Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 13" Notebook Review

Julio Franco

Staff member
Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 13" Notebook Review

The ThinkPad Edge notebook that we'll be looking at today is part of an all-new series from Lenovo announced early this year at CES. The ThinkPad Edge blends some of the things we liked on the IdeaPad with the power and legacy of ThinkPads.

Read the full review at:
https://www.techspot.com/review/254-lenovo-thinkpad-edge/

Please leave your feedback here.

I guess i could see this for business use. For personal use it doesn't have the feature set that I expect.

Thinkpads have always been my fav. laptops, thay seem to be the best in lasting a very long time, good solid parts. This system seems to be a nice unit, for a good price.

"Lenovo made some bold moves with the design, layout and function of the keyboard. Most notably it did away with some keys that most users never use, like SysRq (System Request), Screen Lock and Pause / Break. I fully agree with this decision and also like the placement of the Page Up / Down keys beside the arrow keys."

Yeah, totally agreed, I have no idea what those buttons even do...

Not sure about the placement of the PgUp/PgDown buttons though, especially for business use (I'm thinking Excel). Looks very decent for the price though.

It is for business use! never mind, but they should include a GPU ! cuz many business related apps need that!
BTW lenovo is a great company, I have been using its laptop for the last 1 year and it is great. Good battery (around 4 hrs.) though it doesnt has GPU but i love it.

Thinkpad's are amazing, the best notebook build quality EVER.
I have a IBM Thinkpad 770X that has a Intel Pentium II 300 MHz, 192 MB of RAM, 8.1 GB HDD (yes 8.1), and even a DVD drive all from 1998. It still like brand new, if I threw it at someone or something it would probably break whatever I threw it at.

At this model anyways I'd still prefer the real Thinkpad's not this half and half model.

I just dont like the big red track button in the middle of the keyboard. I left 1999 back in its own year, along with everything that was used then.

No optical drive is a tad puzzling. Keyboard decisions are, actually, good. Fn key placement is typical of all IBM/Lenovo notebooks, so no surprise there. Otherwise seems like a solid machine. I used Lenovo Z61t for the past two years and did not have a single complaint. Hope this one lives to the durability expectations.

Against my advice for buying a Lenovo my brother-in-law bought himself a Sony Vaio (don't remember the model) since they look stylish and already swapped the machine twice - first the touchpad buttons stopped working, then the battery stopped charging.

Lenovo has only a big handicap: old ibm design. This is the only reason i have found to answer me why it cannot take the lead.

I have to say I really hate it when they put the Fn button on the far left like that. I much prefer Ctrl, Fn, Start, Alt for the order of my keys over there. probably b/c that is how my laptop is. But all the newer laptops I have seen the Fn key to the far left, and I always hit it instead of ctrl. have had some odd things happen b/c of that......

The TrackPoint is located between the G, H and B keys. For those unfamiliar, this is a pointing device that emulates a mouse pointer using your finger.

A friend of mine has a Lenovo ThinkPad. When I first tried the TrackPoint, I knew right away that it was not natural. My friend said that he had a hard time at first but now used it regularly. In fact, he said that he now preferred the TrackPoint over the TouchPad. I was fortunate enough to observe him using the TrackPoint. I just wanted to say this. It was painful for me when I saw him used the TrackPoint. Now I understood why he wasn't getting that much done.

With all the convincing words and features stated in this article, I should have bought this Thinkpad if I can afford it. I do not find the design bad, in fact it's simplicity caught all of my attention. It's simple yet sophisticated, I agree with the author. It looks promising.

I love the fact that it can fold back all the way. I also like the little nub. I found an old PII Thinkpad in the garbage several years back, which needed just a few small things to get running. It still works perfectly and is a perfect web machine.

I know the exterior look might not be important but there is something that I really don't like about Lenovo's laptops. I know they are good computers but i wish they polish up the exterior a bit more

Agree with first poster, not only is this not really capable of the sorts of features that i'd expect for a home use laptop but it's also visually pretty bland.

Good for the business man on the go i'm sure.

good review. looks like a decent laptop for business, but might not offer too much otherwise... especially with the lack of an optical drive

The AMD Athlon Neo X2 would be an appropriate model, for this notebook. I think the Error-correcting code helps boost the stability of the processor.

However, the Intel used for it, seems suitable - but could be better. Nontheless, with 4 GB RAM and a 320 GB hard drive, this will help any power user who needs a fast and stable computer. I think the user would be in good hands, especially if they were running Windows 7 Ultimate, or any other lower version.

Sophisticated simplicity might be the right phrase, but I am thinking one better: Total Power!

I hate how these computers ussually are weak in the graphics dpt, I hope in the future we can have truly portable gaming computers...

