LG touts world's first full HD 3D monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

With the so-called 3D revolution picking up steam, we are bound to see countless products boasting the technology in the coming months, and a wave of manufacturers hoping users will upgrade their existing displays. It remains to be seen how consumers in general react to this movement, but LG wants to be the one leading the charge with the world's first mass produced full HD 3D monitor.

Measuring in at 23 inches, the LCD monitor is being marketed to PC gamers, though will also be compatible with upcoming high definition 3D broadcasts, which are set to enter a trial phase next year in Korea. Details remain scarce at the moment, but the good news is you won't need to keep your shutter glasses on at all times, as LG's monitor is also capable of switching between 2D and 3D modes on the fly.

Permalink to story.

I'm sorry, but having to wear a pair of glasses to see 3D isn't really 3D, isn't practical, and reallym I just don't care. 3D is a lame fad and to me they still look horrid. I'm tired of hearing about them.

I really would wanna know how much it costs , if it costs over 400$ than in my eyes its pointless for pc gamers , but mby not for 3d movie watchers or something like that,

I'll give the tech 2-3 more years before I consider buying it. Much as I am doing with SSD's. Should make for quite engaging home entertainment.

Too bad you have to put on lame glasses to get 3-d. 3-d sounds interesting, but at this point its probably pretty expensive.

I don't see the point. jjbeard926, your right, having to wear glasses just makes it seem pointless. Plus, whenever I look at a 3D display even with the glasses the picture quality inst even remotely close to a normal display.

Would that be harmful for the eyes if glasses put on and used for long time..like excessive gaming sessions?

I would love to try it out but it will probably be a couple of years before the tech becomes affordable.

Yeah I'm tired of hearing about this too.

I thought the 80s taught us about these silly electronic fads... or not?

News Flash for everyone who wants 3d without waring some form of eyeware. The only way to get a 3 dimensional image is to create image separation between what your eyes see. So either you create a true 3-d model/image (think 3-d hologram) or you have to come up with some way to create two images on the same flat surface and trick you eyes into only seeing one of them. So get use to 3-d glasses or opt for some retinal implants that either filter colors to trick your eyes or that alternate frames between your eyes.

Not even up for consideration. I've yet to see a 3D movie - even a 3D IMAX movie - that didn't look fuzzy as hell around the edges. Total novelty and zero practicality.

I'll be happy with DX11 thank ya very much! :D

Those glasses look really goofy. A game on a 3D monitor might be cool, but would mostly jsut be gimmickey. I'll hold out until they have *actual* 3D projection, with no need for funny (and probably uncomfortable) glasses.

compdata said:
News Flash for everyone who wants 3d without waring some form of eyeware. The only way to get a 3 dimensional image is to create image separation between what your eyes see. So either you create a true 3-d model/image (think 3-d hologram) or you have to come up with some way to create two images on the same flat surface and trick you eyes into only seeing one of them. So get use to 3-d glasses or opt for some retinal implants that either filter colors to trick your eyes or that alternate frames between your eyes.

I'm almost positive its already been stated that down the line you will not need the glasses to view it(requiring another new tv). I think it was within 5 or 10 years. So, Its not such a dream like your describing it as.

When they eliminate the glasses, i'll be onboard... until then this is little improvement over the old tech

the cost of these so called 3d sets is going to be high plus you have to wear glasses that is just lame in and of itself. we are in the HD revolution right now why go to a new format when over half of the people in the US dont even own HD tv's or lcd monitors for that matter? how much will it cost $1000 for a set and $200 for glasses this will not catch on like they hope it will only people with deep pokets will want to buy this and then the novelty will wear off and it will be used as a 2d monitor for the remainder of its life.

This is OLD technology. Nothing new here. I remember Sega Of America first introduced the 3-D shutter Glasses for ther 8-Bit game system 'The Sega Master System' back in 1987-88. Each shutter flicker @ 1/60 of a second.The screen that displays the image from your tv is out of sync. So in the end, this create a 3D effect.

As far as i know, watching anything on a 3d lcd wearing 3d glasses can cause you a headache in less than 10 minutes, I don't really think this will be a success.

I have a 22" LG monitor, and im pretty happy with it. Don't feel like moving to the 3d era, btw my glasses pretty mess up everything. Hope to take them off soon though. 90% of the electronics in my house are LG, it's my choice of a brand, they're very reliable, and work just great! As always LG has proven themselves right :)

Like all some others here, I wonder whether this will be not too expensive and whether it will or won't give you sore eyes/motion sickness. Though it seems great to finally get a product on the market.

It's about time a full HD 3D monitor came out, I think the reason a lot of people held off buying the Samsung one was because it was only 1650x1050.

wait...weren't they doing this same "3d" crap back in the 50s...come on people get over this, Yes it's a nice gimmick but it is not going to sell, What I would like to see more of is that 360degree viewable monitor that Sony demoed at CES. Now that was 3d.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back