TechSpot

Laserjet 2840 on 32-bit XP Printserver - Access from Win 7 64-bit?

By Savage1701
Dec 28, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I blundered into this one other time with Visat 64, but can't remember how to do it with Win 7 64-bit.

I have a small laptop acting as a printserver for a Laserjet 2840. It is running 32-bit XP SP3.

I need to install drivers for in on my Win 7 64-bit computer, but no matter which driver I specify, it says it's the wrong one. It can "see" the shared printer just fine, but can't install the driver I need.

How can I fix this?

Any help is appreciated.

thanks.
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

win 7 doesn't play well with other network computers running a different flavor OS. I tried a similar set up with my desktop running XP and my laptop with win7. It couldn't see the printer either.

ultimately I had to put xp back on the laptop. I had graphics drivers issues as well (namely there weren't any).
  3. Savage1701

Savage1701 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 279

Since my 2840 has an ethernet port, I plugged that in. Win 7 instantly prints to it on the network. I can still print to the laptop server connected to it via USB from my other XP & Vista computers. I'll probably just end up using the ethernet port. It gave me problems at first a couple of years ago and I never went back to it. Probably time to re-think it, since I've done a firmware upgrade since then but have been too lazy to go back to ethernet.

Thanks for the reply.
  4. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,048   +75

You need to install 64-bit drivers on your 32-bit OS. I remember I've done this couple of times on Win 2003 Server (x86) ....... you need to have 64-Bit Windows XP; and install laserjet drivers from printer folder located inside i386 folder on that CD ...... once you've done that you can share/add this printer to any 64-Bit OS. Goodluck
  5. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,048   +75

One more thing, you can also download 64 bit drivers for your OS from manufacturer's site and take that route as well.
  6. Savage1701

Savage1701 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 279

Thank you Arch; I will try that.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.