TechSpot

LF suggestions for a new PC

By Flopi
Dec 22, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Hey all, i'm looking to upgrade my current build with the following configuration:
    CPU: Intel® CoreTM i5-760
    MB: Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3
    RAM: Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G
    HDD: WD5000AAKS
    PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W
    GPU: Gigabyte GV-N460OC-1GI
    Case: Enermax ECA3190-BS

I already own the 64bit op sys.
    The overall budget is 900$.
    Any feedback/suggestions/thoughts are appreciated.
    Thanks for your time and I wish you all Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

2. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 854

Looks like a nice setup, enjoy it!

3. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

Oooh yeah, some nice choices there..I'de be more than happy with that.

4. Flopi

Flopi TS Rookie Topic Starter

If your saying that only some of them are nice choices... on which one could i improve?... i'm particularly interested in the choice of the motherboard. I had a selection of three from which i chose the one mentioned in the previous post. The other two were: Asus P7P55D & ASRock P55 Pro.

5. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

Well, the case i can't really comment on because ive got my own personal favorite that i doubt i'll ever change, but apart from that, they all look pretty much spot on. I think i'de probably stay with the Gigabyte board if i had the choice...I'm actually eying one up myself for the future.

That GPU's a very nice choice...

Huh?..I never said nothing ;)

6. JMMD

JMMD TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 854

That is an Nvidia GPU, Gigabyte just makes the card.

7. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,379   +16

Good build, but I personally would make a few changes.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 - Pretty much the same board just better priced.
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) - Overall better RAM for hardly an increase in price, and it would probably be wise to get 8GB's if you could.
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - I would say this is the better buy vs WD alternatives at the moment.

Regarding your other parts, cases are subjective and I personally would choose an Antec/Cooler Master over Enermax. The Corsair power supply is fine for this system but you could go with something a little less powerful if you wanted to cut down the price. The GTX 460 is a perfect card depending on your resolution, and that Gigabyte one comes at a good price. I noticed you didn't list an optical drive, are planning on reusing your old one? If not this Lite-On should serve you well.

8. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

I would recommend this PSU over the Corsair; better efficiency for around the same price.

I also second Relic's recommendation for the SpinPoint F3 1TB.

Lastly, unless the Enermax case is cheaper, another case like the Cooler Master 690 II would be a better choice.