LG shows off extra-wide 29-inch, 21:9 monitor at IFA

Jos

LG unveiled an unusual-looking computer monitor ahead of the IFA 2012 conference this week designed with multi-taskers and cinema buffs in mind. The 29-inch EA93 boasts a 21:9 aspect ratio (the same ratio used in actual movie theaters) with a native WQHD resolution of 2560 x 1080, making it an ideal choice for viewing Blu-ray flicks or gaming without the distraction of screen bezels in a multi-monitor setup.

LG's framing the EA93 as a solid choice for photographers, multimedia pros and other multi-taskers as well, with a screen-splitting feature that that breaks the display up into four segments and allows several custom options. The Dual Link-up function allows two devices to connect to the monitor simultaneously.

lg monitor ultra extra wide screen

The LG EA93 has a response time of 5ms and 178-degree viewing angles both horizontally and vertically. In terms of connectivity it has one DVI-D Dual port, two HDMI ports, four USB 3.0 ports, one DisplayPort, PC audio in and headphone out. There’s also support for Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL), which allows you to mirror the contents of your smartphone or tablet while charging it at the same time.

LG hasn’t announced exactly when the EA93 will go on sale or how much it will cost. The company also announced the EA83, a 27-inch IPS monitor with a 2560 x 1440 resolution that will sell for around €800. The latter has a 16:9 aspect ration and features a host of ports, including one DVI-D Dual, HDMI, and USB 3.0.

Image credit: The Verge

Permalink to story.

God Almighty! That is pretty badass screen I must say, not for me due to this being rather for specific usage(s) but of course if I had money to throw out id buy it (being rich basically, proper minted that is).

OMG I want one!!

well I would like it to BEND has in \__/ insstead of --- kinda thing

How can it have a 21:9 aspect ratio and a 2560x1440 resolution (16:9 aspect ratio)?
You can't. 21:9 -more often refered to as 2.39:1 or 2.4:1 scales out to 2560x1080

Guest made a typo, he meant to say "Will it Blend?"
Or it could be a reference to the widescreen monitors that are curved
nec-crv43-curved-display,T-K-213608-13.jpg

So what I want to know is can I plug my AMD 6870 into it like I was using three screens.

Let me know when you manufacturers make a 2560 x 1600 led thin 120hz 16:10 version I'll buy but not until then.

I wonder if my Video Card will support 3 of these bad boys in an Eyefinity setup????

Didn't Philips already try this with television and give up on the idea? Whatever happened to the one alienware was developing?

Let me know when you manufacturers make a 2560 x 1600 led thin 120hz 16:10 version I'll buy but not until then.

I'll take one of these, too. I have a 30" dell version but at 60hz and lcd. It's still the best monitor I've ever used, but those 1080 led 120hz TVs make me hot. lol

Clearly some people just skimmed the article if they missed that there were TWO models announced with a 21:9 ratio (EA93, 2560x1080) and one with a 16:9 ratio (EA83, 2560x1440).

Clearly some people just skimmed the article if they missed that there were TWO models announced with a 21:9 ratio (EA93, 2560x1080) and one with a 16:9 ratio (EA83, 2560x1440).
No one skimmed the article, the comments had me confused until I went back and noticed the error in the article (which has since been corrected).

Now that would be ideal, and avoids dealing with several bezels from multiple displays. I'd definitely purchase one when it becomes available.

I still don't know what USB ports on a monitor are for..

It gives you additional USB ports to connect additional USB accessories and behaves in the same way external USB hubs do.

Back