I won´t try to convince anyone, less the dye-hard Thinkpad loyals, God help me not to try such a move ever. I will tell you my own personal experience and thoughts. I bought my first Thinkpad by 2005, a T42, what an extraordinary feeling when I unpacked this slim machine, compact and robust as if it were a solid metal brick, almost perfect for my needs except for the screen brightness... the worst I ever have had. Then it came the T60 and a R50, good overall performance however their footprint and weight were a pain in the *** when I had to travel with in my backpack . So since last year I was looking for a replacement, and the ultraslim, low powered, low priced machines appeared in the market. My thoughts now were to look for a light notebook, medium performance, long lasting battery and nice screen that I could change for e new model within a year of use. First I had the Acer Timeline 1410, then the HP-DM3 and now at last this jewel! The Thinkpad Edge... back to the old faithful Thinkpad home... and you know what guys? I missed the Lenovo´s applications and support, the trackpoint and the keyboard... none of the afore mentioned brands nor other like Toshiba, Asus, Sony or Dell had what I missed from Lenovo. And this Edge 13 offers them all... Yes it has some minor flaws to correct in next editions (To include DVD RW, better case borders design, a disk activity LED and some help and machine cofiguration utility) Nevertheless this is a real Thinkpad and I think will keep with me more than a year!!!

Unfortunately they removed the BIOS option to disable the touchpad! I can't understand why, as you hardly can prevent touching the pad when using teh trackpoint...

FAMILY[THINKPAD EDGE 13] TYPE[0196] MODEL[ 24U]
OPERATING-SYSTEM[ WIN 7 ]

I got an edge and got an error message that the battery was not a Lenovo battery.

Then I was notified (I believe through the built in Lenovo SW) to upgrade my bios to correct thsi problem. I did.When I did, no password was requested and noen entered for bios upgrade.

The machine ran well, except an external ASUS DVD Drive would no longer work. About 3 weeks later, I turned off the machine. Next time I turned it on I got a lock with a small computer next to it.

Tech support told me first that I needed a BIOS password - then that I needed a Power-Up Password. And that to repair it wold cost $950 - more than a the machine.

I have read that bios problems can be caused by static electricity - getting 2 answers from tech support makes me doubtful. Anyone know what the symbols actually represent? Have there been similar problems? I cannot find a manual for the Edge to read up on this.

So I was on the computer store, to get a new laptop for myself, after a horrible experience with a high-end Dell laptop. Keeping in mind that I would depend on my laptop almost 24-7, for all kinds of use like heavy programming IDEs, heavy multi-tasking, multimedia, well pretty much anything except for heavy 3D rendering. For video games I have my playstation so.... don't expect that from a laptop.

I have to say, I am an IT guy who reviews tech specs up and down before purchasing. And this machine was strange contradiction of light-processing and portability. Just going with a hunch, I decided for this Lenovo Edge. I got the AMD Neo X2 one.

Only a year after that I realize what an excellent choice that was.
Let me summarize:

CONS:
-They decided to take away the LED indicator for caps-lock. Instead, a driver-activated sign shows up on the screen. I would like my LED indicator back.. but I'm guess I'm just getting old.
-It doesn't come with a LED for hard drive activity. I want that one back.
-No optical drive was a bad thing at the beginning until I realized I just don't need a DVD drive! So that's actually a PRO for me.

PROS:
-The weight is so light that sometimes I forget I'm carrying a laptop on my backpack.
-Excellent trade-off between processing power, portability, and usability.
-The keyboard distribution might seem odd at first. After getting used to it I realize the designers were just *brilliant*. The page-up/page-down keys next to the arrows, cutting off some fat like sysReq and the likes, and the keyboard feel... I love what they've done.
-The processor is not high end, but it is dual core and trust me: it is very good. I can run two or three virtual machines with VMware while I have my other programs running with no problem!!
-I am an IT consultant so I don't play games on this laptop. However I tried a few games and they worked just fine for me (maybe because I don't care about 3D games).
-It doesn't come with a DVD drive, but honestly I don't need one and I haven't seen many people intensively using optical drives on laptops for maybe 2 years now.
-It comes with track-point as well, which comes very handy in many situations. At least for me, it relieves my wrist from the stress of using touch pad.
-Most laptops are a pain in the *** when it's time to change/upgrade parts like hard drive, RAM, processor, or if you just want to do a clean up the dust. This laptop comes with one big lid on the bottom: remove a few screws and you'll have all critical parts right there. To me, it is an example to follow by other makers.

No, of course you can not run games with extreme 3D graphics, if that's your expectation on this machine (particularly on a laptop) then you are missing the point, and better go for a 2000$ computer (and I should say, a desktop). I've had a Dell laptop able to do that, it came with optical drive, had a dozen ports, and I returned it because that laptop was a freaking monster, too big, too heavy, and too expensive. I decided to cut off some fat and this ThinkPad Edge was a happy choice for me.

Back