TechSpot

LG Display unveils world's thinnest TV panel

By Jos
Dec 21, 2009
  1. Taking a break from the multitude of 3D-related announcements LG is drawing our attention towards another big selling point for today's HDTVs. The company has unveiled a 42-inch 1080p panel that's just 2.6mm (or 0.1 inch) thick, surpassing the world's thinnest record set by Samsung Electronics at 3.9 millimeters, and significantly improving upon their previous 5.9mm thick model.

Read the whole story

2. shossofe

shossofe TS Member Posts: 49

wow, that's really thin. hmmm, now to make a TV screen that hovers over a small orb......

.1 inches is too thin. I'll just stick to my fat TV's.

3. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

Yeah, i think i would be afraid of it snapping in two as soon as it gets hit with a nerf ball.

4. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,356   +402

That's crazy thin. I'll have to see it to believe it. And agree with compdata - first time something bumps into it, what's going to happen?

5. Talk about "Cutting edge technology". Are they making weapons? These things "God forbid" are killers in case a twister hits. Also... thieves beware!!!

6. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

What I don't get is what makes super flat screens so attractive - they sit on a wall or in a corner and it's not like anybody will take the effort to look around the side and say "ooh that's really thin". Because LED TVs have better picture quality than regular LCDs then yeah, maybe the thinness is a bonus, but it certainly wouldn't make a difference if it was 2.6mm or 5.9mm or whatever.

7. BlindObject

BlindObject TS Rookie Posts: 446

Stealing a 42 inch 9 pound tv? That sounds easy. I'll just stack them up and take like 3-4 and I can still run for it loL!

8. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +87

This is what I've been looking for! An HD TV that I can shave with!

What does the shipping carton look like? Pizza box?

Now, if they could only price these sets per inch I might be able to really afford one. I hope they're still working on making them affordable and not just thin.

9. pkww2

pkww2 TS Rookie Posts: 22

Price will be sky rocking high when they hit the market, and still not too many people will buy it even you have tons of $$$ to spend!

10. blimp01

blimp01 TS Enthusiast Posts: 157

haha cutting edge -- nice one

11. you could probably stick that on a wall with double-sided scotch tape!!!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.