Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1333MHz -- worth upgrading?

Schmutz

I used Kingston HyperX blu 4GB memory (4x = 16GB total) for my desktop upgrade 6 months ago.

I am curious if there is superior RAM out there. I don't refer to a 0-5% improvement. Is there significantly better RAM available for my setup? (lets say 15%+ faster than what I use)

I am constantly in Adobe After Effects eating up all of my memory. I also multi-task frequently switching between memory intense programs. I will squeeze every bit of performance out of faster memory.

Here is my configuration:

i7 2600K @ 4.4Ghz
ASRock extreme4 Motherboard
16GB RAM (4x 4GB HyperX blu DDR3 1333MHz)
2x Gigabyte 560ti SLI
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
Windows 7 64bit

When I upgraded I was advised to go with 1333MHz. Is there significant performance to be had beyond this? It is an inexpensive area to upgrade so I am very curious.

I am constantly in Adobe After Effects eating up all of my memory. I also multi-task frequently switching between memory intense programs. I will squeeze every bit of performance out of faster memory.
This is confusing. You mention your applications eating up all your ram and then finish with a statement about memory speed. Size and speed are two different things.

If your applications are 32-bit, there will be a limit of 4GB that the application can use regardless of how much memory you have. Sure you can get faster RAM but that has nothing to do with how much memory you need for your applications to run.

I noticed you are Over-clocking your CPU. Are you also Over-clocking (or plan too) your memory?

II am curious if there is superior RAM out there.
In absolute terms? Yes
I don't refer to a 0-5% improvement. Is there significantly better RAM available for my setup? (lets say 15%+ faster than what I use)
Not really. A quad (matched) 16GB kit is exceedingly more expensive at any timings other than standard binning (9-9-9-24 / 9-9-9-27) than a dual-module or lower density (2GB module) kits. Moving to CL8 would likely be triple the cost of CL9
I am constantly in Adobe After Effects eating up all of my memory.
Then latency isn't the problem. Look at a 32GB kit if time is that pressing
I also multi-task frequently switching between memory intense programs. I will squeeze every bit of performance out of faster memory.
Then get high bandwidth 32GB. Use the higher bandwidth or slacken the speed and tighten up the timings (see the trade offs here). Problem solved.
Bear in mind that LGA1155 is usually RAM limited to 32GB.

In general terms, what you were told regarding 1333 is correct. On a performance/price basis, 1333 is hard to beat. 1600 as it becomes more mainstream also becomes relatively inexpensive, but unless you're willing to pay a high premium for an incremental increase in performance then 1333 will suffice -both as 4GB and 8GB density modules.

thanks. I was curious if there was an opportunity to get more performance because I noticed 1333MHz/1600MHz memory is incredibly cheap.

"I am constantly in Adobe After Effects eating up all of my memory"

Opps, this has led to a lot of misunderstanding, sorry. I realise this would be a size related problem. I wrote that to justify why I installed 16GB. I was only interested in discussing faster performing RAM.

Well, on the subject of faster performance there isn't much worth considering then. I am surprised to see 4x 8GB kits are out there. Will definitely invest when it becomes more mainstream/I can find it in the UK!

Back