrow trying to get back at him for him leaving her -- but he paid her off anyways.

He hasn't been accused of anything 14 times, in fact.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...-scandal-complete-list-13-accusers/835739001/

Please do read my posts before responding to them. Relevant section emphasized:

Comparing Spacey to the Polanski and Allen cases is also apples to oranges. Neither of the latter went on TV and proceeded to concede child abuse as a real possibility and promptly check into "rehab." At least, not that I am aware, and certainly not in the post-media environment we live in today.

You're really not worth responding too. You know I meant criminal accusations. Not matters of public opinion. Or else you're dense.

Polanski was *convicted* of molesting a 13 year old in 1977 and ordered to do 90 days psychiatric treatment and 42 days in prison. He was going to be resentenced and instead fled the country. He has had new allegations since. All the while, he has continued to be very successful (just look at Frantic or Carnage as examples).

Goodbye for now.

Gibson pled 'no contest' to a DWI in 2006 and was sentenced to 3 years of probation ('No contest' is where you don't admit guilty but is in every other way a guilty plea -- it's to save face). In 2010 he once again pled 'no contest' to the crime of battery involving domestically abusing his ex-wife.

Spacey has not been accused of anything. Right now it's in the court of public opinion.

As for Allen (my favorite director, btw), him marrying his wife's adopted daughter was extremely controversial. Farrow alleged that he groomed her when she was underage. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the very vocal accusations by his adopted daughter (Farrow's daughter with Frank Sanatra) where she has consistetally accused her of molesting her as a child. It's a claim that both Mia Farrow and her brother believe. When it broke, in the early 90's, Woody Allen said it was simply Farrow trying to get back at him for him leaving her -- but he paid her off anyways.
Yes... that was my point.... Gibson's DWI charges were not what killed his career - it was his diatribe on how Jews were the cause of everything bad... While the "Jews run Hollywood" isn't exactly true, there are plenty of very powerful Jews in Hollywood - and they made sure Gibson paid for his idiocy - and he continues to pay for it to this day.

Lesson to be learned - if you piss off the people who run your business, expect to pay consequences. Do you really think Weinstein is facing all these charges "out of the blue"? People in Hollywood have known about them for years - but no one said anything because he had powerful friends - and he had the power to end anyone's career who accused him...

Weinstein clearly made some powerful enemies - and now people can accuse him with impunity.

I'm sure there are some awful people in Hollywood who we've heard nothing about... yet.... but if they make enemies in the future, we'll find out all sorts of things about them then....

Look at Bill Cosby... apparently plenty of people knew about his drugging/raping women... but no one said anything until he made enemies....

Works in politics too... once someone loses protection from their colleagues/bosses, the vultures come out to tear them down. In many cases, the tear downs are deserved :)

Yes... that was my point.... Gibson's DWI charges were not what killed his career - it was his diatribe on how Jews were the cause of everything bad... While the "Jews run Hollywood" isn't exactly true, there are plenty of very powerful Jews in Hollywood - and they made sure Gibson paid for his idiocy - and he continues to pay for it to this day.

Lesson to be learned - if you piss off the people who run your business, expect to pay consequences. Do you really think Weinstein is facing all these charges "out of the blue"? People in Hollywood have known about them for years - but no one said anything because he had powerful friends - and he had the power to end anyone's career who accused him...

Weinstein clearly made some powerful enemies - and now people can accuse him with impunity.

I'm sure there are some awful people in Hollywood who we've heard nothing about... yet.... but if they make enemies in the future, we'll find out all sorts of things about them then....

Look at Bill Cosby... apparently plenty of people knew about his drugging/raping women... but no one said anything until he made enemies....

Works in politics too... once someone loses protection from their colleagues/bosses, the vultures come out to tear them down. In many cases, the tear downs are deserved :)

Agreed :) I worked for a guy who works in LA and who is part of the union for actors, etc. When the Gibson statements came out he told me, "Do you really think a cop randomly caught Mel on the road? There was someone at that bar seeing him get drunk and probably made some money off making some calls to the right people."

I'm not too surprised about Weinstein. His power was waning and he was a wanker. It is weird that it's had such a ripple effect. So that's what I'm wondering. Is this just a momentary wave that's catching some of the easy targets? Or is this a shift in hollywood (and other sectors) on what is acceptable behavior?

It is weird that it's had such a ripple effect. So that's what I'm wondering. Is this just a momentary wave that's catching some of the easy targets? Or is this a shift in hollywood (and other sectors) on what is acceptable behavior?
While I'm hoping that this signals a shift in acceptable behaviour, the cynic in me is thinking that this is just opportunists using this as a way to get rid of their own enemies - or deflect attention away from their own misdeeds.

Time will tell I suppose.

You're really not worth responding too. You know I meant criminal accusations. Not matters of public opinion. Or else you're dense.
you know, I am a natural born English speaker, have a degree in Philosophy, a discipline that highly emphasizes accurate reading and interpretation of texts......and you have confused me. Anyone that accuses someone of committing a criminal offence makes a criminal accusation. Governmental authorities will look at the accusations and decide whether or not to lay criminal charges. You stated Spacey wasn't accused, he indeed was in any sense of the word.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back