TechSpot

KFA2 unveils wireless GeForce GTX 460

By Matthew
Jan 13, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. KFA2 (a Galaxy sub-brand) has unveiled a new version of the GeForce GTX 460 that eliminates the need for display cables. The card utilizes WHDI (Wireless Home Digital Interface) and transmits video signals from five antennas over the 5GHz band to the included WHDI receiver, which is connected to your desktop monitor or HDTV.

Read the whole story

2. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,716

Actually for people with..... no actually I can't see any real world use. Though I do bring my PC to many places so it could benefit someone like me. If anyone heard about pricing could you let me know?

3. CamaroMullet

CamaroMullet TS Rookie Posts: 115

Wow, that's pretty freakin' cool, as long as it works of course. I have one pc that I use for a HTPC ( Once a week or so ) and a homework pc for the kids, I always have to unhook it and drag it to the other side of the room. I'm curious about the pricing though.

4. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 727   +30

I want one. Not sure why but I do. Cool bit of kit

5. I'm ready to go fully wireless. This is another step along the way... assuming that it's functional. Performance still trumps convenience/cool factor.

6. princeton

I'm somewhat worried about latency.

7. princeton

I didn't talk about HTPC's in my original comment because if your HTPC can accommodate a card this size it isn't an HTPC.

8. great idea, pollute the 5ghz band with pointless nonsense just like the 2.4ghz band before it.

9. Jesse

Jesse TechSpot Staff Posts: 369   +40

Thats not true, I just put a GTX 460 in a Silverstone SG05BB and that thing is tiny!

The thing that I don't like about this card, and other devices like it, is that in most ITX cases the mobo is horizontally oriented (at least, the ones I've been looking at), which means this card would stand vertically, and the antennas wouldn't be able to be aimed upward.

10. hmm... for those wanting quite just keep the core system in a different room; just make sure your wireless components can also go through walls. Watch streaming movies on a tv/monitor when the tower is in a different room... the idea almost got me drooling.

11. pcnthuziast

pcnthuziast TS Rookie Posts: 313

12. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,355   +402

Wow...that's pretty trippy. I'd be concerned about latency and interference too. Although any effort to get rid of or minimize cabling is all right by me.

13. Does this card handle audio? If not, I'm not sure how useful it will be.

14. princeton

I meant no HTPC should need a gtx 460.

15. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 957   +49

Funny enough, I was talking to a friend how the only wires I have left on my mini-ITX desktop (which will become a HTPC whenever I finally build a new computer) is video and power. I agree at the moment this is largely a novelty at the moment and likely not the greatest idea for gaming... BUT: If you use the DVI for your main display and then have the wireless for a HDTV, that CAN be quite useful. Latency is not necessarily that important for multimedia as long as the audio and video is synced. If it is video only and not both video and audio, then it truly is a novelty/gimmick in my opinion.

16. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Hmm not sure how useful getting rid of one cable is, there's still going to be the power supply, USB, audio and other cables there.

17. CamaroMullet

CamaroMullet TS Rookie Posts: 115

That's a good point, damn it! Oh well.

18. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

19. I'll move my monitor with me beside the bed just to watch p0rn. no more sitting on the chair with this technology.

:p

20. princeton

21. DokkRokken

DokkRokken TS Rookie Posts: 275

I read about this last September on HWC, and according to the article, this was supposed to have been ready to ship in October. Something must've really held up this card.

22. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,900   +711

A LOT of hardware makes the rounds long before it's ever released. Galaxy probably "seeded" the initial "leaks" to guage what kind of reception, and likely adoption rate, of the card. Pretty much standard operating procedure*.
    Looks as though Galaxy listened to HTPC owners who wanted a single slot version that would be usuable with mATX boards that also needs slots available for TV tuner and sound cards -the original offering was dual slot.

* Other examples of company-assisted "leaks" doing the rounds would be AMD's Bulldozer is 50% faster than Core i7 950/Phenom 1100T (to deflect the media from the clusterf___ happening at their board level, tho won't be helping Phenom sales now) and GTX 560 Ti performance figures (expect HD6950 1Gb figures to pop up "accidentally" very soon).

23. I smell privacy issues..

24. princeton

Oh I know about purposely leaked material. But that picture you posted, I was under the impression it was your card. So I thought it was possibly already released for a short period in 2009.

25. fpsgamerJR62

fpsgamerJR62 TS Rookie Posts: 489

A unique looking card, to be sure. I still don't see the advantage of using a wireless signal to send video to my monitor versus using a standard cable setup. I've also read about Wi-Fi routers using the 5 Ghz band and I wonder if it will affect the wireless signal from this particular video card.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.