Linksys router stopped working, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

adu123

my Linksys router suddenly stoped working yesterday, normally it has four lights lit on, but now the "WLAN" light is off for no reason, and the oragne light is off also.. does that mean the router is dead, and I have to buy a new one?

btw, I tried resetting it, but didn't solved the problem

thx in advance

I'm just curious, does anyone know what's the averge lifespan of a linsys router?

I only used mine for about 2 yrs, it seems a little bit short...

Thx in advance.

Well you can unplug everything, and uninstall all the LinkSys software. Reboot, then reinstall.

It could be the power adapter, or a bad power socket from the wall.

I would take it to a friend;s house to install, to see if it runs properly installed to a different computer.

It could be the power adapter, or a bad power socket from the wall.
if the culprit was the power adapter, none of the light would lit on, right? but the router still shows 3 lights (power, ethernet, Internet), so I think it's the router itself that has the problem.

btw, do you know how long does a linsys router usually last?

Thx for your help :)

I brought a new linksys router wrt120N, everything seems to be working now. I tried to find my old router WRT54G, but the sale man told me they stop selling that model, and he said wrt120N is the new model which I kinda doubted, is it true?

I brought a new linksys router wrt120N, everything seems to be working now. I tried to find my old router WRT54G, but the sale man told me they stop selling that model, and he said wrt120N is the new model which I kinda doubted, is it true?
you need extra software *ONLY* if the router is attached to your system using USB. Ethernet RJ45 connections need nada, zip, nothing -- that's the beauty of networking :)

Most of the previous models have been living 5 to seven years and longer... but I have seen them die after only three months on many occasions... they know this, and just send you another without argument.

I'm just curious, does anyone know what's the averge lifespan of a linsys router?

I only used mine for about 2 yrs, it seems a little bit short...

Thx in advance.

I just retired my BEFSR4 after about 8 years, not because it was bad, I just wanted a more modern router. I got a D-link DIR-655 and it is fantastic, even with wireless turned off it's a great 4 port router, wireless seems to work well, no issues and I run it in low power mode.

Nobody tracks that sort of stuff. We see five of them in our shops, or home tech visits every week... some are 10 years old, some seven, the average is probably five, but we also see a number of them that are barely out of warranty... or still in warranty.

A lot of the time, damage is done by the system in the building not being accurately installed... or bad wiring, or bad Communications Systems or companies... or defective computers... or defective home wiring...

You get a warranty, then you takes your chances after the warranty expires.

I can tell you that in our experience, the LinkSys is among the most reliable... exceeded only by Cisco... DLink is very close. Some brands and models seem to be designed to last only a year or two...

But ask your cable company or DSL provider... They will NOT install any unit that has a high failure rate... and LinkSys is very good, but also very expensive, compared to many in use.

I got a D-link DIR-655 and it is fantastic, even with wireless turned off it's a great 4 port router, wireless seems to work well, no issues and I run it in low power mode.
AHH! That does make a difference. I've seen many comments that
where the high power option is available and enabled, those router tend to fail more quickly.

Several possibilities on why; duty cycle too high for the design and over heading to name two

the LinkSys is among the most reliable... exceeded only by Cisco... DLink is very close.
My Netgear has been very reliable over three years and supportsip address mapping using MAC Filtering which I love to partition the subnet into trusted vs non-trusted systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back