TechSpot

Launching TechSpot similar downloads, other site enhancements

By Julio Franco
Nov 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Our small but dedicated group of web developers are always hard at work, making sure things are running smoothly across the site. Admitedly, half their time is spent on details that may not be so obvious: performance and stability enhancements,...

Read more

2. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 637   +117

Woot! Techspot FTW!
    Thanks guys for maintaining a great site and continuing to improve it.

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

Nice!!!
    Thanks TechSpot. :)

Question: Has all the apps been organized by similar categories?

Suggestion: Wish all the software updates could be linked somehow. This way when you vote for a software, your vote is carried over to the next version automatically. However I would also like to reserve the right to change my vote in the future, if the new updates are better or worse. As it is, I find it a waste of time voting for some of the apps, when they are updated twice a month.

4. TitoBXNY

TitoBXNY TS Enthusiast Posts: 133   +17

Awesome job guys, thank you for keeping me educated through out the years. Techspot has been my home page for years. I was debating on which budget card to get and you just helped me make my decision. Sweet!

5. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,505   +311

Good old techspot, one of the rare websites where I actually like the improvements, and is the first website I login to every day :)

treeski likes this.
  6. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 880   +130

I have to disagree with this suggestion. I think more often then not, software gets penalized due to poor previous versions (with this suggested scenario). If this does get implemented, I would want a way to see the votes for the current version only.

7. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Topic Starter Posts: 6,565   +330

Thanks for the kind comments.

cliffordcooley, actually that's the way it works right now. The option to change your vote was added just recently, otherwise the current scores are historical votes for all versions. The system has shortcomings as treeski points out, but we are figuring out a way of changing that while encouraging more participation from readers. That change won't come until sometime next year however.

treeski and cliffordcooley like this.
  8. Thanks TechSpot for your effort to bring out this helpful feature to us.(y)

9. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,056   +76

Julio about mobile site (I.e. m.techspot.com)
    For some odd reasons, the headline bar on the mobile site doesn't work in Chrome (and in stock browser), in FF it works but is a hastle / lack smoothness.

Except for these, great work and keep it up guys :)

Thanks.

10. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

Lmao same here, my gf got on my computer once and said "Do you work there or something? Course the answer was "I wish!"

Julio Franco likes this.
  11. Julio Franco

Archean Which is the headline bar? The login menu, the + sign pop menu, or the homepage featured stories (that scroll horizontally)?
    Also which phone and OS are you using? Thanks!

12. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,056   +76

Homepage featured stories bar, it doesn't scroll horizontally as it should. I can hardly move it to second story in Chrome and stock browser, and in FF at least after several attempts I can move to the end of it.

[​IMG]

Also notice that the arrow sign on the Latest in the bar overrides the word. Does it suppose to appear at the center of the bar?

I am using SGS3 on JB 4.1.1 FF/Chrome latest versions.

I also noticed this behavior on my now sold Lumia 800's browser. I'll let you know how it goes once I get my hands on 920 (hopefully soon as it hasn't launched here so far).

13. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 880   +130

I assume you're supposed to be able to swipe the headlines to view others. If so, it doesn't work at all on my Lumia 920.

14. Julio Franco

Last time we checked we were doing OK on Android and iOS, Windows Phone was kind of OK, too, but not perfect.
    This helps, thank you.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.