Latest Windows 10 Insider Build adds GPU monitor to Task Manager, among several other...

Jos

Microsoft has published a new Windows 10 Insider Build to the Fast Ring channel, bringing another round of new features and improvements to the operating system. Of special interest to PC enthusiasts will be a new GPU information panel within the Task Manager performance tab, sitting alongside the longstanding graphs showing real time utilization for CPU(s), RAM, disk, and network.

The Performance tab shows GPU utilization information for each separate GPU component, such as 3D and video encode/decode, as well as graphics memory-usage stats. Moreover, the Details tab shows you GPU utilization info for each process. Microsoft notes it used insiders’ feedback to prioritize and design this feature, which is still under construction.

Microsoft may include FPS and GPU clock speed graphs to the charts available down the road as those are also mentioned in the Insider ‘Feedback Collection’.

Another gaming-related improvement, Microsoft added a new “Xbox Networking” section under Settings > Gaming. Here, Windows will help you attempt to identify and resolve issues preventing you from using voice chatting and playing multiplayer games with other Xbox Live users.

There’s more to check out in the Windows 10 Insider Preview build 16266, here’s a quick rundown:

Microsoft Edge

Microsoft now allows users to migrate cookies and Settings from Google's browser to Edge in the hopes to make a transition easier. It also leaked browser tabs so that the ‘x’ is always displayed, even when the tab is displaying a dialog box, plus improvements to ePub support and favorite management.

OneDrive files On Demand

Microsoft recently made an early version of OneDrive Files on Demand available to Windows Insiders, which lets users access all your files in the cloud without having to download them and use storage space on your device. In this build the functionality has been updated to give you greater control by letting you cancel or block an app from downloading an online-only file.

Touch Keyboard and Pen input

The touch keyboard now has shape writing and text prediction support for more languages, including Russian, Persian and Vietnamese. You will need to download the corresponding language packs. The touch keyboard also supports simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, Japanese and Korean.

Pen scrolling now supports Win32 desktop applications including File Explorer.

Windows Sonic spatial sound on PC

Microsoft is making it easier to enable Windows Sonic, a spatial sound feature it introduced in the Windows 10 Creators Update. Just plug in a pair of headphones, right-click the sound icon in the notification area, and select Spatial sound to choose your preferred format. You can also configure your 5.1, 7.1, or Dolby Atmos for home theater from this menu if it’s your default endpoint.

And more

Microsoft made a lot of improvements and additions to Settings, and polished apps like My People and Calculator, which now has a currency conversion feature. Hyper-V’s Virtual Machine Manager now supports virtual machine (VM) sharing, and all Home and Professional editions now have the SMB1 server component uninstalled by default, which comes in the wake of the recent WannaCry ransomware attack that exploited the Windows implementation of this networking protocol.

Microsoft also enabled the new Reveal Highlight behavior, an interaction visualization that helps guide users (shown at the top of this post), on ListView and other XAML collection controls.

You can check out Microsoft’s blog post for a complete list of changes and improvements.

Permalink to story.

And breaks the **** out of networking... piece of shite!
You have the fact that there might be an wifi and USB driver issue in the reported bugs of the build. Why are you complaining if you upgraded to a fast ring build without even checking what works and what doesn't?
It's also still early in the development cycle for the next major update. They are making a lot of changes to the UI and how certain features work. Just hold off from upgrading for a while.

This is handy information to have, but I'm typically more concerned with GPU temp than usage... Maybe some day that'll be in there as well.

You have the fact that there might be an wifi and USB driver issue in the reported bugs of the build. Why are you complaining if you upgraded to a fast ring build without even checking what works and what doesn't?
It's also still early in the development cycle for the next major update. They are making a lot of changes to the UI and how certain features work. Just hold off from upgrading for a while.
Might be a wifi issue??? If there is when this build hits the general audience, it will mean that the wifi "bug" has been in there since the big release in July of 16' - speaking from personal experience since that release completely broke wifi hotspots.

Rather than putting in something that I find useless like a GPU usage monitor or, for that matter, all of the features highlighted in this article, I would rather have them fix the wifi bug. WTF? I would think that wifi is more important to most people than a GPU usage monitor. I am beginning to think that M$ knows that 10 is a piece of shite, and they are taking stabs at various users to entice them to use the piece of shite called Windoze 10.

Might be a wifi issue??? If there is when this build hits the general audience, it will mean that the wifi "bug" has been in there since the big release in July of 16' - speaking from personal experience since that release completely broke wifi hotspots.

