Limits of System Restore

SledgeProne

In an ill fated attempt to circumvent the rather precarious task of updating and installing new system drivers, recruiting the aid of "Slimdrivers", has in turn, left me up a creek without a paddle.

After a PCI bus driver install went sour, I'm missing an ethernet controller. Will a Windows system restore govern the effects of these issues. Restoring via the application freezes up mid stream.

Thanks for casting any light.

System Restore point captures the registry and what Windows thinks are critical files. But sys restore is not a full backup so there's no guarantee but suggest you try it. It should let you revert back if it can't restore. Let us know

/* edit */
btw.. if system restore fails, also try right click the device in DevMgr->Properties Driver tab. Click Roll Back Driver. see if that helps

Thanks for replying Lookin, as the System Restore was successful.

I recall having adding the system drivers individually when I first installed the OS on my new SATA drives. but with this XP version (pre-SP1), and having lost the MB CD install drivers, the task to do so seemed harrowing to say the least.

I am however convinced, that I'll be better served updating them with the assistance of THIS forum, rather than any third party, automated update software..

Back