Latest Steam survey shows AMD rebounding, an excellent month for Ampere, and a Windows...

midian182

Staff member
In brief: The Steam hardware and software survey for July has arrived. Last month was a good one for AMD, Ampere, and, yet again, Windows 7. But while AMD is making up some of the ground it lost to Intel, there’s still no sign of the Radeon RX 6000 series among survey participants, despite the first cards arriving over eight months ago.

Having chipped away at Intel’s CPU lead since December and finally passing the 30% mark in May, AMD experienced a surprise decline in June, dropping to 28.41%. As predicted, it appears this was only a temporary blip: Team red rebounded with a share increase of 0.78% to hit 29.19% last month. More than seven out of ten people still use Intel CPUs, but AMD is back to putting pressure on its rival.

Looking to graphics cards, just two of the top five entries saw gains last month, and they were only minor 0.01% increases for the GTX 1650 and GTX 1050. Despite the GTX 1060's -0.71% fall, the Pascal card keeps the number one spot it has enjoyed since replacing the GTX 750 Ti way back in December 2017. It appears that more users of these older cards are replacing them with newer models—where available.

It was a great month for Nvidia’s latest and greatest, with every Ampere card on the list experiencing an uptick in users. The RTX 3060 Laptop GPU saw the biggest increase in July (0.15%), with the RTX 3060 jumped 0.13% and its Ti variant was up 0.05%. The RTX 3070 increased 0.06% (laptop version up 0.04%), the RTX 3080 was up 0.04%, and even the RTX 3090 saw a 0.03% gain, despite Amazon’s New World beta killing some of the flagships.

Still missing from the survey’s GPU section is the Radeon RX 6000 lineup. The first in the series, the Radeon RX 6800 and Radeon RX 6800 XT released in November last year, but not a single participant has an RNDA 2 card. Their availability issues have been worse than most, admittedly, though AMD hopes the problems won’t be as bad with the Radeon RX 6600 XT launch on August 11—don’t hold your breath on that one. (Update: while no Radeon RX 6000 cards appear in the 'all Video Cards' section,' they are in the 'Vulkan Systems' category. AMD's cards make up just 0.34% of the entire share).

With the Windows 11 beta now available (to Windows Insiders) and Windows 7 extended support period finishing in January 2020, one might expect the aging OS to have almost died off, but no: Windows 7 64-bit users increased 2.91% in June and 3.51% in July. Last month also saw Linux systems reach 1% for the first time in years.

We also saw the Oculus Quest 2 cement its position as the top VR headset last month. It now has a 31.07% share, almost double that of the second-place Oculus Rift S. The Quest is unlikely to see big gains in August as Oculus owner Facebook has temporarily suspended sales over skin irritation reports.

Permalink to story.

Stop beating the bush with amd. amd doesn't catchup because they are always one step behind nvidia, the drivers are not as good, they are usually lacking features that nvidia has and the game support isn't as good.
if amd wants to gain back marketshare they need to do in the graphics space what they did in the cpu space, that is actually bring some better products compared to the competition, not only similar products...

Shelves in my nearby Microcenters are loaded with AMD cards that nobody wants.

Yes they are overpriced, but I argue that people would pay the scalper markup if they could get the NVIDIA card instead.

NVIDIA has far superior driver support. Every single week they have an update for drivers.

As for CPU, AMD does better there in offering brute force. I have a 5800h in my Asus A15 (with RTX 3050Ti) and they do offer good power for dollar.

The 6000 series was only there to give AMD mindshare in the market so they can continue to push graphics solutions for the consoles where they make most of their money for 3D solutions. As long as they get product reviews they don’t care. I don’t think they ever intended to make that many and they clearly didn’t put much effort into the software and drivers. For example ray tracing support seems either absent or there but unoptimised in Radeon drivers for many games that have ray tracing on the AMD based consoles. Not only this but many you tubers report games like AC Valhalla unplayable etc. Why bother putting the work in if you know you aren’t going to sell many cards?

