Linksys wireless-G pci adapter with G broadband router

Status
Not open for further replies.

g.freeman

hi, my first post here hope im doing things right.

i just bought a new Linksys Wireless - G Broadband Router and
a Linksys Wireless - G PCI adapter, and im having some problems but lets start by telling u what i am using it for.

i have a pc out in our basement that that has a SB4100 cable modem (Motorola Surfboard) and id like to get the same highspeed in my room which just has dial up so i went out and bought some Liksys products and i followed the tut's that werent difficult, so now i have the router conencted to my cable modem so the internet on the pc in my basement works, and i have the adapter hooked up to my pc in my room. they connected fine and the adapter connected with the router fine as well, they say they have a very good to excellent connection but the problem is when i try to get the pc in my room to something online it tells me that "this cannont be displayed offline."

in the bottom right where it shows my internet connection theres 2 different connection symbols one that shows the Linksys wireless adapter and one that shows my old dial up connection the dial up connection shows as off line and when u put the mouse over it it says it has been disconnected, but the linksys wireless connection symbol says online with a great conenction.

i tried taking the old dial up card out but that didnt do anything (i didnt expect it too) and the same thing came up again.

so the problem is it says im connected to my main modem in the other room but im not getting anything out of it, ive done google searches but there isnt anything on my problem.

im sure its something incredibly simple that i just missed or something plz help if u can.

/edit ya i now realize this is in the wrong section but help if u can since i cant or dont know how to move it

do this.

Start>run>cmd hit enter
type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes.. hit enter

look for line that says IP address .. it should read 192.168.1.x where x is random number generated by routers dhcp..

also look for the following Default gateway. should be 192.168.1.1 (if you didn't change the routers default ip address)

also look for DNS Servers.. you should have atleast 1 most times 2 listed here.. they will be assigned by your cable provider.

if you do not see something close to the above your router is not allowing wireless internet access.... i have seen this before. you will have to login to the admin console of the router. typically http://192.168.1.1 from a internet explorer window.

then click on the security tab, then go to wireless, and enable wireless internet access.(location may not be exact depending on model of your wireless linksys router)

my IP address says that
but my default gateway is blank

and i see nothing about any DNS servers except ti says "connection-specific DNS suffix . :" and that is blank also

login to the router and make sure it has allow wireless internet access set to enabled.

that is your problem. you are getting a ip address from the router via DHCP but it is not giving you the default gateway and the DNS addresses because it is set to not allow wireless internet access.

ok, that seems simple enough but the prob now is that i dont see where it asks me to enable or diable wireless internet?

i ahve been looking for something like that all day but i must of missed something

i got loged into my router settings, so i know what u r talking about now

but under wireless it says
Wireless SSID Broadcast: enabled

so if thats what u were talkin about it was already enabled in the first place and if thats not what u were talking about i misunderstood u

ok. just looked at the user guide for that model and i do not see that option either.

try setting the wireless router to only 1 802.11 protocal.. b or g not mixed mode.. depending on what wireless card you have.

SSID is the service set identifier.. it is kind of like your workgroup name when setting up a peer to peer network. enabling this allow the router to broadcast that SSID to anyone within broadcast range, thus making it less secure because anyone doing some war driving can see that you have a wireless network because your router is simply sayin here i am and here is what "workgoup" can connect to me.

you will need to set that to disabled once you have your network connection working properly, you will also need to enable WEP and configure it.

ok i didnt see that last post of urs so im going to anser it now

so u want me to disable the Wireless SSID Broadcast?

ok i just screwed something up i tried changing the SSID name to linksys2 instead of just linksys to see if it was even picking up the same router and now it cant find any signal at all.... oops

/edit nm void this post it just took a while for it to find the connection again

no the wireless card try going to command prompt again.

ipconfig /release "enter"
ipconfig /renew "enter"

ipconfig /all "enter"

now do you have a default gateway. if not you can always manually configure that.

right click your mynetworkplaces icon and go to properties. find TCP>IP in the list , highlight it and click properties. enter an ipaddress for the card ex. 192.168.1.105 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway of 192.168.1.1

for your dns info you will need to refer back to the router config page go to the status page and it should list your dns servers ip addresses.. put them in dns1 and dns2 settings... click apply>ok then see what happens.

ok i have a question about where u want me to check my IP confuration... do u want me to do it on the computer with the router or the one with the adapter?

do the commands i just posted on the wireless computer.

also do these.
(do not type "enter" hit the enter key. :) )

ipconfig /flushdns "enter"
ipconfig /registerdns "enter"

alright...
when i try doing just the first
ipconfig /release this comes up

"No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected."

also the same when i do /renew

oh and btw i get the whole "enter" thing :p

i figured you did. just goofing around really.

ah.. also disable your onboard NIC card. not the wireless one but if you have a CAT5 NIC right click on it and disable it.

also just for the heck of it do a reboot on your computer.

u mean my local area connection? srry im not sure what u mean when u say CAT5 NIC

oh and the reboot is on its way ;)

and im not sure if i said this earlier i took out my original internet card (card where u plug in your phone cord or modem)

ok. when you right click my network places and go to properties. exactly what is listed there.

I will tell you which to disable.

ok... the thing is there isnt a my network places on the wireless pc there is one on my modem pc but i know how to get to the properties there without the icon. i jsut double click on the Local Area Connection in the bottom right (which is in the disconnected state)

is htis the same thing?

ok heres whats under that in full detail

Broadband
broadband connection
disconnected
WAN Miniport (PPPOE)

Dial up
My ISP
Disconnected, Shared
GTW V.92 Voice Modem

LAN or HighSpeed Internet
Local Area Connection
Network cable unplugged
Intel(R) Pro/100 VE......

1394 Connection
Enabled
1394 Net Adapter

Wireless Network Connection
Enabled
Linksys wireless-G PCI Adapter

disable everything except

Wireless Network Connection
Enabled
Linksys wireless-G PCI Adapter

then run ipconfig /all
did you configure the tcp/ip properties on the wireless Network connection yet?

ok i disabled everything except that and i can tell we've maid progress now

and did u ever tell me to cofigure the tcp/ip? cause if not then probably not :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back