LA police seizes more than $10 million in fake iPods, iPhones, PSPs

By Emil
Feb 10, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The Los Angeles Port Police has broken up an illegal operation selling counterfeit iPhones, iPods, PSPs, and other gadgets. The $10 million operation included seized products worth an estimated street value of more than $1.4 million, stolen electronics, toys, and blankets worth about $2.5 million, and bank account receipts showing that the operation had generated more than $7 million in profits until it was shut down.

Read the whole story
  2. emzdhr

emzdhr Newcomer, in training

wow.. they must be crying now..
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,327   +376

"The goods were shipped from Asia..."

Most likely China. No one is ever going to take them seriously as long as they're in the counterfeit mass-production business.
  4. Well those iPods look pretty authentic, but those PSPs look super fake. I still can't believe people fall for this crap all the time, just because they either don't research these things, or are suckers for what they think are "good deals".
  5. dedparrot

dedparrot Newcomer, in training Posts: 67

People already take Chine seriously because they're just very hard to ignore.

China is the business capital of the world.
  6. jetkami

jetkami Newcomer, in training Posts: 99

China is a puppet. They provide slave labor to the world and only a few get rich and a small minority make it to a shaky middle class.China has been in this position in history before..they always get screwed by more powerful countries multi-national banks.
  7. aj_the_kidd

aj_the_kidd Newcomer, in training Posts: 555

See now this is something i can see being valid for the DoHS, not shutting down Streaming video websites.
  8. How can i get one of those?
  9. Royalgok

Royalgok TechSpot Member Posts: 31

Err.. Ever wondered where your authentic iPod is made in?
  10. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,807   +642

Seize $1.4m, unable to seize $7m. Looks like the L.A.Police have a liberal interpretation of what "success" entails. At least the confiscation of a few counterfeit iWhatevers should translate into lower numbers of counterfeit hipsters in the wild.
  11. mikeusru

mikeusru Newcomer, in training Posts: 47

lol for anyone who buys an ipod off a random guy on the street.
    Ebay has buyer protection and i'm still weary...

12. if you look closely, all the boxes say "MP4" player on them. Were they repackaging them as apple ipods or something?
  13. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,882   +77

Right! I think the ipods were real....the police were fake.
  14. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,514   +856

Oh, they make it so hard to turn down, by tempting you with a free "genuine Rolex" that gets thrown in with every fake iPhone.
    Are you suggesting that there's another kind of hipster?

You may however, have accidentally come up with a great new age insult! "He's as plastic as his iPhone". (real or otherwise). Works for me.

I figure the real iPons leave via the front door, and the counterfeit iPons leave via the back door of the same Chinese factory. OK, I have a slight weakness for conspiracy theories.

Hold everything, I just made a huge breakthrough in regards to a possible new Apple product! It's like this, an "iPon", would be better for a woman on the go than an "iPad", would it not? Marketing genius, if I do say so myself.
  15. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,658   +57

Go bust some meth labs you panzys.
  16. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

"But officer, we're not selling these! These are all just for... ad agency photo sessions! Yeah, that's it. They're just models!"

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.