This is just the usual corporate garbage that all these companies get involved in. Whilst AMD are duping reviewers into showcasing their latest 3D hardware to their corporate clients Nvidia are holding their cards up to gamers and going “look it has a mining limiter” with a big, highly ostentatious wink to the crypto mining crowd…

Stop beating the bush with amd. amd doesn't catchup because they are always one step behind nvidia, the drivers are not as good, they are usually lacking features that nvidia has and the game support isn't as good.
if amd wants to gain back marketshare they need to do in the graphics space what they did in the cpu space, that is actually bring some better products compared to the competition, not only similar products...
AMD's main issues since forever:
Poor software
Consistency

I too am amazed at how excited people get whenever AMD farts.

I cant wait for the usual suspects tocome in and cry about how steam isnt reliable now that it's showing gains for windows 7 for the secodn month in a row.

Availability of the RX 6000s is abysmal, AMD still has none in stock, newegg has none in stock, even at $1700+. They had a massive paper launch, mindfactory's numbers back that up. They finally had a competitive card and let it wither. The RTX 4000 series, if it has enough VRAM across the board, is going to crush AMD.

It really sucks, I want an AMD card for my upgrade sooner or later for the linux support, but AMD is making all of 6 cards a year. their pricing snafu with the 6600xt and 6700xt isnt promising either.

It's mostly availability the problem, not the products themselves. People want to buy AMD GPUs.

An and even bigger issue is in the mobile space (laptops), there Nvidia is king with a lot of laptop designs. AMD doesn't have the same pull/leverage as Intel and Nvidia in that market. The same can be said about pre-builds.

Last edited:
It's mostly availability the problem, not the products themselves. People want to buy AMD GPUs. And and even bigger issue is in the mobile space (laptops), there Nvidia is king with a lot of laptop designs. AMD doesn't have the same pull/leverage as Intel and Nvidia in that market. The same can be said about pre-builds.

I see very little availability problems, at least in the spots I look. You can buy AMD cards on newegg.com and you can walk into any Micro Center store and buy a AMD card off the shelf.

As of Friday (7/30) there were almost 900 AMD cards between the MC stores. Roughly 64% of available cards were 6700XT, followed by 34.5% were 6900XT and just about 1.5% were of the 6800/6800XT cards.

If you can't be bothered to go to MicroCenter (or you don't live near one in the States) you can always buy an AMD card on Newegg.com. There were for sale 6700XT and 6900XT and a few 6800s were listed.

Sadly, though, the prices are just outrageous. Over $900 for a 6700XT. Around $1100+ for a 6800 and upwards of $1300+ for a 6800XT and then $2K+ for the 6900XT.

So, right now availability isn't really the issue for AMD. It's the price that's keeping people away more so. When Nvidia equivalent cards hit the shelves, they move, move, move! A 3070 or 3070Ti going for $700-800 is a steal compared to a nearly $1k 6700XT card.

Guess I'll be the first one to get an AMD GPU in the Steam Survey, just waiting for the prices to drop a bit more. :joy:

Guess I'll be the first one to get an AMD GPU in the Steam Survey, just waiting for the prices to drop a bit more. :joy:
Don't get it wrong - the GPUs do sell. It's just the Steam Survey that people should take with a grain of salt. If anyone honestly believes that AMD 6xxx series GPUs are no where to be found out in the gaming world solely based on the Steam Survey, then those people are either ignorant (most likely) or gullible (also just as likely).....just like anyone that bases a "news" story off Steam Survey.

Don't get it wrong - the GPUs do sell. It's just the Steam Survey that people should take with a grain of salt. If anyone honestly believes that AMD 6xxx series GPUs are no where to be found out in the gaming world solely based on the Steam Survey, then those people are either ignorant (most likely) or gullible (also just as likely).....just like anyone that bases a "news" story off Steam Survey.
Exactly. Steam survey is pure crap all the way.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 0.64% 0.72% 0.72% 0.68% (wtf this drop is btw?) 0.74%

AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT 0.22%
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT 0.20%
AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 0.16%
AMD Radeon RX 6800 0.10%

AMD Radeon RX -series total: 0.68%

RTX 3090 sells more than Radeon 6000 -series combined? Seriously? Go **** yourself!

