LG to deliver 40" OLED panels in 2012, will be cheaper than LCDs in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

In addition to announcing that its 15" OELD display will hit Korean shelves in November, LG revealed plans to release 20"-plus OLED panels in 2010, 30"-plus in 2011, and 40"-plus in 2012 -- quite the outlook. While smaller panels will use sixth-generation substrates with a low-temperature polycrystal silicon, OLED panels larger than 40" will require eight-generation size glass substrates.

According to LG's OLED sales and marketing VP Won Kim, eighth-generation substrates will require LG to develop equipment that can handle a temperature of over 700 degrees Celsius. The company says oxide semiconductor is one of the candidate materials to be used for large panels, but it has a low reproducibility because of variations among lots. It was also made known that fluorescent materials will be used until 2011, followed by phosphorescent materials.

LG hopes to achieve a 50% higher material cost and a 30% lower yield than those of LCD panels in 2012, and a 20-30% lower material cost with an equivalent yield in 2016 -- meaning that 40" OLED displays may be cheaper than their LCD counterparts in 7 years.

Permalink to story.

Sweeet... I hope this happens even sooner :) But i imagine technologies will be way higher then these expectations , technology's grow faster everyday , so i asume this could happen sooner . But a funny thing thats in my head there are gonna be plenty of morons that think the world is gonna end by 2012 ;D :D :D

I'll believe when I see it but I'm glad this is at least progressing. I'm sure even with the cost savings the consumers are not going to see that much of a savings. They will charge whatever they can get away with.

This technology is mind-boggling. But like JMMD, I have to see it to believe it. Plus it looks like they're going to need to do some work on boosting the resolution as according to that article, it's 720p and low(er) price or not, that's not what's selling these days.

I'm always skeptical when companies make predictions this far out, but I hope they're right. At least it will give me time to get some good use out of my current TV before needing (or wanting) to purchase a new one.

Ok, seriously? 2016? That's just over 6 years away, the entire tech world will be different by then, the next generation of consoles will most likely be out.... I think that's just too far of a prediction.

This technology is mind-boggling.
I don't think it qualifies as 'mind boggling'. It isn't really any more impressive than currently existing LCD technologies, although the result is better in almost every way (contrast, color etc.) and a far more flexible product (in both terms of manufacturing and physically).

However, it's my understanding that current techniques used to manufacturer OLED panels are more expensive than their LCD counterparts though. I for one, would like to see what happens or if this is just marketing yap.

The only problem with OLED is that they just don't have the product life that LCDs do. Sure, they are being used in a select few laptops (Macbook air, for example), but we're talking 15,000 hours tops. Unless there are some improvements in the MTBF of these panels, I can't see them being used for 'always on' desktops in the office or in your home. Otherwise you'll be throwing them away every couple of years.

Very sweet indeed.. but the sad part is these really won't be commonly available for us for a long time to come. But it is showing great promise for a new king to take over from current lcd's

Sounds good and I like what is being shown in the pics. Wish there was a monitor out there with that design...

That looks amazing and crazy thin. I don't believe tech will ever be cheaper tho, why would it? They can sell it for way over production price and make even more $ and thats all they care about...$_$ Like the shoes I buy are $100 but they make them for cents. The sell value is that its better than before so it should cost you more.

OK, now really, its obvious OLED will be cheaper... Thats the path that Plasma and now LCD has taken. I wish they would just focus on the OLED now, get it out the door and start saving us energy, space and our eyes!

hmmm...7 years huh? That's an eternity in the 'techverse'. Let's see... what happened 7 years ago? A lot has changed since then.

In 2016 I'll be able to watch tv on my toilet paper. The technology will long be obsolete by the time they project to lower costs. I wonder what LG thinks the value of the dollar will be by then?

It's good to see there is some progress on the screen evolution, but we are still away from OLED.
Anyway it's the replacement for today's LCD screens as they'll be thinner, brighter and powersavers!

The concept is nice, but as everyone has already stated, 6-7 years from now, they'll likely be developing a different kind of screen everyone is anticipating, talking about how obsolete OLED is...

6 years too much wait... and wait, there is no mention of TOUCH, what do you expect after 6 years, screens with n touch that is too boring... :(

7 years ago Intel was still putting out P4s...in that much time I'll probably have a wall sized tv or projection screen, with touch/motion capabilities, or whatever interface we are using.

I like the tech and always buy LG displays , I might be a fanboy but at least its in style. I am looking forward to a 30" display on my PC. 120hz would be nice to take advantage of NVIDIA 3D

it says that LG will have to develop equipment that will be able to handle temps of 700C, does anyone know why this would be? I assume they are speaking of the manufacturing of these OLED screens, and not the finished product?

Until 2016, we will be using successfully the "oldschool" LCD screens, which perform great and are a huge step from CRT tubes regarding power consumption and size. Also I'm sure that in 2013-2014 a new, better technology will appear, and OLED will be also a temporary standard for screens, because it also has some drawbacks. The future will show us, but my opinion is that sometime we will have displays made from intelligent materials, which will be able to display infinitesimal resolutions and the smallest pixel will be projected by only one molecule ;) . This may sound like SF, but try to look to today's technology from a 20 years ago human's eyes....

i hope led or oled will gaine nough momentum so that it will be cheap enough to make it to the market. I like the fact that led runs cooler than lcd because my 24'' lcd monitor is running too hot for me on a hot summer day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back