Laptop hard drive switch over

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 120GB Western Digital Scorpio WD1200VE Hard Drisk Drive to upgrade my Toshiba Portege M200, however i think im going to find it difficult to replace because it has no floppy disk drive and looking about the internet I see you may need one to format the new hard drive. I have two external DVD drives, Philips DVD ReWriter 16x and a Toshiba External Slimline CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive.

any suggestions to what I should do?

Cheers in advance

You could connect both of the hard drives to a desktop computer and clone the contents so you don't have to reinstall anything..

Tmagic650 said:
Will the laptop boot from the external CD ROM's? If so, you're ok

i bought a toshiba dvd drive so that i could boot from an external drive, but it wont work, so i think i might buy an upgrade kit and clone me hard drive

daveymcl said:
i bought a toshiba dvd drive so that i could boot from an external drive, but it wont work, so i think i might buy an upgrade kit and clone me hard drive
"Won't work" means what? It doesn't necessarily have to work out of the box. Read your laptop manual. You may have to enable booting from USB devices or optical devices in BIOS. Also, you may have to press a key at startup to get a boot menu that lets you choose the DVD drive to boot.

Nodsu, this laptop with "natural toshiba's bios" doesn't support booting from USB devices. only dock station will helps, or special removable DVD drive from toshiba.

lamo said:
Nodsu, this laptop with "natural toshiba's bios" doesn't support booting from USB devices. only dock station will helps, or special removable DVD drive from toshiba.

i bought a toshiba dvd drive thinking it would work but it didnt lol i read somewhere that it was compatible but I haven't had any joy yet :(

im going to just clone the drive, and use the old one as backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back