KFA2 unveils wireless GeForce GTX 460

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

KFA2 (a Galaxy sub-brand) has unveiled a new version of the GeForce GTX 460 that eliminates the need for display cables. The card utilizes WHDI (Wireless Home Digital Interface) and transmits video signals from five antennas over the 5GHz band to the included WHDI receiver, which is connected to your desktop monitor or HDTV.

The wireless range supposedly reaches 30m or 100ft through walls and it can handle uncompressed 1080p videos at 60Hz. Apart from the wireless functionality, you're basically looking at a stock GTX 460 1GB with 336 CUDA Cores, a 675MHz graphics clock, 1350MHz processor clock, 1800MHz memory clock, and a 256-bit memory interface.

It also has DVI, DisplayPort and mini-USB ports on the rear I/O plate, as well as a 6-pin PCIe power connector. Standard GTX 460s only support two displays at once and we imagine WHDI connectivity doesn't change that, so keep that in mind if you want to run two desktop monitors with your TV simultaneously.

The card is backed by a two-year warranty and it's slated for a European launch with no word on US availability or pricing.

Permalink to story.

Actually for people with..... no actually I can't see any real world use. Though I do bring my PC to many places so it could benefit someone like me. If anyone heard about pricing could you let me know?

Wow, that's pretty freakin' cool, as long as it works of course. I have one pc that I use for a HTPC ( Once a week or so ) and a homework pc for the kids, I always have to unhook it and drag it to the other side of the room. I'm curious about the pricing though.

I'm ready to go fully wireless. This is another step along the way... assuming that it's functional. Performance still trumps convenience/cool factor.

Guest said:
I'm ready to go fully wireless. This is another step along the way... assuming that it's functional. Performance still trumps convenience/cool factor.

I'm somewhat worried about latency.

CamaroMullet said:
Wow, that's pretty freakin' cool, as long as it works of course. I have one pc that I use for a HTPC ( Once a week or so ) and a homework pc for the kids, I always have to unhook it and drag it to the other side of the room. I'm curious about the pricing though.

I didn't talk about HTPC's in my original comment because if your HTPC can accommodate a card this size it isn't an HTPC.

great idea, pollute the 5ghz band with pointless nonsense just like the 2.4ghz band before it.

Princeton said:
CamaroMullet said:

I didn't talk about HTPC's in my original comment because if your HTPC can accommodate a card this size it isn't an HTPC.

Thats not true, I just put a GTX 460 in a Silverstone SG05BB and that thing is tiny!

The thing that I don't like about this card, and other devices like it, is that in most ITX cases the mobo is horizontally oriented (at least, the ones I've been looking at), which means this card would stand vertically, and the antennas wouldn't be able to be aimed upward.

hmm... for those wanting quite just keep the core system in a different room; just make sure your wireless components can also go through walls. Watch streaming movies on a tv/monitor when the tower is in a different room... the idea almost got me drooling.

Wow...that's pretty trippy. I'd be concerned about latency and interference too. Although any effort to get rid of or minimize cabling is all right by me.

Does this card handle audio? If not, I'm not sure how useful it will be.

Thats not true, I just put a GTX 460 in a Silverstone SG05BB and that thing is tiny!

The thing that I don't like about this card, and other devices like it, is that in most ITX cases the mobo is horizontally oriented (at least, the ones I've been looking at), which means this card would stand vertically, and the antennas wouldn't be able to be aimed upward.

I meant no HTPC should need a gtx 460.

Funny enough, I was talking to a friend how the only wires I have left on my mini-ITX desktop (which will become a HTPC whenever I finally build a new computer) is video and power. I agree at the moment this is largely a novelty at the moment and likely not the greatest idea for gaming... BUT: If you use the DVI for your main display and then have the wireless for a HDTV, that CAN be quite useful. Latency is not necessarily that important for multimedia as long as the audio and video is synced. If it is video only and not both video and audio, then it truly is a novelty/gimmick in my opinion.

Hmm not sure how useful getting rid of one cable is, there's still going to be the power supply, USB, audio and other cables there.

I'll move my monitor with me beside the bed just to watch p0rn. no more sitting on the chair with this technology.

:p

Lol. Then why is it just being announced now(according to TS)

A LOT of hardware makes the rounds long before it's ever released. Galaxy probably "seeded" the initial "leaks" to guage what kind of reception, and likely adoption rate, of the card. Pretty much standard operating procedure*.
Looks as though Galaxy listened to HTPC owners who wanted a single slot version that would be usuable with mATX boards that also needs slots available for TV tuner and sound cards -the original offering was dual slot.

* Other examples of company-assisted "leaks" doing the rounds would be AMD's Bulldozer is 50% faster than Core i7 950/Phenom 1100T (to deflect the media from the clusterf___ happening at their board level, tho won't be helping Phenom sales now) and GTX 560 Ti performance figures (expect HD6950 1Gb figures to pop up "accidentally" very soon).

dividebyzero said:
Lol. Then why is it just being announced now(according to TS)

A LOT of hardware makes the rounds long before it's ever released. Galaxy probably "seeded" the initial "leaks" to guage what kind of reception, and likely adoption rate, of the card. Pretty much standard operating procedure*.
Looks as though Galaxy listened to HTPC owners who wanted a single slot version that would be usuable with mATX boards that also needs slots available for TV tuner and sound cards -the original offering was dual slot.

* Other examples of company-assisted "leaks" doing the rounds would be AMD's Bulldozer is 50% faster than Core i7 950/Phenom 1100T (to deflect the media from the clusterf___ happening at their board level, tho won't be helping Phenom sales now) and GTX 560 Ti performance figures (expect HD6950 1Gb figures to pop up "accidentally" very soon).

Oh I know about purposely leaked material. But that picture you posted, I was under the impression it was your card. So I thought it was possibly already released for a short period in 2009.

A unique looking card, to be sure. I still don't see the advantage of using a wireless signal to send video to my monitor versus using a standard cable setup. I've also read about Wi-Fi routers using the 5 Ghz band and I wonder if it will affect the wireless signal from this particular video card.

Back