Laptop cannot boot to window, cd or floppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

schnewb

Hello.

I recently purchased a second hand laptop, a packard bell easy one silver 2800. The laptop came with wondows xp pre installed but i wanted to install windows 98 because an old system would probably benefit from it.

Anyhow i tried to format disk in windows and it wouldnt do it. I tried to boot from the win98 cd and it wouldnt boot. I asked my friend about it and he told me you could use partition magic to make a seperate partition which i could install win98 to. So i let my friend try this. The program made the partition and restarted and now it wont boot to the OS, wont boot from cd and wont boot from a floppy. The error "invalid system disk" keeps occuring during bootup.

What can i do? Changing the boot record in windows doesnt do anything and nothing else springs to mind apart from the methods i have tried. The only answer i can come up with is to buy a new drive, is this the only way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Sean

Have you actually set the laptop to boot from CD in BIOS?

Some laptops want you to press a key to get a boot menu where you select the device to boot from.

Also, you can NOT install W98 AFTER XP.
You need to use a W98 bootfloppy (from e.g. www.bootdisk.com, set your BIOS to boot first from floppy, then use FDISK to delete the partitions that are on it, then create a new primary partition, using all available harddisk space.
Finally format that in FAT32. Now Install W98.

Thanks for the replies.

Ive tried the things you have suggestion prior to posting this thread and nothing works. I bought a windows bootable floppy and the laptop refuses to boot from it. The floppy drive could be broken as like i said i bought it used. I think im going to use the local computer shop and see if they can fix it. If they cannot im gonna have to buy a new hard disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back