LG to ship first 55" OLED TV in May for $7,928

Rick

Staff

MK Business News reports that LG plans to be the first company to launch a full-sized, OLED-based television. The ultra-thin 55-inch television is expected to ship as early as May. Of course, the only thing more impressive than the TV itself will be its asking price of about $7,928.91.

LG actually showed off a 55-inch OLED TV at CES a few months ago. If the one released in May is anything like the demo unit we saw at CES, consumers can expect something that is less than a half-centimeter thick, under 17 pounds and 3D ready. 

LG had also talked about adding a number of futuristic features, including 3D motion and voice gesture controls. However, LG has yet to comment on what consumers should expect from the new television.

OLED (organic light-emitting diode) is superior to traditional LCD technologies in a number of ways and has been long considered the (almost) perfect mate for televisions. In other words, OLED and TVs go together like peanut butter and chocolate.

For starters, such screens don't require a backlight because each pixel provides its own light source. As a direct result, OLED displays can be super thin, provide better contrast, deeper blacks, better viewing angles and do it all with considerably less power (with the right design, of course).

OLED also provides faster response times by orders of magnitude, eliminating any ghosting or even appreciable latency. Where large LCD panels typically have response times slower than 20ms, OLED panels exhibit response times of less than 0.01ms

Permalink to story.

So when they going to create a 24inch 1920x1200 OLED screen?

Sell it around the £200 mark and you got a sale right there!

Ooo, that sounds like a nice display. I can't wait for the reviews to learn how well it represents all colors. For the price, I'll be waiting a while longer before I get something to replace my plasma display.

- LG first 55" OLED TV: $7,928
- Nintendo Wii with one control: $149.99
- Staying a life time in prison for killing your friend after he break your tv: Priceless.

Props to LG for actually bringing it to market as promised!

Can't wait for competition to heat up and start pushing those prices down, though <$8k isn't too bad for a cutting edge television, considering how much LCD TVs used to cost less than a decade back.

Not a bad starting point. I remember when the first HDTVs were selling for $12k+ and there wasn't even much HD content to watch.

did i hear that vid right, it has a subpixel arrangement, that sounds a lot like pentile.

Julio said:
Not a bad starting point. I remember when the first HDTVs were selling for $12k+ and there wasn't even much HD content to watch.

That is very true.

Sorry but being in the retail market selling TV's, LG is the last company I'd trust anything from. Everyone is all excited for this OLED coming out but does any recall the 2 year mark issue that LG is having on them. I'll stick with Panasonic for TV's thanks lol

Low response time, good viewing angles, thin bezels... can't wait for OLED to come to PC monitors!

Also I haven't seen the resolution mentioned anywhere, for the price it better be 4K.

The TV is super thin but the only problem is the big module in the back to plug in the cables and power, you can see on the video that this plastic box seem to be like 2-3 inch thick. Whats the point to have a super thin TV and still you cannot put it flat on the wall.

Considering I spent $5,999 on my first 52" this doesn't seem too bad. Once it goes into real mass production then the price will drop quickly.

I am with @captainawesome I want this on my laptop and computer screens. Hopefully it wont be like FHD screens for laptops and only be in a handful of products. This is exactly the type of technology we need in portable devices to make them lighter.

From a computing perspective, I put my money on them appearing in pad devices first and then maybe ultrabooks, and finally a few years later they will appear in other high-end laptops.

Oh really an after 2- 3 yrs its all "F'ed" up huh. I have a samsung 40" HDtv I bought back in 08 an it has black shimmering bars running horizontally thru it evry few hrs of watching ....really suks!!! HD is great but the TVs are poorly made.

Back