Latest Intel and AMD Processors, Need Help Choosing a New PC For Gaming & General Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My PC gave out and so I am using my laptop at the moment.

Anyway I want to get a new PC with the fastest processor.

The one in my old PC is a Athalon 3800

I have not kept up with the latest processors and saw that Intel now do the Duo Processor. Could someone explain please the difference in speed as the last time i looked at Intel it was the Pentium 4 based processors.

I am a little confused as the processor speeds for Intel seem lower than they were for Pentium 4s.

I need advice on each brand AMD and Intel please and which is the latest and fastest processor each company do. I always used to go with Intel just my last one was AMD.

Any reading material on each would also help me in choosing which type of PC to go for and where to get it from.

Thanks for your help

Rob

"Fastest" is a really ambiguous term nowadays when referencing processors. The introduction of multicore CPUs really threw off the whole clock speed thing. The Core 2 Duo line usually tops benchmarks, but the E6600 only runs at 2.4Ghz stock.

What games are you using it for? The processor feud has turned into an all-out war, and I'm getting more and more convinced that the power you get from top of the line is crazy overkill.

That being said, the Core 2 Duo E6400 or E6600 is the biggest bang for your buck. I didn't notice that much of a speed difference between my Athlon 3500 and the E6600 for simple computing tasks given all other identical components.

Core 2 Duo is the best processor available except for a core 2 quad which is a quad core.

1000th post yay

The best is the Core 2 Duo.

I still perfer AMD over Intel. If you have a budget of like $1000 then I would go with AMD. IF I could spend like $2000 I would go with Intel.

1000$ is a great Core 2 PC. Mine was built with a similir budget, and if i wouldve waited till now i would have had a much better PC, RAM is cheaper, I also wish I wouldve bought used.

Also I just built my first AMD PC. I like it especially since it runs cool and is dead silent.

Lets be careful that this thread doesn't get locked :p

I'd probably go for a Core2Duo with $1000.

The lower clock speed doesn't mean a lower performance. If you had been following developments during your old Athlon, you'd have realised your Athlon runs at a speed much lower than Pentium 4s of the same price, and perform reasonably similar.

Basically, Intel realised that people aren't as stupid as they thought, and decided that higher clock speeds don't sell as well as they used to. I'm just speculating on that, but the most probable scenario is that clock speeds have reached some sort of peak, and Intel's having problems pushing clock speeds.... Lets not dwelve on that.

For gaming, you're definately going for either the E6300, E6400, or the E6600. The E6300 and E6400 comes with a 2mb cache, and the E6600 comes with 4mb cache. Personally, I don't think the premium you pay for the E6600 is worth it. And if you really think the extra 2mb cache is crucial, the E6320 and E6420 is going to be released soon with 4mb cache.

If you're not overclocking, I'll suggest the E6400, E6300 if you're on a tight budget. PUt that together with an MSI 965 Platinum. The gigabyte boards are good, but mainly for its overclocking potential. The MSI is pretty good value for money AFAIK.

BTW, if you'll post a budget, we'd probably be able to help you much much better... And maybe the types of games you expect to play.

I wouldn't go with MSI. I used to tink they were a good company but...

My friend bought 2 MSI Boards and they failed in under 6 months. Plus with my personal expierences with them I wouldn't reccomend them.

Hmm.... I'm going with reviews here, I've never bought MSI boards I must admit. I overclock extensively, and their boards were never well known to overclock well....

However, for some reason at stock speeds, the MSI Platinum performed better than the gigabyte offering....

Hi,

Thanks for the advice much appreciated. My budget is around £3000 or a little more. A good graphics card and LCD is a must.

Also any time lines ETA on any new intel processors would be welcome.

Thanks

Rob

Well with 3000Euros you can do anything so i dont really feel like building you a system go with

A QX6700 a 8800GTX a 680i mobo and stuff.

Intel doesn't have anything special coming in the next six month, just faster FSB that the current chips do easy overclocked. AMD how ever should take back the performance lead if what they say is true. Expect to see K10 on AM2 this fall.

The closest releases from intel are the 2 new chips I mentioned, which Mirob just confirmed. Yes, they have a faster FSB, but the lower end C2Ds are now going to be shipped with 4mb cache, instead of 2.

It'd help if youcan find a site which you might buy from, its much easier to help you configure a system that way. Unless you're from the US (newegg, tiger direct, just-about-any-computer-store-googled), or Australia (cos I'm local), or Malaysia (cos I know the place), I don't really know where you can get computer parts locally.

Funny, I heard it was the KL8 - goes to show you what internet hype does to things :)

Thanks for the advice much appreciated. My budget is around £3000 or a little more. A good graphics card and LCD is a must.

I bought a Hanns-G 22'' Widescreen the other day that simply astounded me with picture quality, perhaps thats a brand you'd like to look into. You have a much bigger budget than I did, though, so perhaps one of the larger displays is more your taste.

As far as motherboards... I like Gigabyte more than MSI, but pay attention to the board layout. My last couple Gigabytes have had the IDE channel way the hell down at the bottom and other odd things like that. Otherwise, good boards.

I must say Gigabyte makes really good boards, and since you've got a pretty huge budget, forget about the MSI. Its more of a budget board. I'm going to get a Gigabyte myself (a DS4), but I did think about the MSI, but the lacklustre overclocking was the main reason for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back