Linksys Router WRT54G2 V1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since i had to wipe my PC due to a massive virus, my internet has not been the same. My Linksys Router WRT54G2 V1 randomly loses its wireless connection and even the hardwired connection to my Xbox. But, the main line in port one, which is directly connected to my PC does not seem to be effected. I have reinstalled the LELA (Linksys Easy Link Advisor) updated the modem, and I just pressed the reset button a couple times on the back of the router, didn't seem to fix anything.

Heres the thing, when i unplug the router and the modem and restart them, everything works fine for a little while, then something about my IP gets messed up. Before I wiped my PC everything was fine, does anyone have any ideas of what this could be? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you running torrents? You may have had things optimized previously on how your PC handled lots of connections, which eased the load on the router.

If everything is exactly the same as before on your PC, it may just be a coincidence. Have you tried updating the firmware on the router?

I have reset the router to it's factory default and it worked for about a day. This morning the router wouldn't let me access its page again through 192.168.1.1 it says the page is unavailable. After I reset it it worked once again.. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

You didn't answer either of my questions... So my only suggestion is to update the firmware for the modem. If you are still having problems you might consider putting DD-WRT on the router.

I am not running any torrents, and I already updated firmware.. Sorry I skippped your question. The settings on my router are wpa2 personal or something like that. Do you think it's that or something else? It's almost as if my router locks up every x amount of time and needs a manuel reboot

How long have you had the router? Do you have everything on surge protection? I know it sounds silly to even ask but sometimes it's the simplest things that are overlooked. Have you checked your event viewer on your machine to see if you can find another process that is causing errors or warnings? There is usually a reason for everything you just have to know where to look.

I have had this router for about 1 1/2 years maybe less. Yes, everything is plugged in to a surge protector. The only thing that is different about my computer now from when everything worked fine is that I have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, I doubt that could have anything to do with it though.

Just talked to a tech guy over the phone through my dad's company. He thinks it's either my internet cable, the router, or the modem that's starting to go bad.

I had a WRT-54g go bad in the exact same fashion. So if you aren't running anything that has an abnormal amount of connections going on I'd say the router is on its way out. Might be worth giving the DD-WRT firmware a shot, it seemed to buy another few days of life on mine.

Hi Nitric- I'm with SNGX1275. I asked about the age because I have a friend to have theirs die about the same timeframe as yours. If everything else is grand then it's probably just your router. It's unlikely that your cabling is bad if its been fine for this long. As long as you don't have a cat chewing on it or anything. :) hee-hee

Hey Nitric be kind and post what your findings are after hooking up the new router that way we know whether or not we had the prob pegged. If it's not the router I would be extremely curious to see what it turns out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back