LG to ship smartphone with flexible OLED screen later this year

By Shawn Knight
Apr 25, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. LG vice president of mobile Yoon Bu-hyun recently told the Wall Street Journal that his company would be launching a smartphone featuring a flexible OLED display later this year. Specifically, the handset will reach consumers during the fourth quarter but...

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,852   +889

I dont think it is economical to make a curved screen just to view messages without having to remove your phone.
  3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,050   +699

I agree, but this type of technology strikes me as something that might have applications we haven't even imagined yet. Or... it might just be an expensive gimmick.
    JC713 likes this.
  4. ArthurZ

ArthurZ Newcomer, in training Posts: 79

And this is despite Corning's CEO saying such technology is several years away. May be this holds true for the slow changing Apple though.
  5. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 179   +25

This needs to be applied to tablets so I could roll it up like a newspaper and start whacking people.
  6. soldier1969

soldier1969 TechSpot Booster Posts: 244   +43

I'm anxious to see what Samsung has with this tech come the Note 3 this Fall. Rollable/foldable maybe?
  7. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,672   +509

Doesn't look in any way useful. It's twisted.
  8. Timonius

Timonius TechSpot Booster Posts: 578   +32

Whatever. A flexible display is useless without the rest of the hardware being flexible. EPIC fail.
  9. @ Timonius

exactly,

Ben: "Hey Joe look at my new phone, it has a bendable screen! "

Joe: "Oh really? cool, let me see! Show me, can I see you bend it?"

Ben: "Well, uhmmm...no.
  10. Long before android was invented, you can found many phone with bendable screen in Japan, even you can find a phone that can wrap to your wrist like snap bracelet, just slap it to your wrist, then the phone will curved wrap your wrist

11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,972   +729

Handy. This means I can fold up my new 10" cell phone and carry it around in my wallet.
  12. For everyone saying a curved screen is useless, I have one word for you. "Pocketable!" All we see is phones with bigger and bigger screens. It would be nice to put it in your pocket without it sticking out like a brick. Even if the sides curved in a bit I would buy it simply because I dont like to carry a 4'' phone in my pocket! Feels like its going to break.

The rest of you can say its dumb and just carry a Merse for all I care.
  13. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,852   +889

There is development of flexible circuitry and batteries. Dont be quick to judge.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.