Laptop fear

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby123

I have damaged my laptop by accident, it wont even turn on and its been like that for 3 months. At first, I was going to remove the hard drive and save all my data but I am not sure how to and rather than it just sitting at home I thought I would sort it out. However, it's from comet so I am giving it to them to fix it as its insured.

What I want to know is, do they take out my hard drive (which isnt damaged) and place a new one in or do they leave that in and will it be wiped. This is as it contains personal stuff...

If they put the hard drive in another computer, can that user have all my data?

Yes bobby123,
they can save your data if you ask them to... They will usually tell you if they will attempt to save your data before repairs are agreed on

Yes bobby123,
they can save your data if you ask them to... They will usually tell you if they will attempt to save your data before repairs are agreed on

but I am not bothereda bout that. Can they use my hd in another laptop? I don't want them to see my data.

If they put the hard drive in another computer, can that user have all my data?
Yes, not that they want or care for it.

But I've quoted this line, because you stated you were not sure on how to do this.

Just about all Laptop computers have the HardDrive held in by usually one screw (or a clip)
You will need to locate (if you ever do this again) where the HardDrive is (through your Manual) and then remove it
Once removed you can then use an Adaptor (here's one, and here's another) to connect it to another computer (ie a PC)
Once connected, you can then just go to that computer's "My Computer" and explorer your drive (it will be given a unique drive letter, just like any other drive)
Then back up!

By the way I wouldn't trust waiting for any call from them.
Go with the first part of that "they can save your data if you ask them to" (ie call them!)

surely they should be giving my hd back to me and not putting it in another hard drive. I have given it into them so can't remove the hd myself.

They won't replace any working part (including your Hard Drive, if it's ok)
But I'd call them, just in case they image it with a clean install of Windows (it's easier for support to test with Windows cleanly installed)

You know you could have asked here, before you sent it in!

"You know you could have asked here, before you sent it in!"...

Yes Kimsland...
the repair facility shoud have stated thir procedures for repair and also what the procedures are for saving or preserving the customers data. I have removed hard drives before sending laptops in for repair...

Basically my main worry is the following:

My user account on the laptop has illegal music videos etc. Do they look over your data?
Secondly, I don't mind if they erase all my hard drive but I don't want them to remove it, put me a new hd in and put my old hd into a new laptop and give it to someone else :(

my user account is password protected so surely they wont go into it right?

I accidentall poured water in, the laptop wouldn't even start so I am not sure how they will repare it. The keyboard on the laptop has also become loose so even that won't be of any use.

My user account on the laptop has illegal music videos etc. Do they look over your data?
Secondly, I don't mind if they erase all my hard drive but I don't want them to remove it, put me a new hd in and put my old hd into a new laptop and give it to someone else

Well these questions can open up more questions
Like, what's on the Videos etc
If you're taliking about downloaded normal movies and music from programs like Limewire etc Then most Hardware testers couldn't give two hoots about it, and in any case they'd just format without a thought.
the repair facility shoud have stated thir procedures for repair and also what the procedures are for saving or preserving the customers data
Did they ask you? Or have you stated to just wipe the HardDrive?

Strange thing about format, or even a single wipe of your HardDrive, is that everything is recoverable (pretty much fully) It's actually recommended to do at least 3 wipes (using a wiping program, such as bcwipe) to be comfortable that your data is gone.
In saying that, the actual confirmed wipes to remove all data beyond a shadow of a doubt is stated as 7 wipes (takes anywhere from 8hrs to 3days to complete)

But...

To be absolutely certain that your data will never be recovered by anyone (ie someone in the future running a recovery program on your HardDrive, or worse yet, someone trying to magnetically lift your data using specialized forensic tools) There is only one sure method. You must physically destroy (ie drill many holes) through the HardDrive, until it is non-recoverable under any situation.

So that being said. How much of a concern was this data to prying eyes? (Be that, even a teenager running a recovery program on it one day)

Well these questions can open up more questions
Like, what's on the Videos etc
If you're taliking about downloaded normal movies and music from programs like Limewire etc Then most Hardware testers couldn't give two hoots about it, and in any case they'd just format without a thought.

Did they ask you? Or have you stated to just wipe the HardDrive?

Strange thing about format, or even a single wipe of your HardDrive, is that everything is recoverable (pretty much fully) It's actually recommended to do at least 3 wipes (using a wiping program, such as bcwipe) to be comfortable that your data is gone.
In saying that, the actual confirmed wipes to remove all data beyond a shadow of a doubt is stated as 7 wipes (takes anywhere from 8hrs to 3days to complete)

But...

To be absolutely certain that your data will never be recovered by anyone (ie someone in the future running a recovery program on your HardDrive, or worse yet, someone trying to magnetically lift your data using specialized forensic tools) There is only one sure method. You must physically destroy (ie drill many holes) through the HardDrive, until it is non-recoverable under any situation.

So that being said. How much of a concern was this data to prying eyes? (Be that, even a teenager running a recovery program on it one day)

Well the situation is that, I used to delete the videos after watching them. The laptop has 3 user accounts (mine is password protected).

The water leaked under the keyboard of the laptop, then 2 mins later it went into blue screen of death so I shut the laptop and tried to turn it back on at which point it wouldn't turn back on.

Is this is a hardware issue then? will they format the hard drive or what, I gave it under warranty to comet people.

I just don't want them flicking through my files, that's all. if they do give me a new laptop then what will happen to my old hd in the old laptop?!

if they do give me a new laptop then what will happen to my old hd in the old laptop?!
This is a question you should ask them

Generally warranty means, they fix the faulty part, then put it back together (ie you'll get your old HardDrive back)
But that depends on the amount of fix that is required (ie they may write-off the entire laptop)

By the way its been some days. It would be a good idea to contact them, and ask

This is a question you should ask them

Generally warranty means, they fix the faulty part, then put it back together (ie you'll get your old HardDrive back)
But that depends on the amount of fix that is required (ie they may write-off the entire laptop)

By the way its been some days. It would be a good idea to contact them, and ask

I am thinking of waiting till they call me and then if they give me a new laptop I will ask what has happened to my hd. If they did give me a new laptop I take it I would get my old hd back?

Possibly (ie if the HardDrive is still ok, ie refer above)

Good point though, why add any more drama to this, just wait until they call then.

Now about those movies...

They might not
But as I've mentioned earlier (I think) it's easier to test with a clean Windows image

Now we could speculate all day on what ifs, and whatnot.
But I don't think that's the idea of support, or what Techspot's community would like.
Lets just stick to the facts. At this stage you are waiting. If it's any consolation, I wouldn't worry.

ok last question I promise lol but why would they need software testing if it's an obvious hard ware fault/

Because there are many software tools (both from Dos and also in Windows) for testing Hardware (that is not obvious)
Also the ultimate test should surely be, Does Windows work?

That is why

Ok got some news finally.

They said that I can have a new laptop as my old laptop can't be fixed. I didn't go to get it by the way, my brother did. Now what will they do with my old laptop then and hd in it?

Usually they'll wipe the Harddrive, really no ones interested in users stuff (anything can be found at Google)
But you should really ask them what does happen

Also thanks for the update :grinthumb

Usually they'll wipe the Harddrive, really no ones interested in users stuff (anything can be found at Google)
But you should really ask them what does happen

Also thanks for the update :grinthumb

Yeah well I could ask them to give me the hd back right? they will wipe the hard drive but then where will that hd go? will they use it for another model

Oh, I see
No the warranty is for replacement or change-over, not extra parts
It'll probably go to Asia somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back