Linux first to support USB 3.0, hardware still in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Promising faster speeds and lower demand on machines, the upcoming USB 3.0 standard is intended to be the next best thing for the ubiquitous technology. With hardware manufacturers already introducing USB 3.0 controllers and compatible hardware expected to follow soon, you'd assume that the biggest names in the software industry would be hot on their heels, creating drivers that supported the new technology. But no, neither Microsoft nor Apple are touting out of the box USB 3.0 support in their upcoming operating systems.

Meanwhile, a developer at Intel's Open Source Technology Center has been working on USB 3.0 support for the Linux kernel that has reportedly been finalized. Furthermore, the developer has released instructions on how to get USB 3.0 working already – despite an obvious lack of USB 3.0 hardware out there.

We agree there's little point to the achievement for now. But in the meantime, if you are interested in learning what future USB 3.0 holds for us, check out this article detailing everything you need to know about the technology.

Permalink to story.

I expect windows XP, Vista and 7 will be able to support USB3.0 soon, I expect apples OSs will as well. Its not like these big names to fall behind the times.

Yeah, I agree. It isn't like current OSes aren't going to support it.

However, I think the rationale for this being news is Linux is the underdog and it's cool that it will have the first support. That requires hardware manufacturer support and that means that people are working with Linux developers more closely than they probably were 10 years ago.

For Linux to have any success in the consumer market, it needs that industry support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back