"If statistics do not agree with our views, so much the worse for statistics and its methods, comrades".

-Premier Joseph V. Stalin, Chairman of the Council of People's Commissars of the Soviet Union

"If statistics do not agree with our views, so much the worse for statistics and its methods, comrades".

-Premier Joseph V. Stalin, Chairman of the Council of People's Commissars of the Soviet Union
Mindfactory (computer shop in Germany) sales statistics tell quite different story than Steam survey. Mindfactory sales stats are actual numbers from sold units, Steam survey stats are "not so actual" stats from "not so actual" user base.

So yes, I agree.

I see very little availability problems, at least in the spots I look. You can buy AMD cards on newegg.com and you can walk into any Micro Center store and buy a AMD card off the shelf.

As of Friday (7/30) there were almost 900 AMD cards between the MC stores. Roughly 64% of available cards were 6700XT, followed by 34.5% were 6900XT and just about 1.5% were of the 6800/6800XT cards.

If you can't be bothered to go to MicroCenter (or you don't live near one in the States) you can always buy an AMD card on Newegg.com. There were for sale 6700XT and 6900XT and a few 6800s were listed.

Sadly, though, the prices are just outrageous. Over $900 for a 6700XT. Around $1100+ for a 6800 and upwards of $1300+ for a 6800XT and then $2K+ for the 6900XT.

So, right now availability isn't really the issue for AMD. It's the price that's keeping people away more so. When Nvidia equivalent cards hit the shelves, they move, move, move! A 3070 or 3070Ti going for $700-800 is a steal compared to a nearly $1k 6700XT card.
The DYI market is very small. The majority of PC sales (by a vast majority) are pre-builts and laptops.

For example, the biggest retailer in my country (by far) carries just 24 laptops with AMD GPUs, 4 being Macbook Pro and only 4 have the newer 6000 series (and about 5 or 6 with 5000 series). On the other hand there are over 550 laptops with Nvidia GPUs, almost 180 being RTX. (180 vs 10... ouch)

Do you understand the difference now? There just aren't RDNA 2 laptops in the market to buy. Availability just isn't there. Maybe it is better in the US, but everywhere else?

Thankfully I did see laptops with AMD CPUs now being in stock, with Intel only having a 4-5 to 1 lead (the difference used to be a lot larger).

But did you notice something about the numbers I gave you? This exact difference can be seen in the Steam survey for both CPUs and GPUs. Steam is mostly driven by such systems (especially in Asia where internet cafes are huge and those only buy pre-builts).

The DYI market is very small. The majority of PC sales (by a vast majority) are pre-builts and laptops.

For example, the biggest retailer in my country (by far) carries just 24 laptops with AMD GPUs, 4 being Macbook Pro and only 4 have the newer 6000 series (and about 5 or 6 with 5000 series). On the other hand there are over 550 laptops with Nvidia GPUs, almost 180 being RTX. (180 vs 10... ouch)

Do you understand the difference now? There just aren't RDNA 2 laptops in the market to buy. Availability just isn't there. Maybe it is better in the US, but everywhere else?

Thankfully I did see laptops with AMD CPUs now being in stock, with Intel only having a 4-5 to 1 lead (the difference used to be a lot larger).

But did you notice something about the numbers I gave you? This exact difference can be seen in the Steam survey for both CPUs and GPUs. Steam is mostly driven by such systems (especially in Asia where internet cafes are huge and those only buy pre-builts).
So how many of these new laptops are selling with Windows 7? Because clearly Steam Survey says that Windows 7 is making a resurgence based on the information they've provided.

I guess places are only selling Windows 7 laptops because Windows 10 is on the fall and 7 is on the uptick in Steam Survey. It is true because Steam Survey says it is.

All hail Steam Survey!

Last edited:
because they are always one step behind nvidia
Oh lord....but lets say thats true, funny thing is, when AMD respond, its with something that is indeed friendly to the whole industry, instead of one more tech to lock you into nvidia hardware.

the drivers are not as good
Ok, now we know that you dont know anything of what you are talking about.

