Lag Spikes, Cmd results

Status
Not open for further replies.

smu122

I really enjoy playing online games, but i have been getting quite annoyed lately. I recently bought a new Vista PC, but i am now getting random lag spikes at intervals which last for about 1-2 seconds in game (CSS COD4 ect). I pinged an ip in command prompt and here are some results:

Untitled-5.jpg

I just realized that these spikes happen almost at the exact interval.
I am using a Linksys USB Wireless G adapter with updated vista drivers. I have a very strong connection with my network as well and i am not running any background apps. My pc is clean and my firewall is not the issue.
What could the problem be, and are there any solutions? Thanks all in advance.

The first thing I would try is another router. Can you borrow one to try? When I changed from XP to Vista, I had to change routers. I don't use Linksys

I only have one router :( It is actually a router and modem kind of thing. Westell Versalink. When i ping the same ip on a different XP pc on the network, I don't get these spikes, so I'm sure it is not the router.

Yes I had an XP pc previously before buying this vista one. I used the same Wireless G USB Network adapter for both systems and didnt have this problem on XP.

One more thing, I have a laptop on the network using XP that was also having the lag spikes very similar to these. I fixed the problem by going into the advance properties of the network card and switching the "Wireless Mode" option to the radio of my router ("802.11b and 802.11g"). However, the Vista pc is using an external USB device and the advance properties are not their for the device.

I'm trying to remember something that has to do with network properties like disabling IPv4 or IPv6 ... something like that

the problem with ping is you can't tell WHERE in the network the problem lies.
your lag is infrequent and the normal times are good. this suggests a good network
with some infrequent overloading.

get a command prompt and use pathping 74.230.194.71 and then wait for the report.

see this sample

and a GUI version

well, i just installed the same usb adapter on another XP pc on my network and I didnt get these lags, so I am almost positive it is not the network... Most probably Vista. would you like me to still pathping?

Tmagic650 said:
I'm trying to remember something that has to do with network properties like disabling IPv4 or IPv6 ... something like that

Networking and Sharing Center, view status, uncheck IPv4 and check for lag. Do the same with IPv6 if you still get lags

massive losses deep into the path! :(

nodes 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 14 are basket cases as everything is getting timeouts.

changing ANYTHING in your system will be a total waste of time and effort as you
can not impact the conditions at these nodes.

suggest you find another server and try again :)

much better; node 14 still has enormous loss however.

you should guess that gaming servers will be easily overloaded and the responsiveness
of the site will vary greatly from day to day and even hour to hour. These systems
are very hard to configure economically for the highly variable workloads.

in the last picture, the ISP is node two. the massive loss is at node 14.

if your conjecture were true, then ANY computer ANYWHERE could impact ALL other
systems. thankfully, such is not the case.

the 100% loss on node 14 means that router(system) is overloaded, whereas if the
losses were on the line between 13 & 14, it would imply a bad physical link or adapter(s) on either end.

smu122 said:
So, why arent these lags occuring on other pc's of the network?
good question and there's many possibilities:
  1. different nic speeds on each system
  2. different loading on your router
  3. different time of testing
  4. ... i'm sure there's even more ...
you would have to run two (or more) pathpings from different lan systems at the
same time to validate one systems has no losses and the other suffers.

please attach the pathping from two systems on your lan accessing the same server --
I'm really interested in this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back