Linksys WRT54G question

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK ... I'm sure this might have been asked, but i'll try to make it quick..

I have a Linksys WRT54G (ver. 6) and occasionally, it drops connection(common) but it's not getting any signal from my cable modem. So no computer in the house (wired or wireless) can get an internet connection..

The cable modem is fine, as if I plug a PC directly to the cable modem, I can get on the internet, so It has to be something with the Router. This is my 2nd Linksys router. I would try a different router, but I recently setup a WAP54G to bridge a wired network I have in a different location of my home, and i am unsure if i go with a different brand router that my WAP54G will function with say a D-Link or Netgear Router....

I tried updating the Firmware, but no such luck with this..
It happens like once a week or so.

Any suggestions?!

Thanks in Advance...

Whan you get disconnected, can you still access the router setup webpage? What does the status page say?

Try upgrading the router firmware to the latest version.

When the disconnect happens I Cannot access the router setup page.
which is what makes me think that it's something with the router, the latest firmware has already been upgraded.

thanks again.

Sorry.. Blind me :)

So you can't connect to the router even using a wired connection..

Maybe try disabling all kinds of non-essential stuff on the router?
Turn off packet filtering, DHCP maybe. You can even disable the wireless since you have an AP anyway (or do you need extended coverage?).

Could it be that you are running some software that overloads the router? P2P programs have a nasty habit like that for example.

lol no problem ....

even with a wired connection.
i'll try the disabling and see how it goes.. even DHCP? and just run a static shop? I'll try it.. i have no qualms with that... well see the reason for the AP is to actually be an Wireless Bridge.. to bridge my wired net to the wireless net.. (wireless has the internet connection)

and i am aware p2p can overload it, oddly enough it seems random, and it seems to occur when the network is generally idle, nothing really transfering across it...

I appreciate ALL help thanks. I thought it was maybe just the router is defective..

IF i purchase another router, say NOT linksys, will my WAP54G still be able to function as a bridge? or does it have to be linksys all through...

EDIT - I was thinking of trying a 3rd Party Firmware, Like DD-WRT any suggestions on that?

I cleared my data, but you can use your linksys as AP doesn't matter, but since is dropping connections, you might want to buy something else. I just recommend Buffalo tech Router/AP because it works for me. I use to be a strong Linksys Router person for years but after V2, V3 and didn't go for V4 then the wireless one came out so much problems. I got Belkin AP worked great but didn't have modern features which are needed today.

P2P you need a good wired router then use a another router as wireless AP.
I use linksys 2/5 ports switch and 1 8 port switch and even got 5 port dlink very fast but gets hot and drops packets and freezes.

If you're in the states go and get Dynex E-401 wired router from Best Buy it's only $39 bucks it built off the D-Link 704 and tweaked by Dynex makes very quick wired router for downloading or controling your entired WAN and LAN. It can handle all those P2P connections. Wireless Routers just can't handle those packet request unless you get gamer wired router from dlink.. That one cost more. The one I use from Dynex has gamer and VPN modes and Dyns ip masking features when you want to use your IP as web link connection.

Anyway good luck...

No post the above someone thought I was running and ad, but I wasn't just posting the info for the Routers/Access Point I use.

Anyway not much you can do with the Linksys Router Wireless, yeah you can update the firmware, which I find doesn't really help you have to revert back to the prior. Reset doesn't always work. Belkin Wireless Routers are the same and should be avoided. They do make good wireless PCMICA cards though 54G ones Ver. 5x works very good.

Linksys when it was Linksys was very good for Routers then Cisco took over well you know what happen next. Funny at work they use New 8-port switch the metal ones they don't give any trouble. The plastic blue ones do, go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back