The current 6K line is actually competing nicely with what they have.

But of course you will say "mUh RT and DLSS yo!".

Yeah, lets count how many games have it and if that currently matter that much, given the fact that they have provided very little in term of gameplay.

But lord, the nvidia drones are simply exhausting when all they do is repeat what the nvidia marketing team tells them what to say.

As already proven, Steam survey is simply flawed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible that Steam Survey is 'broken'?

" no sign of the Radeon RX 6000 series among survey participants "

Wouldn't we see something even if it were only 00.01%?

Is it possible that Steam Survey is 'broken'?

" no sign of the Radeon RX 6000 series among survey participants "

Wouldn't we see something even if it were only 00.01%?
See my post #11. We can see them here https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

Problem is that Nvidia's RTX 3090 somehow has more share that ALL AMD 6000-series cards have combined. Nvidia ships more RTX 3090's with 24GB(!) memory (DDR6X! Only Micron manufactures it) than AMD all 6000-series cards sounds "legit"...

See my post #11. We can see them here https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

Problem is that Nvidia's RTX 3090 somehow has more share that ALL AMD 6000-series cards have combined. Nvidia ships more RTX 3090's with 24GB(!) memory (DDR6X! Only Micron manufactures it) than AMD all 6000-series cards sounds "legit"...
Thanks. and I am still confuzzled. Playing with Steam Survey it appears "AMD Radeon RX 6" results in 4 groups of 4 cards totaling about 0.66%. The groups are by OS and there is a strong suggestion that they overlap. What a mess.

So how many of these new laptops are selling with Windows 7? Because clearly Steam Survey says that Windows 7 is making a resurgence based on the information they've provided.

I guess places are only selling Windows 7 laptops because Windows 10 is on the fall and 7 is on the uptick in Steam Survey. It is true because Steam Survey says it is.

All hail Steam Survey!
If we are talking about Windows 7 then I remember something similar happening some time ago because of the China market.

Older PCs selling on second hand markets mostly because of how expensive newer ones are and people wanting to make some money off older stuff they don't use now that they sell at a higher than normal price.

It could also be because of the Steam Survey algorithms changing (what systems receive the survey, how they count them, etc). Valve does do that sometimes.

If we are talking about Windows 7 then I remember something similar happening some time ago because of the China market.

Older PCs selling on second hand markets mostly because of how expensive newer ones are and people wanting to make some money off older stuff they don't use now that they sell at a higher than normal price.

It could also be because of the Steam Survey algorithms changing (what systems receive the survey, how they count them, etc). Valve does do that sometimes.
You heard it here, folks. Someone is in the know of how Steam Survey works and it is the be all of information to gleen from for all and for any future hardware & software information on what out there is relevant.

We now all bow to your superiority on inside Steam knowledge and how it functions.

With this information now available to us peons, I shall never question or doubt any information ever on any survey I read. Thank you for bringing this to our knowledge, we shall never question Him again. Long live The Gabe!

All hail Gabe.
Hail Gabe!

Good, smart people don't want to waste their money with overpriced AMD GPUs anyways.
Spending thousands of dollars on a PC to play yesterday rasterization only games is just plain stupid.
It's like paying the same amount of money on a KIA car that you could buy a Tesla with, only *****s do that.

You heard it here, folks. Someone is in the know of how Steam Survey works and it is the be all of information to gleen from for all and for any future hardware & software information on what out there is relevant.

We now all bow to your superiority on inside Steam knowledge and how it functions.

With this information now available to us peons, I shall never question or doubt any information ever on any survey I read. Thank you for bringing this to our knowledge, we shall never question Him again. Long live The Gabe!

All hail Gabe.
Hail Gabe!
Thank you. I'm happy to share my superior knowledge with you.

Last edited:
It has been a long time since there were positive reasons to choose an AMD GPU.
Picking out of ideology or being cheap only goes so far. There's always these drawbacks that you have to justify to yourself - and to others, loudly. The AMD fanbase remains pretty toxic.

Back