TechSpot

LG to ship first 55" OLED TV in May for $7,928

By Rick
Mar 27, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. MK Business News reports that LG plans to be the first company to launch a full-sized, OLED-based television. The ultra-thin 55-inch television is expected to ship as early as May.…

Read the whole story

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,963   +389

Dont even touch that TV, it looks like it will snap in half.

3. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 418   +42

Cant wait for these to be ~$800 :) Come on 2015, you can't come soon enough !

4. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 418   +42

and this tech definitely needs to be in my next notebook!

5. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,524   +324

So when they going to create a 24inch 1920x1200 OLED screen?

Sell it around the £200 mark and you got a sale right there!

6. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 982   +89

Ooo, that sounds like a nice display. I can't wait for the reviews to learn how well it represents all colors. For the price, I'll be waiting a while longer before I get something to replace my plasma display.

7. - LG first 55" OLED TV: $7,928
    - Nintendo Wii with one control: $149.99
    - Staying a life time in prison for killing your friend after he break your tv: Priceless.

8. Props to LG for actually bringing it to market as promised!

Can't wait for competition to heat up and start pushing those prices down, though <$8k isn't too bad for a cutting edge television, considering how much LCD TVs used to cost less than a decade back.

9. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,589   +351

Not a bad starting point. I remember when the first HDTVs were selling for $12k+ and there wasn't even much HD content to watch.

10. did i hear that vid right, it has a subpixel arrangement, that sounds a lot like pentile.

11. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

That is very true.

12. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 906   +54

I remember when a 42 inch plasma was $20k and there was no HD content.

13. But where's the projector?

14. AccordXTC

AccordXTC TS Rookie

Sorry but being in the retail market selling TV's, LG is the last company I'd trust anything from. Everyone is all excited for this OLED coming out but does any recall the 2 year mark issue that LG is having on them. I'll stick with Panasonic for TV's thanks lol

15. Will it blend?

16. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Low response time, good viewing angles, thin bezels... can't wait for OLED to come to PC monitors!

Also I haven't seen the resolution mentioned anywhere, for the price it better be 4K.

17. Call me in 5 - 10 years when the price is mainstream.

18. The TV is super thin but the only problem is the big module in the back to plug in the cables and power, you can see on the video that this plastic box seem to be like 2-3 inch thick. Whats the point to have a super thin TV and still you cannot put it flat on the wall.

19. killeriii

killeriii TS Enthusiast Posts: 213   +14

lol :D

20. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,355   +283

Considering I spent $5,999 on my first 52" this doesn't seem too bad. Once it goes into real mass production then the price will drop quickly.

21. waterytowers

waterytowers TS Rookie Posts: 85

I am with @captainawesome I want this on my laptop and computer screens. Hopefully it wont be like FHD screens for laptops and only be in a handful of products. This is exactly the type of technology we need in portable devices to make them lighter.

From a computing perspective, I put my money on them appearing in pad devices first and then maybe ultrabooks, and finally a few years later they will appear in other high-end laptops.

22. Oh really an after 2- 3 yrs its all "F'ed" up huh. I have a samsung 40" HDtv I bought back in 08 an it has black shimmering bars running horizontally thru it evry few hrs of watching ....really suks!!! HD is great but the TVs are poorly made.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.