Rather than putting in something that I find useless like a GPU usage monitor or, for that matter, all of the features highlighted in this article, I would rather have them fix the wifi bug. WTF? I would think that wifi is more important to most people than a GPU usage monitor. I am beginning to think that M$ knows that 10 is a piece of shite, and they are taking stabs at various users to entice them to use the piece of shite called Windoze 10.
Sounds frustrating, but just because you don't want a GPU usage monitor doesn't mean no one does. Personally I think that'll be the coolest thing Windows 10 has brought to the table thus far.

Sorry dude, but you are way out there. It's clear that you don't know how these builds work and who should use them. Broken drivers are a common occurrence when they make new fast ring builds. It's a work in progress that is meant to be tested. Even a simple thing like windows version numbers can break some drivers. Anyone who gets angry is just using the free builds willy-nilly without even checking what was changed and reported bugs. I even delay using builds from the slow ring by weeks or months. Hell, the guy complaining might have even been using as his work PC > doing that on the fast ring is just not smart.

Sorry dude, but you are way out there.
That is your opinion my friend. I reported this bug in each and every build that it was broken. If M$ cannot be bothered to fix it, then why on earth should I waste my time installing their updates. Now, you claim that after almost a year that its my fault? I did not read the release notes? Really, if you were in my shoes, I think you would be equally angry that something like this has gone unattended for nearly a year. And, if you take the time to re-read my post instead of doing the TL;DR course, you would have seen the following line:

when this build hits the general audience, it will mean that the wifi "bug" has been in there since the big release in July of 16

I guess you missed that even though it is the first line of the post. My post has little to do with the insider build, and I do not participate in the insider program. What I do not understand is why M$ insists on adding features to an OS that has what many see as the worst update mechanism in a long, long time instead of fixing the real issues with the OS.

I am not alone in my opinion, and as I see it, M$ will never attract a wider audience to 10 while it still has serious problems with updates.

FYI- the machine where the wifi problems happen was running 8.1 and not one single update ever broke WiFi. Not one. You cannot lay this shite on me that even a version number change might break a driver. That is total BS. If your expertise extended to software engineering, you would realize that most drivers work regardless of recent Win OS versions, and if they do not, then the people who wrote them should not be writing drivers in the fist place. M$ is foisting untested and horribly buggy updates on 10 users because they think that they also own the hardware.

Do a search. Look up "WiFi problems Windows 10" and then get back to me on just how way out there I am.

I bet 90% of all these dam comments are from Apple Fan boys... Listen Apple fan boys you have not made anything impressive since Steve Jobs passed away get over it and note that you were defeated when MSFT created windows 10 and is now following your path. Any good leadership knows following the path of a another company which is succeeding always wins. Win10 has not only been a milestone for the company but has changed the industry pretty drastically. So apple fan boys sit back and relax and watch the stock price go through the roof when MSFT unleashes the next biggest update of all times.

Keep it up MSFT - Ring users are ready.

Sincerely,
Samsung Fan Guy

I bet 90% of all these dam comments are from Apple Fan boys..
What a CROCK! Your experience is showing.

BTW: in today's environment, there's not ONE antivirus that can protect anything added to the GPU - - making ALL GPU accelerations suspect and exposed to infections. I guess that systems only used for email, facebook and games don't care too much as they can easily be wiped and reinstalled w/o concern for user (precious & business) data, but the real world is more complex that this simpleton approach.

Sounds frustrating, but just because you don't want a GPU usage monitor doesn't mean no one does. Personally I think that'll be the coolest thing Windows 10 has brought to the table thus far.
AFAIK, the two major GPU vendors, already have monitors for damned near everything their respective GPUs are doing. So, IMHO, that makes this crap M$ is force feeding us more than a little redundant.

Then too, those using integrated graphics, be it via the mobo or the CPU, could most likely, simply not care enough to worry about Windows helping babysit their IGP.

So, it's not enough for the hard core gamer, and superfluous to the average user. What good is it?

You mean you can view GPU usage through the process explorer?

EDIT: Oooooh, Process Explorer is a program. Thanks for the tip!
Yeah written by Mark Russinovich who did such a good job MS hired him so the tools are now officially delivered via TechNet.

I bet 90% of all these dam comments are from Apple Fan boys... Listen Apple fan boys you have not made anything impressive since Steve Jobs passed away get over it and note that you were defeated when MSFT created windows 10 and is now following your path. Any good leadership knows following the path of a another company which is succeeding always wins. Win10 has not only been a milestone for the company but has changed the industry pretty drastically. So apple fan boys sit back and relax and watch the stock price go through the roof when MSFT unleashes the next biggest update of all times.

Keep it up MSFT - Ring users are ready.

Sincerely,
Samsung Fan Guy
LUL WUT... What has Win10 done for the industry? The unified windows platform and windows store are disasters. Cortana is the solution to a problem no-one is asking. Bing is another worthless piece of junk and is being rammed into every orifice MS can stick it in.

Back